Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
and MINE

however...i'm a lil confused by this timeline
Stevie says in her gypsy intro that she met Lindsey when she was a senior and he was a junior...so in 1965-66 but that she didn't see him again for 2 years when she got the call about Fritz. when exactly did she join the band?
1956, if you start to believe her memory losses.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
1956, if you start to believe her memory losses.

excuse MY memory loss...
i thought it was actually 1856
when Mama was still in her Dickensian period

with all her going back in time
im surprised she hasn't back dated that far already
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I spit out a little bit of eggs because I laughed when Stevie says "Me, ladylike prudish Stevie, which I am". It just sounded funny. I should learn to be more couthful like Stevie.

Thanks for uploading this.

I don't understand what Ken Caillat means when he says that Lindsey wouldn't sing his lyrics, and that it would make Stevie mad.

Last edited by vermicious knid; 12-09-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Junior Ledgie

when was this documentary shot? they talk about lindsey and stevie being 59?

Thanks for uploading this ,one of the best ones I have ever seen, brutally honest
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcoop View Post

Thanks for uploading this ,one of the best ones I have ever seen, brutally honest
I wouldn't go that far...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I wouldn't go that far...
compared to most mac info, and all the politics involved usually . it was very honest. With all the nonsense about the love the band still has for each other and the tired relationship angles that we hear ad nauseam,this one had some great comments from stevie about the state of present relationships, some great stuff about peter green, some good comments from mcvie etc..

a great documentary

Last edited by coopcoop; 12-17-2009 at 11:52 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Here's a transcript, which is helpful to have if we ever want to search for documentary comments]

http://mms.tveyes.com/transcript.asp...EEDD9BCEC50F24

BBC4 06/21/2013 21:51:52: .....that was that. He was done. CROWD CHEERS # Golden oldies, Rolling Stones We don't want them back # I'd rather jack # Than Fleetwood Mac... # By the end of the '80s things had definitely moved on. # ..I'd rather jack # Than Fleetwood Mac I'd rather jack... # The band carried on without Lindsey but The Reynolds Girls and a younger generation now saw Fleetwood Mac as out-of-touch oldies, an image not helped by Mick's unfortunate foray into presenting on 1989's disastrous outing of the Brits. ..The fabulous, the legendary, the sensational... Four... ..The Four Tops! Woo! Hi! Not The Four Tops, but thank you! You don't look like 'em, George! No, I'm The One Top. The Four Tops have been held up, putting their make-up on. MUSIC: "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac Inspired by Bill Clinton's use of Don't Stop as his campaign theme, the band staged a full reunion in 1997, complete with the entire USC Marching Band. # Tusk... # The millennium was even kinder to the band. A younger generation discovered their back catalogue, Destiny's Child sampling Stevie's Edge Of Seventeen for Bootylicious... # Kelly, can you handle this? # Michelle, can you handle this? # Beyonce, can you handle this? # I don't think they can handle this, whoooo...! # ..and pop's intelligentsia noting their influence on a new crop of young bands. After their reunion, a weary Christine McVie decided to retreat from America and the band. I think that was it, and I just said, "I just have to go home." Still took me five years to finally move back here. But, no, I have had no regrets. But the remaining four members released a new album and staged two sell-out world tours to rave reviews. # ..You can go your own way # Go your own way... # 'We'd just come back from New York' and I don't think the band's played better. This is a great body of work we've got and that allows you to sort of... all the other good feelings and the other more objective and positive aspects of how you feel about the people, to follow. Perhaps some of that good feeling is down to the fact that Lindsey, in middle age, has stopped looking OUT for love, and finally found it. # ..Go your own way... # I'm so happy that he fell on his feet with a family and had a whole life outside of a very intense attitude he has to creativity, his life, what he wants to accomplish. And, inadvertently, I think it's broadened his scope, amazingly. This is the best thing that ever happened to me, you know? I can honestly say, you know, at age 59, this is the best time of my life. Two other band members have found that relocating to a faraway paradise is one way of surviving Fleetwood Mac. John McVie lives in Oahu, one of the islands here in Hawaii. This is Maui, this is my home. And we thought just to let you know... How cold is it back there?! HE CHUCKLES The rhythm section, still together, but we're... we're not freezing, we're in Hawaii. We love England, we love Europe, but, uh... Don't like being cold! I don't like being cold. At this age, it's too much! The arthritis! Good Lord, I hope you don't use that! Oh, I'm sure they will, John! CROWD CHEERS But back inside the Fleetwood Mac bubble, every night on tour, the couple who made the band superstars are still working things through. # I took this love and I took it down # Climbed a mountain and I turned around... # There's still, with Stevie and Lindsey, a healing process which may very well go on to both of their dying days. # ..Till the landslide brought me down... # 'I met her when I was about 16. 'She transferred to my high school. I was a junior, she was a senior, she was 17.' So, it's, it's been...you know, most of my life. 'Lindsey's and my relationship started in '66 'and went through '77, ...

BBC4 06/21/2013 21:06:27: ...MUSIC: "The Green Manilishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)" Mick and John carried on without Peter and in 1970 were joined by John's wife, blues singer Christine McVie. But they were less lucky with guitarists and front men. In 1971, on a US tour, Jeremy Spencer left his hotel to visit a book store on Hollywood Boulevard and was recruited by a religious cult - The Children of God. # Ah, we're on the way The children of God # We're on the way. # In 1972, guitarist Danny Kirwan, who shared the fateful German acid trip with Peter Green, exited the band after smashing his guitar against a dressing room wall in LA. In 1973, they released a new album with guitarist Bob Weston, who promptly had an affair with Mick's wife, model Jenny Boyd, and was asked to leave. By 1974, Fleetwood Mac - who had relocated to LA in the hope of breaking into America - were just another British rock band doing the rounds, down to just the rhythm section, a female songwriter reluctant to front the band and their latest guitarist, Bob Welch. Bob Welch was our guitar player and made several great albums with us. And he, at very short notice, at the end of a tour, the last gig, he decided, "I'm gone. I'm done. Out." Meanwhile, a young American folk/rock duo called Buckingham Nicks had also moved to Hollywood in search of musical fame. # You may not be as strong as me... # Coming from the growing genre of confessional songwriting, the couple had seen their debut album garner critical acclaim but not much else. Dropped by their label eight years after becoming an item, they were back to square one - sharing a single room and waiting on tables. I'd get home from my waitress job and we'd have dinner and then we'd start working at nine at night, and we'd work till three, go to bed, get back up and he'd work on the music and I'd go and be a waitress. So that's really what went on through 1974 till the last day of 1974. It was about a year and three months from when it came out till the day that Mick Fleetwood called us. MICK: Met a guy in a supermarket who I knew vaguely. He said, "What are you doing?" I said, "Actually, I'm looking for a studio." He said, "I've started working at Sound City." Whish is the studio in the valley. And we drove to Sound City and walked into the studio. And Keith Olson was an engineer and I literally just was saying, "Well, what does the room sound like?" Keith put Buckingham Nicks, the master tape, on, which he'd produced with Lindsey and Stevie, just for something to play. And that's where I heard Lindsey's guitar playing. ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLO PLAYS I just happened to walk in to Studio A. I walked in right in the middle of this blistering guitar solo at the end and here's this really tall, skinny guy in the room just kind of... doing this and I really didn't know who it was. And then a week later I got a call form Mick and he said, "Our guitarist Bob Welch is leaving and would you like to join the band?" I didn't think about Stevie one way or the other because I was looking for a guitar player. Stevie's, quote, "never forgiven me". It was like, "Oh, you didn't want me, "you wanted Lindsey, right?" Which, right at the beginning, was true. And very quickly we realised that they were totally joined at the hip. And I said, "Well, I'll have to... I'll have to talk to my girlfriend "about that but, if we do, "you're going to have to take my girlfriend too." A meeting was arranged that would define the future of Fleetwood Mac. So we all met at a Mexican restaurant on Third Street in Los Angeles and we all got on like a house on fire. Everyone thought that it was a little unique that there were two women. It was certainly unique that there were two couples. And the only criteria with Christine was, "We have to meet, "because I just want to know that I get on with her "because there can be nothing worse that two cat-calling women "that don't get on in a band." And she was right. CHRISTINE: In the musical environment I hadn't worked with another girl. When I met her, I instantly liked her, not because she was like me, quite the contrary - we were totally unalike, me and Stevie. We were complete opposites at opposite ends of the personality spectrum. STEVIE: I said, "You know, I think "this woman Christine McVie is pretty fantastic "and this would give me somebody to hang out with." ...

BBC4 06/21/2013 21:11:28: ...When I met her, I instantly liked her, not because she was like me, quite the contrary - we were totally unalike, me and Stevie. We were complete opposites at opposite ends of the personality spectrum. STEVIE: I said, "You know, I think "this woman Christine McVie is pretty fantastic "and this would give me somebody to hang out with." In 1975, the new line-up gathered at Sound City to record their first album together and figure out how to marry a laid-back British blues trio to a folk/rock duo with Californian ambition. LINDSEY: We had songs that were probably being tooled up to be maybe another Buckingham Nicks album. Some of those songs went on to the first album they recorded with Fleetwood Mac, and Rhiannon was one of them. She writes on the piano in a very, very rudimentary manner. It's very much like this. It's... MIMICS PIANO KEYS IN RHIANNON My tendency is to add rhythm and to rock it up so just... bringing that thumb style that I have which is sort of somewhere between classical and folk. PLAYS RHIANNON I didn't know anything about Wales at the time but I always thought it was kind of like a Welsh country song, you know? PLAYS BASS LINE # Rhiannon rings like the bells in the night # And wouldn't you love to love her? # She goes through life like a bird in flight # And who will be her lover? # All your life you've never seen A woman # Taken by the wind # Would you stay... # MICK: We rehearsed before we went in the studio and my sense was, "My God, we're home and dry." Lindsey's a great performer and Stevie was IMMEDIATELY in charge of her arena. The whole spell that she put over audiences with all the movement and all the lovely stuff. # ..Oh, now you know # That your dreams unwind Love's a state of mind... # CHRIS SALEWICZ: She had the two voices, one of which is the kind of archetypal West Coast, female singer/songwriter, er, er, lilt - very sweet, very girly. # ..Still a state of mind # I know, I know # Dreams unwind Love is all you find... # But then there's also the almost Janis Joplin-like blues belting, both of which she uses to fine effect in Rhiannon, which, of course, was her stage tour de force. # ..Take me like the wind now # Take me like the wind, baby Take me with the sky... # KEN CAILLAT: I'll never forget that one. It was a 1976 performance and she was just screaming Rhiannon. I can remember her vocal cords were just stretching out, you know, the muscles were stretching and she went a complete octave above where anybody could take that song. # ..All that's left, all that's left # All that's left, all that's left All that's left # R-r-r-rhiannon # Can't leave her Rhiannon, you can't leave her # You're a dreamer, you're a dreamer IMPROVISED BLUESY LYRIC # ..Dreamer, dreamer # A-a-a-ah... # The woman who had been the plus one in the new line-up gave the band the hit single that propelled their album up the US charts. MUSIC: "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac The band also realised that the key to their success was a luxurious, simple sound. "Less is more" dictated the sound of the then Stevie and Lindsey incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. it was kind of an exercise in paring down. It was a kick and a snare and a bass. So keep it simple and just...and let the voices and Lindsey's guitars layer the rest of it. We didn't even know what a harmony was with Peter Green and then, bingo! The blend of the vocals - you know, Chris's voice is slightly husky and Stevie's and Lindsey's - that blend was... Wow! It was like, "Yeah, this is gonna happen." # Listen to the wind blow # Watch the sun rise. # ...

Last edited by michelej1; 06-21-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
I don't understand what Ken Caillat means when he says that Lindsey wouldn't sing his lyrics, and that it would make Stevie mad.
well, he was getting at the fact that Lindsey didn't want to sing the lyrics to GYOW in front of Stevie because he knew they'd make her mad ("packing up/shacking up" and all that).

She probably could sense that he was holding back not singing the lyrics in front of her, coz after awhile when a song gets to a certain point in development you have to figure the guy's got lyrics..... and THAT probably made her mad....who knows why...feeling left out? like everyone else must know but her? that WOULD, I'd think, make you feel a little weird.... but, then again, who knows?