Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Straight Back has really stupid words, but it's kind of a cool track. The band gave it kind of a funk quality -- John's bass, I think. The one recording we have of it being run down live in rehearsal is super-cool, too. Would have been killer on the '82 tour.

I think this is the song about which Christine said that some of the parts that sound like keyboard work are actually guitar work. (I essentially hear only the Yamaha CP-30 being played on a single track on this one. Is there also a phat synth pad?) Typical of Lindsey: To employ his own voice & the voicings of his guitars to simulate other voices or other instruments. Once again, it's all part of the Mac's experiments in confounding listener expectations, in getting us as listeners to think outside the box (the box being the typical pop song on the radio).
I can hear a piano track too on occasion..
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Isn't there less vocals from Stevie on the LP version as well? It's been a while since I've listened to it but it's a lot more spacey and sparse from what I can remember.
Come to think of it, yes! During the "she remembers how good it can be..." bridge, they added a kind of "dueling Stevies," where Stevie adds an extra wail or a couple of "hours and hours..." here and there. Personally, I liked it better without all the extra production. It was like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've always loved Straight Back. I can still remember vividly the first time I heard it. I was on a plane bound for Las Vegas in July '01, and was listening to the two albums I had just received for my birthday: Tango and Mirage. Straight Back came on as we were flying over the Grand Canyon and Lake Mead... it was almost a spiritual thing. It was such a beautiful way to be introduced to such a beautiful song. I've had a soft spot for Straight Back ever since.

I agree it's no Gold Dust Woman or Sisters Of The Moon, but Straight Back is still a classic textbook Stevie Nicks song. I love the spooky, haunting sound it oozes. The backing vocals are sheer perfection. The production may come across as a bit busy with John's thumping bass, the lush vocals, and Lindsey's keyboard-mocking guitarwork... but I think Stevie's very out-in-front vocal helps balance it out. The way the song slowly winds up to an instrumental crescendo at the end is very cool.

This song marks the last time she recorded anything great within the confines of the Mac until Illume and Destiny Rules... a 21 year span. I've always kind of found it odd, yet fitting the song was about how her solo career revived her musical passion... yet the song was recorded for a Mac album. Kinda a foreshadowing of trouble to come.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
But are we talking about the version of SB on the first pressing of the vinyl LP or the version on the subsequent CD release with all of the extra guitar overdubs? I much preferred the LP version- I think all that extra guitar noodling only detracted from the spooky sparseness of the original. Why did they feel the need to do this? From what I've read, it's not even Lindsey playing the guitar- it's Ray!
I remember posting about this, years ago.... Indeed, there were two versions of this released. I bought the cassette version, the day Mirage was released. Cut to a couple of years later, and I bought the CD, and SB is a different version.....

Why was this done, especially with no explanation? Is it not unheard of, to release an album, then go back and change a track, then keep releasing it? I wonder if the first pressing was rushed, to make a release date, or something....

Or, they thought SB had potential as a single, if they reworked it....
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Straight Back

I loved the first 2/3rds of the song. I was not fond of the ending.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Is there an LP version out there?
Here's the LP version.

Straight Back - LP Version
http://www.mediafire.com/?iyyjfndytmw
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always loved Straight Back, I'd even go as far to say it's my favourite song on Mirage (Yes, I even prefer it to Gypsy!)

It reminds me a lot of Gold Dust Woman fused with Sisters of The Moon, two of my all-time favourite Stevie songs. I think her voice sounds amazing on the song, and I love the harmonies with Christine.

I just adore everything about it.

And a huge thank you for posting the live version! I LOVE it!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default HQ version of Straight Back (LP version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badanimals87 View Post
Here's the LP version.

Looks like somebody already beat me to posting it...
But if anyone's interested, here's an excellent quality vinyl rip of "Straight Back" (original LP version)
(listed under January 13, 2010):

http://songsoftheday.synthasite.com

Enjoy!

Last edited by jeffd8382; 01-12-2010 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Making link easier to see
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
Looks like somebody already beat me to posting it... but if anyone's interested, here's a HQ version of the LP version of "Straight Back" (listed under January 13, 2010)

Enjoy!
If you scroll down this page you can also snag Saddest Victory and I Pretend from Sandy Stewart.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I've always loved Straight Back, I'd even go as far to say it's my favourite song on Mirage (Yes, I even prefer it to Gypsy!)

Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the LP version is definitely crisper, i didn't think the song could get any better
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badanimals87 View Post
Here's the LP version.

Why thank you very much!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Too bad, because the version of "Smile At You" recorded then is vastly superior to the "Say You Will" version. I think too much time had passed and the anger was gone.
Ok, I'll bite...

...YOUR OPINION that the Mirage outtake is "vastly superior"...MY OPINION, the Say You Will version blows ANY other version of the song I've heard out of the water. Basically, what even MAKES the song for me is McVie's bass line...only the SYW version has it. Out-of-control, over-the-top vocals by Stevie on those earlier versions, to me, suck eggs.

Anyway, regards to "Straight Back"....never appreciated the song until the CD came out....I longed for the LP version mix. And, I agree that the Mirage CD has one of the most horrid mastering jobs of any Fleetwood Mac album. Why the "alternate mixes"?

The same was when the Tusk CD came out and they'd used an alternate mix of "I Know I'm Not Wrong", when the LP version was, TO ME, vastly superior to the CD version.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always liked "Straight Back" however I would have preferred that the the song it replaced been left where it was. Back when the "Mirage" album was being recorded Stevie was asked what she had on the new album. She said "I have three songs, one called "Gypsy", one called "That's Alright" that goes back to the Buckingham Nicks days and another called "Smile At You"."
"Smile At You" was dropped when Lindsey decided that the song was too angry and that wasn't the direction they wanted to take the album. Too bad, because the version of "Smile At You" recorded then is vastly superior to the "Say You Will" version. I think too much time had passed and the anger was gone.
I agree. I never knew Stevie had spoken about her contributions to Mirage prior to it's release, but her comments would indicate that a finished version of Smile At You from that period exists. Of all the versions I have heard, from 1976 to 2003, the Mirage sessions were definitely the best. Nothing matches the power of her vocals at that time - as ragrsrocalot says, they just sounded effortless.

It's also a shame the band didn't wish to pursue this direction for the album - I think a little anger would have humanised the sterility of proceedings. There are good to great songs aplenty but overall, it's all too subdued and ultimately, not satisfying.

This discussion just makes me pine all the more for a remastered reissue of the Mirage album. If it followed the style of the three reissues from 2004 and had a second disc of alternate versions and outtakes, it would most certainly have to include both Smile At You and the original version of Straight Back.

Why oh why won't Mick milk this opportunity that is right under his nose? The same goes for the 1980 Live album and Tango In The Night. For very little outlay, these reissues could easily recoup whatever costs were involved. Even in this digital, illegal downloading age, these could sell well, especially given the correct marketing strategy. The group's apathy concerning this matter truly mystifies me.

Quote:
The lyrics actually remind me of Daedalus and Icarus a bit.

But my favorite part of the song is the "hours and hours of waiting". Waiting is as heartbreaking and compelling a component of unfulfilled love as loss is, but I don't think it gets the same representation in poems, music or literature. There's something about this song that captures both the hope and emptiness of waiting. Anticipation can buoy you one minute and then turn around and stab you in the chest, when nothing comes of it. Yet, you'd do it again, open yourself up for the same disappointment. You'll continue to wait.

I love the feelings this song stirs up. Love Christine on it. Loved the way this song preceded Hold Me on the album. Stevie talked about a rumpled ball of tuskness, but Mirage is like a rumpled ball of yearning. It's like a wound you don't feel yet, because you're still drugged. So, you're drifting in a dreamlike state, floating in gauze, anesthetic and pretty orchestration. Feels really good now, but you know the pain is coming down the line.
Michele, I love your posting - the sense of yearning contained within Mirage is apparent but could have been better exploited with a little more fire and energy.

I also always liked Christine's harmony vocal on Straight Back (particularly the "like a wolf on the run" line) and the way her piano wove around Stevie during the second verse. I agree, the sequencing from Straight Back to Hold Me was quite inspired.

By the way, I would not have omitted Straight Back, I simply would have included Smile At You as well. If the vinyl time constraints had made it necessary to ditch one track, I would have opted for either Only Over You or Oh Diane (both rubbish in my opinion).

Come to think of it, why was Stevie only relegated three songs again for this album? She was at the peak of her powers, both creatively and commercially (on the back of Bella Donna) yet she only garnered a quarter of the songs? From what I understand, she was present during the entire recording sessions, unlike what was to occur with Tango, so was she simply being punished for having made a successful solo record?

Quote:
Why was this done, especially with no explanation? Is it not unheard of, to release an album, then go back and change a track, then keep releasing it? I wonder if the first pressing was rushed, to make a release date, or something....
The same thing happened with I Know I'm Not Wrong when the Tusk album was first issued on cd - different version and no explanation (I actually prefer the cd version with more prominent vocals from Stevie - it almost becomes a duet).

Of course, the single edit of Sara was also included on the first cd version but this was obviously done to conserve space and at least we already knew it existed as the single version.

Just noticed your post chiliD after I'd submitted mine. Hahaha - we seem to disagree about which particular version is the best!

Last edited by Phil; 01-13-2010 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: chiliD's post
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I think a little anger would have humanised the sterility of proceedings. There are good to great songs aplenty but overall, it's all too subdued and ultimately, not satisfying.
Mirage sterile??? To me, Tango is the STERILE album! I know Mirage doesn't get much respect, but I much prefer it to Tango! Tango sounds to me, like Lindsey tinkering with digital recording and editing, for years, until every note is perfect. Tango doesn't sound like a BAND, playing! I think Tango stands the test of time, less than ALL the other albums.
I love me some Mirage. Why they don't remaster it, only shows how bad FM's business sense truly is!