Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac at UCLA?

I was visiting a friend of mine who goes to UCLA and she told me that her professor for a music class said that "Fleetwood Mac played here in the 70s". She said he was saying that it was during their big tour for Rumours. But I've never heard about them giving a concert at UCLA in those days? I know they did the Rock N Run in the 80s but I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything about a Rumours era show there. Where it would even have been held?

Does anyone know anything?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM

This gave me a sort of deja vu so I made a couple of researches and I suddenly remembered that it was actually a debated matter.

Basically most sites listing the dates of the Rumours Tour don't feature a UCLA date but only a date in Santa Barbara at the UC Stadium on the 2nd of October 1977 (which was a rescheduled from May due to bad weather, and Stevie apparently dedicated Landslide to the opening act Kenny Loggins) and then two consecutive dates in San Diego on the 3rd and 4th, but some reliable Ledgies said they in fact remembered/attended a UCLA date on the 4th of October 1977 during which Stevie famously dedicated Landslide to Lindsey, from which it generated this famous internet quote:

I need to dedicate this tonight to Lindsey and he knows why; he’s my one true love for now and for always. It’s called Landslide.

Honestly I think it's highly likely that both dates are incorrect and the UCLA date was on the 3rd of October which is Lindsey's birthday and thus Stevie dedicated Landslide to him, but that's just my assumption.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Where would they have played at UCLA? The basketball arena? Was that used for concerts? That's the first I have heard of that.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
This gave me a sort of deja vu so I made a couple of researches and I suddenly remembered that it was actually a debated matter.

Basically most sites listing the dates of the Rumours Tour don't feature a UCLA date but only a date in Santa Barbara at the UC Stadium on the 2nd of October 1977 (which was a rescheduled from May due to bad weather, and Stevie apparently dedicated Landslide to the opening act Kenny Loggins) and then two consecutive dates in San Diego on the 3rd and 4th, but some reliable Ledgies said they in fact remembered/attended a UCLA date on the 4th of October 1977 during which Stevie famously dedicated Landslide to Lindsey, from which it generated this famous internet quote:

I need to dedicate this tonight to Lindsey and he knows why; he’s my one true love for now and for always. It’s called Landslide.

Honestly I think it's highly likely that both dates are incorrect and the UCLA date was on the 3rd of October which is Lindsey's birthday and thus Stevie dedicated Landslide to him, but that's just my assumption.
Oh that's interesting wow. When she told me about it I at first immediately assumed it was referencing the Rock N Run event but she swears up and down that he said it was "in the 70s when they had that big album Rumours". I wonder if anyone here was around in those days and could offer some insight?
Old 06-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Where would they have played at UCLA? The basketball arena? Was that used for concerts? That's the first I have heard of that.
I wondered that too. Maybe Royce Hall but that would be odd for a rock concert unless it was a special show or something.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Surely they could not be confusing the Dodger Stadium video of Tusk? I think they also appeared at a halftime performance during a USC game—maybe that was against UCLA?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
Surely they could not be confusing the Dodger Stadium video of Tusk? I think they also appeared at a halftime performance during a USC game—maybe that was against UCLA?
I thought about it, however the Tusk video was shot the 4th of June 1979 in the empty Dodger Stadium while the halftime show you're talking about was USC versus Arizona State University on October the 4th 1980 at the LA Coliseum; Mick, Lindsey and Stevie presented the USC Trojan band a Gold record for their participation in Tusk and then the band marched with Stevie twirling the baton and Mick playing the drum, no concert that I know of.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought about it, however the Tusk video was shot the 4th of June 1979 in the empty Dodger Stadium while the halftime show you're talking about was USC versus Arizona State University on October the 4th 1980 at the LA Coliseum; Mick, Lindsey and Stevie presented the USC Trojan band a Gold record for their participation in Tusk and then the band marched with Stevie twirling the baton and Mick playing the drum, no concert that I know of.
I doubt someone would get those two confused but I do think it's very likely he was referring to the Rock N Run event from the 80s but got the info mixed up.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There doesn't seem to be an appearance by FM at UCLA

https://web.archive.org/web/20060101...m:80/main.html
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM

The Rock n' Run was held in 1983 and it wasn't an official Fleetwood Mac appearance but a charity event with participations of different members of various bands, on stage there were Stevie, Mick with his band when it still wasn't named The Zoo, Christine, John, Billy and Bonnie Raitt; I find this would also be difficult to mix up with a Rumours era show of the band. It's possible that the date wasn't 1977 but if the year it's wrong I think it'd be at most the previous or following Tour.

It's likely that it's the wording that it's wrong, like for the Largo shows that are actually in Landover or the Inglewood shows that aren't actually in Los Angeles, they may have not have played specifically on the Campus of UCLA but somewhere nearby.

Talking about the date, the site posted above by Street_Dreamer used to be one of the most reliable but it's not complete because for some time periods for which there aren't agreeing informations sources, in fact the dates that go from the 2nd of October to the 9th of November aren't listed at all: https://web.archive.org/web/20060510...html#itinerary
Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Rock n' Run was held in 1983 and it wasn't an official Fleetwood Mac appearance but a charity event with participations of different members of various bands, on stage there were Stevie, Mick with his band when it still wasn't named The Zoo, Christine, John, Billy and Bonnie Raitt; I find this would also be difficult to mix up with a Rumours era show of the band. It's possible that the date wasn't 1977 but if the year it's wrong I think it'd be at most the previous or following Tour.

It's likely that it's the wording that it's wrong, like for the Largo shows that are actually in Landover or the Inglewood shows that aren't actually in Los Angeles, they may have not have played specifically on the Campus of UCLA but somewhere nearby.

Talking about the date, the site posted above by Street_Dreamer used to be one of the most reliable but it's not complete because for some time periods for which there aren't agreeing informations sources, in fact the dates that go from the 2nd of October to the 9th of November aren't listed at all: https://web.archive.org/web/20060510...html#itinerary
Hmmmm that's interesting. So maybe they did actually do a show there somehow but it just wasn't documented properly? If people said they were there/knew about it. If so I'm really jealous LOL. Getting to see Fleetwood Mac in the Rumours era at the beautiful UCLA area would've been like, the peak of life.

Last edited by dreamsunwind; 06-07-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They played Pauley Pavilion. I think there were two nights at Pauley. It's weird that it's not part of the tour data online, but it happened. I don't remember the exact date, but it had to have been in the fall, when they were in town for the Forum gigs. There was an idiot in a Bruin mascot costume running around. Maybe some of the other oldtimers remember the date or have their ticket stub?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They played Pauley Pavilion. I think there were two nights at Pauley. It's weird that it's not part of the tour data online, but it happened. I don't remember the exact date, but it had to have been in the fall, when they were in town for the Forum gigs. There was an idiot in a Bruin mascot costume running around. Maybe some of the other oldtimers remember the date or have their ticket stub?
Thank you very much David, I thought that you were one of the mentioned people that knew about this elusive date but I wasn't sure.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Oh how interesting! Thanks for sharing!
I checked online it says they played the Forum in August of 77 so definitely not the fall, but the quote that supposedly took place at UCLA that SisterNightroad shared is dated as being October 4.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Oh how interesting! Thanks for sharing!
I checked online it says they played the Forum in August of 77 so definitely not the fall, but the quote that supposedly took place at UCLA that SisterNightroad shared is dated as being October 4.
Actually it's not impossible that it was October because the 2nd of October it's documented that they were in Santa Barbara for that rescheduled show, and some days later they were apparently in San Diego so Los Angeles would have been on their way anyway.
It may be possible that the rescheduling of the Santa Barbara show led to necessarily postponed some other dates as well generating confusion in the various sources.