The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never liked the song, Songbird. So really, Viv could care less.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
goodness, what a mountain we've made out that little molehill!

It is interesting that folks are fixated on something Christine did thirty years ago rather than what actually came out of her mouth about the subject sometime last year.
I'm not fixated on it at all. I just don't think she minds the placement of the song. It's that simple. I said that. You came back with quotes to prove otherwise and I don't think that quote is dispositive and certainly not an indication that the song has been cut because she doesn't like it coming at the end.

For me, the song is emotionally pleasing, but as a song on its own merit, it does not do too much for me, so I don't care whether it returns or not.

Do I think it works at the end? For FM yes. Farmer's Daughter works at the end. They all tend to like quiet songs at the end of their solo and band sets. Those work for them.

On the other hand, I found Don't Stop would have worked at the end of the Dance on that video. I loved it when they just stopped playing, put down their instruments and walked off the stage. If there hadn't been an encore I would have though that exit was perfectly cool.

At any rate, since Christine only had one tour I'll probably focus on it a lot whenever a similar subject about song setlist preferences for Ms. McVie comes up. There are no other tours to draw from for her. Don't take it as fixation.

As for making a mountain out of molehill. When there is daily discussion and not daily activity, you tend to talk about the same things a lot, because there's not a lot happening. It's the same thing that happens on cable tv. Christine's feelings about Songbird might be as interesting as Harrison's plane crash on an FM fan board.

Michele
Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm not fixated on it at all. I just don't think she minds the placement of the song. It's that simple. I said that. You came back with quotes to prove otherwise and I don't think that quote is dispositive and certainly not an indication that the song has been cut because she doesn't like it coming at the end.

Michele
actually, I said it sounded like the song was cut because her hand was hurt, but that she might not mind not closing with it because it might help her make a point to the band that they can end with another song.

'Fixation' was in reference to the insistence that she must feel the same way about a song, or it's placement in a set, in 2014 as she did in 1984, disregarding her own words.

As for talking about the same things a lot in a forum, I agree that's part of the whole purpose of fan boards and am as guilty as charged as anyone else on here in that regard.

In terms of the song itself, I personally like it well enough but don't think the set suffers either way. I know others love the song and miss it.

And if her hand has been injured, I hope it's not anything that has anything more than temporary impact on her performing.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In terms of the song itself, I personally like it well enough but don't think the set suffers either way. I know others love the song and miss it.

And if her hand has been injured, I hope it's not anything that has anything more than temporary impact on her performing.
yeah i'm at the same time hoping (since that would mean it will be back!) and worried that it's her hand injury that's keeping them from doing Songbird.

i'm one of the people who loved it, especially how they were performing it this year, and their show is not the same without it.

Little Lies and Songbird were huge highlights on this tour for me, and i was sad when i realized they just went straight into Silver Springs and final bows and my last show ended up without hearing Songbird once again. then again, i really shouldn't complain since i got to experience it at other shows, unlike people who had only one show and it was not there.

i hope it will be back at least by the time of the UK, if not before.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

'Fixation' was in reference to the insistence that she must feel the same way about a song, or it's placement in a set, in 2014 as she did in 1984, disregarding her own words.
Her 2014 comment doesn't indicate a change of heart. It would suggest that she has always felt the same way about the song and just could never understand why they placed it where they did. Not like she used to like it as an end song and now she doesn't.

You know what I think that Christine has always felt about Songbird?? SHY.

From the time she says the "boys" convinced her to record it by herself and they rented a place for her to do it with the magnificent piano. She felt self-conscious by her own admission. You know what else I think she felt? Flattered.

I'm not disregarding her 2014 comment. I put it right alongside everything else that she's said about Songbird. In fact, I seldom discard anything any of them say about anything. I just may not agree with you and others about the conclusions to be drawn. We were just talking about Stevie and Christine's relationship in another thread. I think our opinions about what the relationship is is based on more than what they've SAID it is.

What did Stevie mean when she said she could only play Landslide once. You had an opinion on that, because after all these years of following the band, you think you can interpret Stevie to some extent. I think I can interpret them too, even though I may be quite wrong.

The guy mentioned that Christine closed the show with Songbird and she gave a look. Why did she look funny? I think it is because singling that out, singling her out, makes her feel a little self-conscious and she felt the need to pooh pooh the significance of closing.

No, I don't think she's going to come out and say that she feels good that the band likes her to close the show, but I think she does. Her manner is self-deprecating at all times. She puts her albums down. She doesn't like the Christine Perfect album. She doesn't like Meantime. When asked about the 1984 album she didn't say the band loved it. She said, "They all said they loved the album, and I have no reason to doubt them." [BTW Christine said that she hadn't heard feedback from Stevie about her solo album at all, had not seen Stevie in a year, in fact].

She's not like Lindsey who claims they've all told him that Tusk is their favorite album. I don't believe this. I think Mick has said that to him. I think Stevie has indicated that to him in more recent years. I don't know enough about what John might say or not say to have a strong opinion, but I'd be surprised if John said that to him. I am SURE that Christine did not say that to him.

I remember an SYW interview where the questioner said to Lindsey, "So you're the leader of the band" and he said, 'well, I don't think anyone wants to say I'm the leader...' Well, I am pretty sure that when it came to SYW, at least, Lindsey DID think he was the leader. He just didn't feel like saying, "yep. That's right, baby."

You know I have all kinds of opinions about what they say, what they infer and what the truth is -- which is different. My opinions are not the same as yours. But I'm not ignoring her 2014 comment at all. I'm not going to ignore anything the dame says, having not heard he say anything at all for almost 10 years.

Michele
Old 03-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I may have solved the mystery of the disappearing Songbird. As I mentioned earlier Christine wore a black glove when she was not playing keyboards and using maraccas during World Turning. I saw her take this black half glove off for Don't Stop. I was watching earlier shows and for World Turning she did not wear his half glove. I am guessing she is suffering from some sort of carpal tunnel. She probably could play Songbird but piano keys take much more pressure than electric keyboards. If she does have this condition it would make the condition that much worse.
I would not expect to hear Songbird for the rest of the North American tour. Maybe in Europe or Australia but it really depends on how she is doing. They have done 67 concerts in 6 months. Its a lot of finger depressions for hours each night.
I hope she has a full recovery.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I may have solved the mystery of the disappearing Songbird. As I mentioned earlier Christine wore a black glove when she was not playing keyboards and using maraccas during World Turning. I saw her take this black half glove off for Don't Stop. I was watching earlier shows and for World Turning she did not wear his half glove. I am guessing she is suffering from some sort of carpal tunnel. She probably could play Songbird but piano keys take much more pressure than electric keyboards. If she does have this condition it would make the condition that much worse.
So, I wonder if Seven Wonders is connected to Songbird? I mean, does Seven Wonders require anything extraordinary on the piano? Or is that just an unrelated drop. Certainly, I think Seven Wonders got a nice audience response and its exit cannot be explained the way Destiny Rules or DLMDA's were.

Michele
Old 03-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, I wonder if Seven Wonders is connected to Songbird? I mean, does Seven Wonders require anything extraordinary on the piano? Or is that just an unrelated drop. Certainly, I think Seven Wonders got a nice audience response and its exit cannot be explained the way Destiny Rules or DLMDA's were.

Michele
I just think they dropped 7 Wonders to shorten the set. This usually happens in the Mac world and especially Stevie's tour world.
Songbird is such a Mac staple there is no way they would drop that song at the end. I just think Chris is in pain playing the piano and could make her hand worse. But hopefully someone will ask Mick this question. This is just my speculation. Christine does not wear one glove to be cool or something.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She puts her albums down. She doesn't like the Christine Perfect album. She doesn't like Meantime.
I've heard that Christine doesn't like the Christine Perfect album, but In the Meantime? I've never heard that she disliked that album, and I'd be interested to find out what the source is for that information.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I've heard that Christine doesn't like the Christine Perfect album, but In the Meantime? I've never heard that she disliked that album, and I'd be interested to find out what the source is for that information.
To be accurate, she actually didn't say that she disliked the album. She said it wasn't very good.

Michele
Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the quote:

Quote:
I did make a solo album in my house when I was there. And because I was just afraid of flying, I wouldn’t promote it and I wouldn’t tour. Actually, it wasn’t a very good album anyway — it got buried underneath the pits of Hell, I suppose [laughs].
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I never liked the song, Songbird. So really, Viv could care less.
Are you now referring to yourself in second person? It's so very Stevie-ish.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Are you now referring to yourself in second person? It's so very Stevie-ish.
Yeah, Viv. I noticed that. Oh my goodness, I'd have to die if Stevie ever started doing that.

Michele
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To be accurate, she actually didn't say that she disliked the album. She said it wasn't very good.

Michele
When I first read that several months ago, I was deeply hurt and offended. In The Meantime is a masterpiece and so happy she did that album. No filler, no padding, every song is wonderful. Just because an album does not sell does not mean it is bad.

Stevie bashes Street Angel mostly because of her fight with the producer and it did not sell well. But I think it is a wonderful album and I get mad when I hear her bash it.

In the Meantime has some of the best lyrics of Christine's career. For the first time you hear her get angry and bitter in a song... in Liar.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When I first read that several months ago, I was deeply hurt and offended. In The Meantime is a masterpiece and so happy she did that album. No filler, no padding, every song is wonderful. Just because an album does not sell does not mean it is bad.
I agree. I can't believe Christine really thinks the album is bad. Sometimes people put themselves down because they are shy about their success. Or they are fishing for a compliment. There are a thousand reasons (psychologically speaking) why someone might belittle their own work. I don't think this sort of false modesty is very becoming to Christine.

Quote:
In the Meantime has some of the best lyrics of Christine's career. For the first time you hear her get angry and bitter in a song... in Liar.
I agree. There are some great lyrics on this album. I wish that there were a way to know which writer was responsible for which part of a song. If I am remembering correctly, "You Are" is the only song on that album that Chris wrote without a co-writer. All the other songs are co-written with others (or are entirely written by others).