User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac

It would have been nice if Fleetwood Mac would have performed a Kirwan number on the SYW tour so that at least something got to Danny in terms of royalties....
God forbid they should learn a new song! It'd be just as easy for them to give him $5,000, a few times a year.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Fly to Tokyo?
Yeah really I wonder if there are any Japanese ledgies that could help out? Pretty please? With sugur on top?

John
Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They are showing up on eBay from Japanese sellers, but the competition seems a bit hot for my liking. Maybe in a week or two it will have settled down. I'm lucky in that the guy who told me about them in the first place bought the box set and the individual CDs, then decided to sell the individual CDs to me He got his family in Japan to send them to him though...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sweet F.A. probably...

You know, sorry for just hijacking the thread for a moment, David Gilmour insisted on performing Syd Barrett tracks live on the 1994 Pink Floyd tour (which was released on CD and video and will, eventually come out on DVD!) and he performed a couple of Barrett numbers in 2002 which were released on DVD. The reason I'm saying this is that, even though Syd is looked after in his day to day needs, this was Gilmour's way of making sure Syd got some royalites even though he can't approach Syd because of his illness... It's a great thing to do.

It would have been nice if Fleetwood Mac would have performed a Kirwan number on the SYW tour so that at least something got to Danny in terms of royalties....
i like your highjack mfm. it sure would have been a great thing for them to have done for danny, assuming that danny actually does have a stake in his own songs - earlier in this thread cD suggested that he does not...

but the difference between mac/ danny k and dave gilmour/barret, and roger waters/barrett for that matter, is that gilmour and waters owe their livlihood to barrett to a large degree and they acknowledge that upfront- the band got a contract and had hits due to barrett. after they forced him out '68, it wasn't until the early 70's that floyd without barrett found their bearings and became sucessful again. the formula of their most sucessful records, dark side, wish you were here, animals and the wall was to write about barrett pretty much.
and they were very close childhood friends of barrett. gilmour repaying his debt to some degree is really admirable.

i don't think fleetwood mac have anywhere near the same fond memories and care for danny. and i think they owe him much more than they admit.

now, to un-highjack the thread, i don't think that i will get the kirwan re-issues until i'm sure that danny gets something from them. i wonder if martin clemins knows anything about this royalty situation? perhaps Mario could be ask mc?

zero
Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
i don't think fleetwood mac have anywhere near the same fond memories and care for danny. and i think they owe him much more than they admit.

now, to un-highjack the thread, i don't think that i will get the kirwan re-issues until i'm sure that danny gets something from them. i wonder if martin clemins knows anything about this royalty situation? perhaps Mario could be ask mc?

zero
Anyone who can ask anyone else who might know - please do!

I don't mind if they don't get released over here if it's true that Danny doesn't get income from them. There's no point in having them if the money goes to some other undeserving pocket. It could be that there's a different situation in Japan though - different contracts for different territories?

I'm pretty sure he gets income from his Mac songs though - at least one reference I have describes Danny as 'scraping by on royalties from his Mac days'.

I agree that the other Macsters don't seem to recognise Danny's input. Mick apparently sees Danny the most, but I'm not sure Danny trusts him not to try and send him out on a tour or something... I guess also that it was a hell of a long time ago, and memories fade - people always talk about Peter and his contribution is well documented, but Danny's time with the band is more easily forgotten since most of it was commercially unsuccessful. And of course, a Kirwan song being played live is less likely if Stevie and Lindsey don't like the idea - and they never even met Danny of course.

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 03-01-2006 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I received my copies of the Danny Kirwan albums on Japanese CD today - they're in the cardboard "LP" type sleeves rather than jewel cases, and they come with a fold-out paper insert with lyrics in English and a bio or something in Japanese. The sound is good, being a 24-bit remaster.

Anyway, the point of this is the box in the corner of each insert which says "Reissue Staff". The licensor is listed as Clifford Davis Music, UK. Does this shed any further light on the royalties situation? At least we know that Clifford Davis will know, if anyone ever gets to ask him. I thought he'd lost everything at one point (to his ex-wife?) and the rights had gone to someone else. But if he still owns the rights, maybe he and Danny still have some agreement over the music.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I heard he lost the Mac royalties to Michelle. But, maybe these don't count as Mac royalties OR maybe he she kept the name "Clifford Davis Music."

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Dude...

Quote:
I would have died right there in the front row. LOL I'm listening to Sands of Time right now. If they were to do an entire show only doing Danny songs, that would be farkin' awesome.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I would have died right there in the front row. LOL I'm listening to Sands of Time right now. If they were to do an entire show only doing Danny songs, that would be farkin' awesome.
I'd need to be rususcitated by paramedics if they did that !! Shame it seems unlikely.

On the rights/royalties issue, I was wondering about what SMD was saying about Michelle getting the Mac rights, and I noticed that on the actual discs of these Kirwan re-releases, it does say "Fleetwood Music Ltd" - not a particularly good sign.

But if she'd owned the rights all this time, I suspect someone would have cashed in on them a long time ago... it's a bit puzzling
Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I'd need to be rususcitated by paramedics if they did that !! Shame it seems unlikely.

On the rights/royalties issue, I was wondering about what SMD was saying about Michelle getting the Mac rights, and I noticed that on the actual discs of these Kirwan re-releases, it does say "Fleetwood Music Ltd" - not a particularly good sign.

But if she'd owned the rights all this time, I suspect someone would have cashed in on them a long time ago... it's a bit puzzling
That legal crap sometimes is next to impossibe to figure out.