User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Young Peter??

Hi folks!

Peter went to Elliot School in Putney as a kid. The school has its own web site with old photos of former pupils. So I had a look at them, and found a boy that might be him...

It's the third to last photo under the section "Elliott Putney (after 1956) gallery 1", provided by one Julian Proudman.
http://www.elliottonians.com/pictures/1950on/index.html

The boy I'm thinking of is number 4 from left in the middle row...
I've been comparing with the childhood photos of Peter from the Celmis biography.
The boy's eyes are similar to Peter's, and the ears and mouth are also similar. Peter isn't very tall either...

On the other hand, shouldn't the guy who provided the photo know if the one and only PETER GREEN was on the photo...?
I didn't take the time to check with the year either.. it's supposed to be from around 1960 .. don't know if it would fit with Peter's age at the time.. he would be areound 14 in 1960, right?

Soooo..... what do you think??

Daniel
Old 08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Don't think so unfortunately...

What a brilliant initiative, Dansven! Thank you. A great piece of detective work!

But I have now been comparing the picture on the Elliott site and in Celmins book very closely (dear Watson...) and I must say I don't think it is Peter Green on the picture - unfortunately. Peter looks older at twelve in Celmins book than the boy (supposedly fourteen(ish))on the school picture. Also I think the boys face is too triangular and also his nose is too short. This boy also looks out on the world in a more extroverted fashion than P.G. does even on the childhood pictures.

You are also right that the person who went to his class and provided the picture would surely know who he was - or would he? Maybe we Greenophiles takes this for granted!!!
I wish some former school mates would read this and send in "the right picture" though

Does anybody agree or disagree?

Ms Moose
Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Hi folks!

On the other hand, shouldn't the guy who provided the photo know if the one and only PETER GREEN was on the photo...?
I didn't take the time to check with the year either.. it's supposed to be from around 1960 .. don't know if it would fit with Peter's age at the time.. he would be areound 14 in 1960, right?

Soooo..... what do you think??

Daniel
Astonishing how you set up your investigations I took a glance at Martin Celmin's book, and yes, it could be the man.
But.... as you mentioned, Julian Proudman (second from the right, top row) provided the picture so maybe he could share his knowledge. On the other hand, left of Julian is John Vince. John provided the first picture. Perhaps he can be found?
Then, third picture, third row, 4th from the left is Edmund Spevock. I found him at :
http://elliottonians.com/reference/f...ott_people.htm

Ed Spevock 1958 - 1963 Musician Drummer

Various groups in the sixties as a drummer, until making it into Babe Ruth around 1973. Joins the reformed Chicken Shack in 1977. Ed Spevock currently plays with a Steely Dan tribute band funnily named Stealing Dan (and Don). Ed Spevock is also a founder of Baroque to Rock, a music school for children,

How come he and Peter didnīt find each other back then? Anyway, he should be able to be traced and asked.
Good luck,
Wouter
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Astonishing how you set up your investigations I took a glance at Martin Celmin's book, and yes, it could be the man.
But.... as you mentioned, Julian Proudman (second from the right, top row) provided the picture so maybe he could share his knowledge. On the other hand, left of Julian is John Vince. John provided the first picture. Perhaps he can be found?
Then, third picture, third row, 4th from the left is Edmund Spevock. I found him at :
http://elliottonians.com/reference/f...ott_people.htm

Ed Spevock 1958 - 1963 Musician Drummer

Various groups in the sixties as a drummer, until making it into Babe Ruth around 1973. Joins the reformed Chicken Shack in 1977. Ed Spevock currently plays with a Steely Dan tribute band funnily named Stealing Dan (and Don). Ed Spevock is also a founder of Baroque to Rock, a music school for children,

How come he and Peter didnīt find each other back then? Anyway, he should be able to be traced and asked.
Good luck,
Wouter
There is a bit about Ed Spevock in Celmins book. The two of them knew each other at school because they were in the same year - maybe not in the same class or with the same interests apparently. According to Celmins book Ed was "in the sporting fraternity and Pete wasn't". In the early seventees Peter wanted to form an all-jewish band with Ed Spevock. But it never happened

Ms Moose
Old 08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the kind words about my "detective work", Ms Moose and Wouter.
I guess being a fan of a cult hero (Peter really is one!) has turned me into a nerd..
And thanks for your replies, and for pointing out Ed Spevock !!
Perhaps Mr Joe Green can tell us the answer about the photo....?

Daniel
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
... It's the third to last photo under the section "Elliott Putney (after 1956) gallery 1", provided by one Julian Proudman.
http://www.elliottonians.com/pictures/1950on/index.html

The boy I'm thinking of is number 4 from left in the middle row ...
Hi Daniel,

i'm not sure, if the following picture (http://www.elliottonians.com/picture.../images/26.jpg) is the one you're thinking of?

Is this the picture you're thinking of asks
Popmuseum

Last edited by Popmuseum; 09-08-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Popmuseum,
that's the photo.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Yes Popmuseum,
that's the photo.
Thanks. (But) I can't believe the boy (number 4 from left in the middle row) is Greenie.

But the boy (number 2 from left in the middle row: Girl - Boy1) with the big ears and the open mouth looks like Greenie (to me)?

Popmuseum
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, I see the boy .. but he doesn't look like Peter to me!
Our Green is probably not there at all! But it puzzles me why no such photo of Peter and class has appeared yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Popmuseum, but I also think the kid fourth from the right in the back row looks a little like Peter.

BTW, I wonder how may pervs got pissed off when they found this page through Google...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Peter Green's class photo without Peter

Hello,
http://www.elliottonians.com/pictures/1950onG1/
Look at the description under the photo before last and

1A 1959 From Marilyn Terrett (Hutt) Can you add names?

Back row L - R: David Waite, Tony Morrison, James Bryant, Alan Elms, John Watson, David Carpenter, James Wilson, Alan Knowles, ? Warren.
Middle row L - R: Christine ?, ?, Graham Brightwell, David Taylor, ? Steele, Nigel Blake, ?, ? Charles, ? Farrant, Michael ?, Mavis Herbert.
Front row L - R: Margaret ?, Christine Humphreys, Janet Raynor, Norma ?, Barbara Coggon, Christine Wilson, Valerie Green, Leslie Jackson, Josephine King, Marilyn Hutt (me), Christine Smith.
Peter Green was in this class but Marilyn says he did not attend for the photo session.