The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Six Essential Welch Tracks (AZ Central)

Arizona Central, June 7, 2012

by Ed Masley - Jun. 7, 2012 06:00 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz1zW28F5iV

Bob Welch helped steer Fleetwood Mac in the direction that eventually resulted in the multiplatinum U.S. breakthrough it enjoyed with "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours."

Sadly, Welch had bailed by then, replaced by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

After fronting the power trio Paris with members of Nazz and Jethro Tull, he went solo in 1977 with "French Kiss," an album boasting guest appearances by Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie.

Here's a look at six essential tracks by Welch, who was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Thursday, June 7. He was 66.

"Future Games" (1971)

The haunting title track to Fleetwood Mac's first album with Welch stretches out for more than eight minutes with a bittersweet chorus hook that definitely points the way toward future Welch successes. Meanwhile, the guitar keeps shifting back and forth between scrappy Neil Young-flavored outbursts and jazzier runs while the arrangement is evocative of both the psychedelic era and the return to traditional musical values that followed, allowing it to sound completely of its time and timeless in the same breath. "Lay It All Down," a harder-rocking track from that same album, is also more than worth the effort it would take to type it into YouTube.

Night Watch" "(1973)

A clear highlight of "Penguin," Fleetwood Mac's highest-charting entry on the U.S. album charts at that point, "Night Watch" stretches out for just over six minutes. It starts with a dramatic intro that wouldn't have sounded out of place on an album by one of the era's prog-rock bands. But it soon settles into a Lennonesque pop-song vibe with some really nice lyrics ("I have lived alone in castles that were lonely/And I have cursed the dawn and wondered why I do"). And when the harmonies kick in, you'll swear it's Crosby, Stills & Nash.

"Hypnotized" (1973)

This jazz-rocking highlight of "Mystery to Me," the guitarist's fourth album with Fleetwood Mac, became an FM staple. It starts with Fleetwood laying down the beat alone and features mesmerizing backing vocals from Christine McVie on the chorus hook ("you got me hypnotized"). But Welch's laid-back vocal is what gives this song its character, topping the jazzy guitar licks with such quintessential Welch-isms as "there's no explainin' what your imagination can make you see and feel."

"Sentimental Lady" (1977)

Welch's biggest solo hit was originally cut by Fleetwood Mac and featured on the "Bare Trees" album. His solo version peaked at No. 8 and featured Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie). Released in 1977 as the lead-off track on "French Kiss," its haunting soft-rock vibe would not have sounded out of place on "Rumours," thanks in no small part to the production by McVie and Buckingham. And the first words out of Welch's mouth would certainly have fit right in: "You are here and warm but I could look away and you'd be gone."

"Ebony Eyes" (1977)

Setting the tone with a chunky minor-key guitar riff, "Ebony Eyes" gave Welch a second major pop hit from the "French Kiss" album, hitting No. 14 with a slightly harder rocking sound. It's an interesting blend of distorted guitars and disco strings, which underscore and punctuate his vocals on the chorus hook ( "Your eyes got me dreamin'/Your eyes got me blind/Your eyes got me hopin' that I'll be holding you close tonight").

"Precious Love" (1979)

Welch went soul pop on his final solo hit of note, peaking at No. 19 with this upbeat celebration of "the way you fill those blue jeans baby, my my my." The drums go kind of disco on the chorus hook but the overall vibe is much closer in spirit to the more infectious side of soul with just a hint of bubblegum. The song was featured on "Three Hearts," his followup to "French Kiss," which included his cover of the Beatles song, "I Saw Her Standing There."
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad "Night Watch" is mentioned here--one of my enduring Welch favs. And that there's a shout out for "Lay it All Down," even though it doesn't make the list.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Arizona Central, June 7, 2012

by Ed Masley - Jun. 7, 2012 06:00 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz1zW28F5iV
Bob Welch helped steer Fleetwood Mac in the direction that eventually resulted in the multiplatinum U.S. breakthrough it enjoyed with "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours."

Sadly, Welch had bailed by then, replaced by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

After fronting the power trio Paris with members of Nazz and Jethro Tull, he went solo in 1977 with "French Kiss," an album boasting guest appearances by Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie.

Here's a look at six essential tracks by Welch, who was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Thursday, June 7. He was 66.

"Future Games" (1971)

The haunting title track to Fleetwood Mac's first album with Welch stretches out for more than eight minutes with a bittersweet chorus hook that definitely points the way toward future Welch successes. Meanwhile, the guitar keeps shifting back and forth between scrappy Neil Young-flavored outbursts and jazzier runs while the arrangement is evocative of both the psychedelic era and the return to traditional musical values that followed (that being the difference between Danny Kirwan's guitar parts & Bob's guitar parts), allowing it to sound completely of its time and timeless in the same breath. "Lay It All Down," a harder-rocking track from that same album, is also more than worth the effort it would take to type it into YouTube.

Night Watch" "(1973)

A clear highlight of "Penguin," Fleetwood Mac's highest-charting entry on the U.S. album charts at that point, "Night Watch" stretches out for just over six minutes. It starts with a dramatic intro that wouldn't have sounded out of place on an album by one of the era's prog-rock bands. But it soon settles into a Lennonesque pop-song vibe with some really nice lyrics ("I have lived alone in castles that were lonely/And I have cursed the dawn and wondered why I do"). And when the harmonies kick in, you'll swear it's Crosby, Stills & Nash. (No mention of Peter Green's lead guitar work on the outro? Shame, shame, shame)

"Hypnotized" (1973)

This jazz-rocking highlight of "Mystery to Me," the guitarist's fourth album with Fleetwood Mac, became an FM staple. It starts with Fleetwood laying down the beat alone and features mesmerizing backing vocals from Christine McVie on the chorus hook ("you got me hypnotized"). But Welch's laid-back vocal is what gives this song its character, topping the jazzy guitar licks with such quintessential Welch-isms as "there's no explainin' what your imagination can make you see and feel."

2 tracks majorly conspicuous by their absence of being mentioned..."Bermuda Triangle" & "Big Towne, 2061".

"Sentimental Lady" (1977)

Welch's biggest solo hit was originally cut by Fleetwood Mac and featured on the "Bare Trees" album. His solo version peaked at No. 8 and featured Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie). Released in 1977 as the lead-off track on "French Kiss," its haunting soft-rock vibe would not have sounded out of place on "Rumours," thanks in no small part to the production by McVie and Buckingham. And the first words out of Welch's mouth would certainly have fit right in: "You are here and warm but I could look away and you'd be gone."

"Ebony Eyes" (1977)

Setting the tone with a chunky minor-key guitar riff, "Ebony Eyes" gave Welch a second major pop hit from the "French Kiss" album, hitting No. 14 with a slightly harder rocking sound. It's an interesting blend of distorted guitars and disco strings (being that the strings were arranged & conducted by Gene Page, the term "Motown strings" would've been the more appropriate description), which underscore and punctuate his vocals on the chorus hook ( "Your eyes got me dreamin'/Your eyes got me blind/Your eyes got me hopin' that I'll be holding you close tonight").

"Precious Love" (1979)

Welch went soul pop on his final solo hit of note, peaking at No. 19 with this upbeat celebration of "the way you fill those blue jeans baby, my my my." The drums go kind of disco on the chorus hook but the overall vibe is much closer in spirit to the more infectious side of soul with just a hint of bubblegum. The song was featured on "Three Hearts," his followup to "French Kiss," which included his cover of the Beatles song, "I Saw Her Standing There."
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like to consider 6 from Mac and 6 from beyond the Mac

Future Games
Lay it All Down
Night Watch
Hypnotized
Miles Away
Emerald Eyes

Ebony Eyes
Hot Love Cold World
The Ghost of Flight 401