User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I'd say Peter got the title from the bird itself, no reason to read any more into it than that.
I've no idea what Peter's exact inspiration for the song, but there's every reason to believe there's more to it than just the bird itself. The albatross is a major literary symbol. It's almost impossible to think of without thinking of Baudelaire or, especially, Coleridge.

At any rate, it might be a good question to throw John's way. Or perhaps Jeremy knows, if he's still reading through all our drivel.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I've no idea what Peter's exact inspiration for the song, but there's every reason to believe there's more to it than just the bird itself. The albatross is a major literary symbol. It's almost impossible to think of without thinking of Baudelaire or, especially, Coleridge.

At any rate, it might be a good question to throw John's way. Or perhaps Jeremy knows, if he's still reading through all our drivel.

Nope, the truth IS that Green got the title from "Hole in my shoe". He's said so himself in an interview. So any litterary theory should be applied to Mason's tune. It's a quote from a poem I think, can't remember who. An English poet.

By the way, the melody was based on a group of notes he had heard Clapton play at one time.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Nope, the truth IS that Green got the title from "Hole in my shoe". He's said so himself in an interview. So any litterary theory should be applied to Mason's tune. It's a quote from a poem I think, can't remember who. An English poet.
Good enough for me!

The applicable lyric from the Traffic song:

"I climbed on the back of a giant albatross
Which flew through a crack in the cloud
To a place where happiness reigned all year round
Where music played ever so loudly"

I'd say Peter's song definitely captures the feeling of riding on the back of an albatross through the clouds, though perhaps not to a place where the music is playing terribly loudly.

Mason's albatross seems to come from the more traditional sailor's view of the animal as a pious bird of good omen, though, rather than from the more negative literary representations in Coleridge or Baudelaire.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Regardless of the title's genesis, the composition must have held great personal significance for Green as it was performed at almost every show after first being introduced into the set list.
More than just giving the audience what it wanted to hear (that never seemed a high priority for the Green led version of the band)it was as much for himself as them. He would usually introduce the number with some variation of how the number was the best thing he'd done or how the number brought him a sense of peace, and hopes it can do the same for the audience,etc.
He could even get defensive about it, like at the mid-1969 show at the College of Distributive Arts - throughout the show, some bloke had been shouting for "Moneymaker" and after finishing "Albatross" the hooligan continues his demand once more and now others have picked up on it also.
Green begins to speak, but backs down momentarily under the onslaught of calls and then forges on, thanking all those who bought “that record”, thanking them for making it the success that it was, before adding, in a very calm voice, “anyone who doesn’t like it…can get ****ed. ‘Cause I like it and that’s why it’s in the set…”

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Regardless of the title's genesis, the composition must have held great personal significance for Green as it was performed at almost every show after first being introduced into the set list.
More than just giving the audience what it wanted to hear (that never seemed a high priority for the Green led version of the band)it was as much for himself as them. He would usually introduce the number with some variation of how the number was the best thing he'd done or how the number brought him a sense of peace, and hopes it can do the same for the audience,etc.
He could even get defensive about it, like at the mid-1969 show at the College of Distributive Arts - throughout the show, some bloke had been shouting for "Moneymaker" and after finishing "Albatross" the hooligan continues his demand once more and now others have picked up on it also.
Green begins to speak, but backs down momentarily under the onslaught of calls and then forges on, thanking all those who bought “that record”, thanking them for making it the success that it was, before adding, in a very calm voice, “anyone who doesn’t like it…can get ****ed. ‘Cause I like it and that’s why it’s in the set…”
Thats one thing I adore about Peter. He just doesnt give a **** what people think. If it makes him happy that's all that matters.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Thats one thing I adore about Peter. He just doesnt give a **** what people think. If it makes him happy that's all that matters.
Think you the nail on the head there! He still seems to be that way, despite all the trouble he's been through.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Think you the nail on the head there! He still seems to be that way, despite all the trouble he's been through.
Thats a sign of a person with good character as far as I'm concerned. He always stays true to himself.