User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
None of their songs were ever anthologized (outside of The Chain box set) in the States - you never heard them on the radio even when the albums were first released - later, you might have come across "Sentimental Lady" or "Hypnotized" once in a great while, and I do believe I once heard "Bare Trees" played, but that was before all of the radio stations across the nation became strictly formatted.
I was fairly stunned to hear "Child Of Mine" from Bare Trees on the radio when I was at Mammoth Mountain in the Eastern Sierra last summer - not sure I'd ever heard that on the radio before. I suspect it may have been satellite radio but I don't really know.

I do remember hearing a couple of songs from Heroes Are Hard To Find on the radio when it was the band's current album - "Silver Heels" in particular was getting a fair amount of ariplay at KSAN in San Francisco in those days. Of course, that was back in the days of "free-form" radio.......
Old 04-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
I do remember hearing a couple of songs from Heroes Are Hard To Find on the radio when it was the band's current album - "Silver Heels" in particular was getting a fair amount of ariplay at KSAN in San Francisco in those days. Of course, that was back in the days of "free-form" radio.......
Actually, down south here in the LA area, both KMET & KNAC actually had THREE songs from HaHtF in their rotation..."Angel", "Bad Loser" & "Bermuda Triangle".
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Actually, down south here in the LA area, both KMET & KNAC actually had THREE songs from HaHtF in their rotation..."Angel", "Bad Loser" & "Bermuda Triangle".
Yes, I'm pretty sure "Angel" got some airplay on KSAN too, and the title track as well, but "Silver Heels" was played a lot more. I don't remember the other two you mention being played, but it's possible they might have been.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm from Rochester, NY and heard the title track to "Heroes" on a semi-regular basis up until the 90s. Never heard other tracks from that album on the air.

The only other pre-BN tunes I heard on the radio from our local rock station were "Spare Me a Little" (on a late-night show hosted by a dj called Uncle Roger), Hypnotized (several times on several stations), and Sentimental Lady.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A little bit off topic... but I heard "Mission Bell" on Norwegian radio half a year ago. The concept was to play the 100th song by different bands, and when they came to Fleetwood Mac, they played "Mission Bell". I don't know how they came to that particular song though.... But it was great to hear!!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Danny did some acid in Germany (according to Bob Brunning's book) that seemed to have effected his personality badly, as it did with Peter. We don't know how much to attribute to that. Mick and John were also trying out various substances at different periods which also would affect how they might have responded to Danny. I am a huge fan of Dan's songs but I think he was and is treated pretty well by Mick and others. I can say that musically his influence on others, not just those close to him has been hard to deduce. Peter seems to have been the initiator away from strict blues with everyone else following in their own time, and maybe Danny was more receptive to that.

Early on Danny seems to have relished attention and even been competitive about getting his earned share, while later became paranoid and was disliking attention, which are pretty well known side effects of drug use or 'bad trips'.

P.S.: I recall Hypnotized being a pretty major FM staple in the '70s, but maybe a pacific northwest phenomenon, along with Steely Dan and Boston. How often do Mahavishnu Orchestra get played on radio? But they are sellers as well as artistic successes. If Danny's music fell through the cracks of commercial radio he is far from alone, but this is also what makes a record freak; finding stuff like this that got passed over.

Last edited by becca; 05-11-2006 at 03:29 AM..
Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
Danny did some acid in Germany (according to Bob Brunning's book) that seemed to have effected his personality badly, as it did with Peter. We don't know how much to attribute to that. Mick and John were also trying out various substances at different periods which also would affect how they might have responded to Danny. I am a huge fan of Dan's songs but I think he was and is treated pretty well by Mick and others. I can say that musically his influence on others, not just those close to him has been hard to deduce. Peter seems to have been the initiator away from strict blues with everyone else following in their own time, and maybe Danny was more receptive to that.

Early on Danny seems to have relished attention and even been competitive about getting his earned share, while later became paranoid and was disliking attention, which are pretty well known side effects of drug use or 'bad trips'.

P.S.: I recall Hypnotized being a pretty major FM staple in the '70s, but maybe a pacific northwest phenomenon, along with Steely Dan and Boston. How often do Mahavishnu Orchestra get played on radio? But they are sellers as well as artistic successes. If Danny's music fell through the cracks of commercial radio he is far from alone, but this is also what makes a record freak; finding stuff like this that got passed over.
Well, Bob Brunning's book is NOT very accurate on many topics. Danny wasn't with Peter on the "acid trip" in Munich. Drinking probably had more to do with his decline than any "bad trip", but he obviously had problems before that, obsessive-compulsive behaviour like biting his nails until his fingers were bleeding...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the heads up about that. brunning seemed to make quite a point about that acid trip ruining two brilliant careers and it stuck in my head. I'd like to see a new line-up doing Jewel Eyed Judy, which was probably the most commercially successful Kirwan song being a single A side and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
Well, Bob Brunning's book is NOT very accurate on many topics. Danny wasn't with Peter on the "acid trip" in Munich.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
I'd like to see a new line-up doing Jewel Eyed Judy, which was probably the most commercially successful Kirwan song being a single A side and all.
As far as "well-known" Kirwan songs, pretty much nothing comes close to "Station Man" (due to its inclusion in those 1975-77 concert sets)

"A-side" of a single means nothing...when Mystery To Me was released and "For Your Love" was chosen as the single, "Hypnotized" (the B-side) got infinitely more airplay.