Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Top Gear

A couple of weeks ago I came ito posession of a compilation of Fleetwood Mac/ Peter green recordings labeled Top Gear
A lot of the tracks were familiar to me from the various recordings previously released, however two tracks that were on there really intriuged me
both were from the In The Skies period (I believe) One was the title track "In The skies" but was done completely as an instrumental and was not the same as the Album release
The second was Slabo Day and was also not the same. From that album I was always unsure of whether Snowy White was playing the Lead or Peter. Both thacks were a great listen,. Does anyone out there have any information on this which may shed light?

inquiring doodyhead wants to know

vinnie c
Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Vinnie - I've seen these two tracks listed as "rehearsal" versions. They're both very nice variations on the In The Skies tracks, and I'm sure they must be from that period.

The notes on the album state that Snowy White played the lead on "Slabo Day" and I've always assumed that was correct. The lead on that track does sound quite different to me than Peter's playing on that album. Same with these two tracks - the lead on "Slabo Day" (probably Snowy) sounds like a different guitarist than on "In The Skies" (presumably Peter).

Listening to these tracks this morning - for the first time in several years - I find I enjoy the playing on this version of "Slabo Day" better than on the album version. True, it's somewhat looser, but to me the style sounds more like Greeny than on the album - though I think it's still Snowy White on lead. That's my best guess anyway!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

My guess is they lifted the versions of these songs that were first released on Snowy White's "Goldtop: Groups & Sessions 74-94" set:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=372

Could be wrong though.

John
Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the link, John! I'm sure those must be the same tracks. Looks like I was wrong in guessing that Peter played lead on "In The Skies" - from the notes in your link Snowy White says he played lead on both of those rehearsal tracks. The notes say that "The recordings come from Snowy's own copy tapes" - it would be interesting to hear other material from those tapes!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Thanks for the link, John! I'm sure those must be the same tracks. Looks like I was wrong in guessing that Peter played lead on "In The Skies" - from the notes in your link Snowy White says he played lead on both of those rehearsal tracks. The notes say that "The recordings come from Snowy's own copy tapes" - it would be interesting to hear other material from those tapes!
You're welcome & I agree, I wonder if Snowy has any others? It still seems bizarre that PVK would record over the copies of the rehearsal tapes they used like the notes say but I guess they were a small label & money may have been tight etc.

John
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
You're welcome & I agree, I wonder if Snowy has any others? It still seems bizarre that PVK would record over the copies of the rehearsal tapes they used like the notes say but I guess they were a small label & money may have been tight etc.

John
That's Snowy's lead on both tracks, right.
Though he does a pretty good Greeny!
I've also wondered if there's any Skies outtakes.
The reissues of the PVK albums included outtakes
from all the albums but In the Skies...strange.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Yes, that's what the credits list anyways, Snowy on lead and Peter on rhythm for both tracks. You can hear Peter say to Snowy at the beginning of this version of Slabo Day "You wanna take it this time?" I guess this could be taken different ways but to me I think he was saying "let's do a version with you (Snowy) on lead" so by rights they must've done one before that with PG on lead but like I say he may have meant something different with this comment. It's fun to guess like this though.

John
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Though he does a pretty good Greeny!
I've also wondered if there's any Skies outtakes.
The reissues of the PVK albums included outtakes
from all the albums but In the Skies...strange.
Hello from sunny Italy.

If you have a June 1978 or 1979 New Musical Express article, titled "The Jewish Boy Who Wandered Too Far From Home", then producer Peter Vernon Kell stated that 6 more tracks were recorded during the "In The Skies" sessions.

If this is true, it's strange that they didn't appear on the 2005 reissue of the album.

Stay Green,

Mario.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default do you want to take it this time?

first, thanks for all the replies

I wa out of the area and did not have my password to post again untl now

I thought it was snowy white, but when i heard "do you want to take it this time?, I wondered if Peter was the one who played the different solo.

As mario and others have said, there was a lot of other tape that has not been heard. It would be great if that too was brought out like they did on the other PVK re-releases

thanks again

vinnie c
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
first, thanks for all the replies

I wa out of the area and did not have my password to post again untl now

I thought it was snowy white, but when i heard "do you want to take it this time?, I wondered if Peter was the one who played the different solo.

As mario and others have said, there was a lot of other tape that has not been heard. It would be great if that too was brought out like they did on the other PVK re-releases

thanks again

vinnie c
Vinnie, I listened to the alternate take of "Slabo Day",
and I'm hearing "I'LL take it this time", not "WANT TO take it this time?"...which would mean Peter's playing lead guitar.
To me the rehersal version from "Goldtop" sounds a lot
more like Green than the version of "In the skies".
Somoeone (mario?) sommented that Martin Clemins
was sure Peter played the lead on the rehearsal version.
Does anyone else hear this?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default lend me you ears

Thanks Dino

my ears have been assaulted over the years by guitar amplifiers, leaf blowers, snow throwers, jets, and ex wives and i sometimes second guess myself
on that slabo day alternate take, the lead instrument is similar but not the same as the one used on the album. It was nice solo outing. If it was Peter, it raises a lot of questions of why they did not use it. On the one hand, Snowy was a friend and supporter, but also it might have bee felt that they were honoring him by giving him more exposure. I hope this new boxed set comes up with stuff like this. It would be soothing to these ears

vinnie c