The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Ledgie

Question What will be the fate of the other new 20 songs not available on the new album??

Hi Macgang,

I was a bit depressed to read that the new Mac album has been edited down to a single cd. I must say I was kind of expecting it to happen despite Mick´s statements about it definitely being a double cd set. I can understand this only from the record company´s point of view, in keeping with the double album Tusk release in 1979, they probably didn´t make as much money as they had hoped, after all it was priced $15.98 which was a lot then.

I do hope however that the other (about 20?) songs won´t lie rotting in the vaults of Reprise. You ask yourself how many others are there just waiting to be released from the band´s mid- seventies classic line-up, the idea alone is a mouthwatering prospect! Maybe it is a marketing ploy to see whether the band can still attract mass attention around the world with their new album, then do the world tour and if both are a huge success, then release the second disc in about two years.

What do you fans think of all this?
Old 01-16-2003, 02:37 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Ledgie

Hi Adam,

I believe it was posted by David on page 2 and 3 of the thread "Okay post all new FM album related news here"

I haven´t actually read it from official band related sources, but then again these are very sparse with info. I really would have thought the publicity mill would have been spinning madly by now!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:07 PM

A second CD costs pennies, especially since both platters can fit in a single-CD case. I have to again decry this band's lack of fight. Go in there and tell the label it's a f%#@! double CD or nothing!

A lot of bands have inserted bonus CDs into their releases at no extra cost. In some cases, they'll do it for the first 50,000 copies or something like that, giving the diehard fans a chance to get something extra. Do you think Fleetwood Mac, with its track record of "caring" for the fans, will do something like that?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WB/Reprise is probably (and finally) getting their revenge...they're doing what they SHOULD'VE done with "Tusk", but didn't have the leverage to do at the time. Cut it to a single album.

But, this time around, the additional songs have been leaked, we like them (well, 99.9% of them) and WANT them to release a double album. Where's the justice?
Old 01-16-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
[i]But, this time around, the additional songs have been leaked, we like them (well, 99.9% of them) and WANT them to release a double album. Where's the justice? [/B]
There is no justice. Especially if they put all the wrong songs (i.e., Come) in the album.

Sorry, Seteca.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Ledgie

Angry

Would people stop spreading rumours! I think i read that rumour yesterday in a Mick Fleetwood chat subject. That too had no source. [/B]
Old 01-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The only thing I'd like to add to this thread, is that... even if this is a single album with only 19 tracks... I don't think anyone ever said that the band has another TWENTY leftover.

The most I'd ever heard, was 23 *total* songs, to be potentially used on the album
Which would only leave 4 tracks as leftovers.

There may be about 22 'Gift Of Screws' tracks, and Stevie may have given the band 17 demos to choose from, but I highly doubt that the band worked on completing all 39 of them.

I'm sure they went thru and chose their favorites from the 'GoS' stuff, and put the finishing touches on them... then chose their favorites from the demos Stevie submitted, and worked on those.

At least that's my assumption.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm, narrowing Lindsey's stuff down...assuming that it's CLOSE to an even split...giving Lindsey 10 of the 19 tunes.

Here's my guesses as to what Lindsey's tunes will be on the album:

Peacekeeper
Red Rover
Murrow
Down On Rodeo
Gotta Get Away (Stones cover)
Gift Of Screws
Say Goodbye
Try For The Sun
Twist Of Fate
Steal Your Heart Away
Old 01-16-2003, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Would people stop spreading rumours!
I'd venture to say that a large number of the discussions on *any* message board, involve some rumours and unverified information.
Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the internet beast.
People like to talk and gossip.

I think we'd all rather have some officially confirmed information, but for now we can only go by what some of the more credible sources amongst Fleetwood Mac's fans, have told us.

The source for most of the current "info," has proven himself to be a very reliable source over the years. In fact, a lot of folks are more prone to trust what he tells us, than what the media prints... and, so far, he hasn't given us a reason *not* to trust his information.

The absolute latest news (posted by Luke, on Mick's official message board), is that the album is definitely no longer a double-CD, and has been pared down to 16 tracks.

As always though, this is unconfirmed by anyone in an official capacity, and that should be taken into consideration.

Still... whether they pan out or not, these rumours provide a lot of fodder for some very interesting and thought-provoking conversations.

Hopefully though, we'll have some CONFIRMED information very soon, and then we can all talk about THAT.

Johnny Stew
Old 01-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry One cd!!! Ugghhh!!!

Chili...I like your new cd set-list!
Can't wait to hear the polished-up
versions they come up with! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 01-16-2003, 11:49 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It bugs me that I've seen Come singled out as a bad track a couple of times now on various boards. I'd just like to put my word in to say I think it's one of Lindsey's best. After all, some record exec might be watching and I for one don't want him to think it's a song that could be cut (if it is in line to be on the new album). I think lyrically it is along the lines of Tusk and musically it frickkin rocks.

John
Old 01-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew

The absolute latest news (posted by Luke, on Mick's official message board), is that the album is definitely no longer a double-CD, and has been pared down to 16 tracks.
Johnny Stew
Yeah, that's so cool! Finally it takes so much pressure from me. I thought I would be forced to listen to 22 songs or 19 songs. What an effort hardly to bear. So glad if it`s just 16 songs. 16 is a great number. Perhaps if we're superlucky it can be worked on to get to 14 or 12. That surely would be much better.
8 would be cool also! No wait- yeah that`s it: a single would be cool. Maybe a three minute track would do it. Who needs complete albums nowadays? I mean I have very little spare time and a lot of hobbies. So 70 minutes of listening to music, c`mon I`m a busy guy. No way. Is also less expensive. Or even letting it be, I mean we could just talk about potential songs they might have done. Who needs the real thing, is there no fantasy left amongst people? Thinking about a potential album that might have come is so much cooler than the real thing. I`d appreciate it a lot! Hope so much they cancel this silly CD plan now!

Last edited by stefan; 01-17-2003 at 04:12 AM..
Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL, Stefan!! That cracked me up!

I do have to say that I'm going to be really disappointed if there is only 16 tracks on this cd. I actually let myself get my hopes up that we were gonna get at least 23-25. Has anyone heard anything about the tour lately? I suppose next we'll hear that it's only going to be across the U.S., not a World tour.

Oh, well. At least we're getting an album. I guess I should just be happy about that. Which I am, really. I guess I'm just tired of being told one thing, only to find it being reneged upon later.

Okay....WOO HOOOOO!!!! We're getting a new Fleetwood Mac album!!!! YAYYYYY!!!!!

I feel much better now.

~Angela~
Old 01-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Too bad Mick won't deny/confirm this "rumor" on his "official" chat board~I've seen people begging for news & answers to their questions over there, and they get nothing. Frustrating....

Nae
Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Yeah, that's so cool! Finally it takes so much pressure from me. I thought I would be forced to listen to 22 songs or 19 songs. What an effort hardly to bear. So glad if it`s just 16 songs. 16 is a great number. Perhaps if we're superlucky it can be worked on to get to 14 or 12. That surely would be much better.
8 would be cool also! No wait- yeah that`s it: a single would be cool. Maybe a three minute track would do it.
Hey, Stefan, I'm with you: Why bother releasing any new music at all? Hey, why not just release a double CD of retreads and charge 25 bucks for it? Maybe they could call it the Very Best of the Less Better Songs of Fleetwood Mac.

Hey, I hope the label guys come here and read this. Cuz I have a message for them: (hmm... where's that flipping-the-bird smilie?)