The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My CD of this comes from Germany (like my Chicken Shack CD, they must have had quite a following)... and the whole album is sort of muddy sounding. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the German manufacturing or, as I'd thought before, the producer and Bob Welch's influence (he wanting a heavier sound then). Maybe somebody hit the dolby switch too many times or something. Perhaps I should try a U.S. copy and see if it's any clearer?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
My CD of this comes from Germany (like my Chicken Shack CD, they must have had quite a following)... and the whole album is sort of muddy sounding. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the German manufacturing or, as I'd thought before, the producer and Bob Welch's influence (he wanting a heavier sound then). Maybe somebody hit the dolby switch too many times or something. Perhaps I should try a U.S. copy and see if it's any clearer?
No, you're right. The album is, on the whole, pretty muddy sounding. But the songs themselves are excellent. Recast live, "Bermuda Triangle" and "Angel" are outstanding. Chris's "Come a Little Bit Closer" and "Prove Your Love" are great tunes that would benefit from better arrangements and a crisper, cleaner production sound.

Notwithstanding some of the problems with production, the title tune comes off sounding pretty lively and exciting, I think.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm...interesting. My copy of the CD is really crisp & clear...surprisingly crisp & clear. 100x's better than the Mirage or Behind The Mask CDs.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And my Mirage is from the late '80s (with no 'Notes' titled review page) and sounds fine. My 1984 Christine McVie is from the same time or maybe earlier and also sounds great.

Well, I like the title Heroes track and Angel best and think they'd have to be on any best of. I also like Safe Harbour quite a bit. Coming Home makes me think of some gigantic spaceship landing. In a way this is kind of like FM trying to do a Pink Floyd album, like say Saucerful Of Secrets or Meddle.