The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Stevie, Lindsey or Christine?? (favorite singer/songwriter)
Christine McVie 29 18.83%
Lindsey Buckingham 35 22.73%
Stevie Nicks 90 58.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Although I like the contributions of all 3, Stevie is my favorite.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love them all, but I'm happy to vote for Stevie without any caveats or disclaimers. I think she DOES have the best voice in the band. I certainly realize that LB and CM bring things to the table that she doesn't, but I can just as easily say the reverse too.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is definitely my favorite- that powerful voice will never be replicated. I like all of the nuances of her singing- it's not considered the "perfect" voice necessarily, but that is why it's beautiful and moving. Stevie's lyrics, expecially those prior to Tango, are extremely creative. I also admire that she is not really a musician, but she is still able to write on piano and get her ideas across to the band. I love her solo work, obviously- especially Bella Donna, The Wild Heart, and Rock a Little.

My second choice is a tough one, but I have to go with Lindsey because of his virtuosity on guitar and his production skills. His voice has a hard exterior, but is actually very moving in combination with the lyrics and instrumentation of his songs. To me, Tusk is pure perfection for Lindsey- all of his songs are so inventive and honest. I hear something new almost every time I listen to that album. I saw Lindsey live last fall, and I was blown away. His voice may have aged a bit, but his guitar makes up for it. I haven't been a fan of much of his solo work, however I did enjoy OOTC, Gift of Screws, and Seeds We Sow.

Christine is third, but I have a great appreciation for her experience, musicianship, and vocal style. I really love her voice- the sweetness of her voice and lyrics come across as ironic sometimes, as she seems to have a great sense of humor and was "one of the guys" in Fleetwood Mac before Stevie came along. I really like her earlier blues work (Christine Perfect, but I was disappointed by Christine McVie- it was a nice listen, but a little repetitive. In the Meantime was beautiful, I wish she'd come back to the Mac.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Can't choose one over the other. I like all of their work for different reasons.
Stevie's my favorite of the three, but I can't even watch a whole YouTube performance from recent years--I click it off.

I approach all three the way the Catholics characterize the doctrine of the trinity: Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal, and consubstantial. The three are of one being.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Stevie's my favorite of the three, but I can't even watch a whole YouTube performance from recent years--I click it off.

I approach all three the way the Catholics characterize the doctrine of the trinity: Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal, and consubstantial. The three are of one being.

Interesting comparison!

I went with Stevie. She's still the one who can pull off a lyric that will touch me the most emotionally and make an "ok" song suddenly become grand to me. Also, I think she still is an excellent harmony singer and is the most naturally gifted at harmonies.

I prefer her younger voice too, of course. But, that goes for all of them!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking My favorite is that Lindsey woman

Hehehehe.

I was an LB fan first and then found FM. He's always been the one that touched me the most (that's what she said! LOL) and made me cry when I heard his music.

Stevie's music doesn't affect me the same way, for the most part sans a select few songs. I enjoy her stuff, but overall, I just enjoy listening to it. I don't really feel it all that much.

Danny Kirwan is officially my third favorite member of the band but he's not on this list. I've always seen Danny as a mixture of Lindsey and Stevie in that he had the amazing guitar work in his music, but also very mysterious lyrics and an etheral voice.

Christine would be fourth.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
I think Stevie, Lindsey and Chris are all strong links in the band and contribute greatly in their own ways. Without them, FM would be remembered in history as that great British Blues band from the 60's.
Without them, FM wouldn't be remembered at all.Sad but true.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
I saw Lindsey live last fall, and I was blown away.
I've seen Lindsey on ALL of his solo tours and always enjoyed his live shows because they were so upbeat but the show that I saw in Phoenix last Roctober bored me to tears. A total waste of $50.00.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Without them, FM wouldn't be remembered at all.Sad but true.
Well they would be over here.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Whether posted in levity or not, I do follow this as my own personal creed. And my efforts to maintain balance between parallel entities never cease.

I would say that, along with the trinity, I do think that the Virgin Mary holds a place in the band.

Michele
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm finally here! Been crazy busy yesterday.

I come on today to see elle has posted a poll on the Rumous forum, making me pick between Christine and Stevie, how dare you elle!

First and foremost, I am a Fleetwood Mac fan. Christine, Stevie, and Lindsey are members of that group. For me their solo stuff is just extra and completely separate.

One of the things I do at home on my computer is make up playlists of Fleetwood Mac's songs. I give the list of theme of some sort, but I always limit my playlist to a CD's worth. Most of the time, it comes down to this arrangement

7 Christine
7 Stevie
3 or so everybody else

...so I'm terribly split between the two girls.

I do listen and enjoy their solo songs/performances, but always miss the other's singing and playing and Mick and John's excellent rhythm section.

Recently, I watched Stevie's solo performance on youtube of the Bill Clinton foundation event. She did Landslide, Dreams, and Don't Stop. Don't Stop is not the same without Fleetwood Mac.

I've noticed too here on the Ledge that the entity of Fleetwood Mac has almost disappeared, while the individual members (Pre and post rumours included) are alive and vibrant and talked about more on an individual basis. I now that Fleetwood Mac haven't had an album out since 2003 and haven't toured since 2009, and Stevie/Lindsey have been active, solo, over the past decade. So that probably plays into the matter greatly.

This comes across to how people refer to Fleetwood Mac songs. Go Your Own Way is always "Lindsey Buckingham". Gold Dust Woman is known as Stevie's Gold Dust Woman. I get upset when Fleetwood Mac songs are referred to as songs by the individual members. Yes, I know he or she wrote the lyrics, melody, etc, but still they are Fleetwood Mac songs.

I think too the lines get blurred with Lindsey/Stevie doing so many FM songs are their solo tours and vice versa.

Anyway, just MSB's take on the matter...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Well they would be over here.
Not necessarily. I was introduced to FM pre- Stevie and Lindsey BECAUSE of Stevie and Lindsey. Without the Rumours lineup I never would have had the inclanation to seek out those older albums. I'm sure glad I did though because many of those pre-1975 sogs are among my lifetime's favorites. Bee, would you have known any of those songs before you heard Lindsey's music?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Not necessarily. I was introduced to FM pre- Stevie and Lindsey BECAUSE of Stevie and Lindsey. Without the Rumours lineup I never would have had the inclanation to seek out those older albums. I'm sure glad I did though because many of those pre-1975 sogs are among my lifetime's favorites. Bee, would you have known any of those songs before you heard Lindsey's music?
I was referring to over here as in Britian, Viv. Lindsey wasn't my "gateway" into Fleetwood Mac. I heard a Stevie song (Landslide) but thought nothing of it. Songs like Rattlesnake Shake, Old Grey Mare and Shake Your Moneymaker got me to pay attention to the older band. They're the first Fleetwood Mac songs I heard. A chance hearing of another Stevie song (Edge Of Seventeen) got me to listen to Stevie again and eventually Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey was my final discovery. Ask any Fleetwood Mac fan in britain, and 9 times out of 10 they're going to mention the old school songs before Lindsey and Stevie era.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've seen Lindsey on ALL of his solo tours and always enjoyed his live shows because they were so upbeat but the show that I saw in Phoenix last Roctober bored me to tears. A total waste of $50.00.
Haha really? Do you not like his SWS material? I never saw any of his earlier solo tours though, so maybe they were more entertaining.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Haha really? Do you not like his SWS material?
This is the first time I never bought his solo album. There was only one song in his show to my knowledge he performed from SWS and it sounded just like a lot of his past weird sounding stuff. I was not impressed.