Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Peter Green Splinter Group with Carlos Santana

Hi everyone,
Look what I found searching for some videos from Greeny on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7s9uJ6E7P0

This is a good version to me as Pete's playing some leads as only only him can do it...
When I see the comments, I see that most people really don't understand the "less is more, more is less" thing
For me, it's a lot harder to play like this (and the awesome mojo video) than to play like Carlos on this video...

Best regards
Mick
Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Speedy Gonzales vs. Albert Ross

Thanks. It is always great to see new material.

Yes, it seems like Carlos Santana is on another wavelength all together, or rather like the two of them wants to go two different places. Carlos is very impatient and has an "another-day-at-the-office" attitude to playing that night and Greeny goes where the music takes him....

I think he loathes these guitar-hero Speedy-Gonzales type competitive appearances really and it shows!

The singing got off on the wrong foot though - Arrrg...
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Ledgie

Peter and Carlos has some good things developing and Nigel Watson destroys it all with his insensitive playing. I wish he could have stucked to playing rythm or not at all.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Back from where ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornense View Post
Peter and Carlos has some good things developing and Nigel Watson destroys it all with his insensitive playing. I wish he could have stucked to playing rythm or not at all.
You are so right, bjornense and I was very wrong. I don't know which planet I was on when I watched that clip the first time. Seems to go reallybad around 4:20.

I will refrain from giving anymore opinions until I have bought glasses and a hearing-aid.....

Ms Moose
Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default poor nigel

The way The Splinter Group structured the song. Nigel seemed to just to be following the dots. he does not seem to be a very inventive sort. Carlos just plays his way. Peter seemed happy to be there. It seemed that everyone was in their own universe for this one.

How does this compare with Carlos and Peter at the Grammy Awards? I have never seen the footage of that one.

vinnie c
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quite a mess...
Carlos tries to go into "Gypsy Queen", but Watson ruins it.
The Rock and roll Hall of Fame footage is better,
cause it's only Peter and Carlos.
Peter doesn't sing on it, though.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
The way The Splinter Group structured the song. Nigel seemed to just to be following the dots. he does not seem to be a very inventive sort. Carlos just plays his way. Peter seemed happy to be there. It seemed that everyone was in their own universe for this one.

How does this compare with Carlos and Peter at the Grammy Awards? I have never seen the footage of that one.

vinnie c
I think this is the most precise description of what happens in the clip.

Do you mean The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame footage that Dino mentions below? That used to be on YouTube, but dissappeared after a while - unfortunately. As far as I remembered - and off course the sound is very very bad on these bits of footage - Carlos was trying to get Peter Green go into the usual "guitar duels" but is not very succesfull, because he is somewhere else musically and mentally and probably scared stiff (In the Mojo interview he says that: "I am a bit worried about going on stage. I always feel inadequate then.").

Ms Moose
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I think this is the most precise description of what happens in the clip.

Do you mean The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame footage that Dino mentions below? That used to be on YouTube, but dissappeared after a while - unfortunately. As far as I remembered - and off course the sound is very very bad on these bits of footage - Carlos was trying to get Peter Green go into the usual "guitar duels" but is not very succesfull, because he is somewhere else musically and mentally and probably scared stiff (In the Mojo interview he says that: "I am a bit worried about going on stage. I always feel inadequate then.").

Ms Moose

I'm glad my memory hasn't failed me. I remember watching it over ten years ago on VH-1. Peter Green was playing at the side of the stage, and Carlos tried using hand gestures to get Peter to solo a few more bars. As I remember he looked out of it, and not in sync with the band.

I know Brian Wilson had severe stage fright, and as with Peter Green was probably made worse with hallucinogens. Back in the Mayall days Green certainly didn't feel "inadequate" on stage.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I'm glad my memory hasn't failed me. I remember watching it over ten years ago on VH-1. Peter Green was playing at the side of the stage, and Carlos tried using hand gestures to get Peter to solo a few more bars. As I remember he looked out of it, and not in sync with the band.

I know Brian Wilson had severe stage fright, and as with Peter Green was probably made worse with hallucinogens. Back in the Mayall days Green certainly didn't feel "inadequate" on stage.
It's back on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdyVt_iyrg

Ms Moose