Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
So discussions outside of gushing about Fleetwood Mac aren't allowed here now? As long as I've been a member they have. Clearly some people want to talk about this even if you don't.
Woah, erm, Rude much? I think, upon reading DefDumbandBlond's post again, you could re-interpret it that I've managed to sway this poor thread about the Band into a pretty nasty debate about the Beatles and that she wants to get back onto the subject of Fleetwood Mac, as do I.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Woah, erm, Rude much? I think, upon reading DefDumbandBlond's post again, you could re-interpret it that I've managed to sway this poor thread about the Band into a pretty nasty debate about the Beatles and that she wants to get back onto the subject of Fleetwood Mac, as do I.
Are you serious? How is it a nasty debate? Threads often veer off topic into interesting territory. Just because they are not completely about Fleetwood Mac doesn't make them any less worthy.

Last edited by trackaghost; 01-12-2010 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you serious? How is it a nasty debate? Threads often veer of topic into interesting territory. Just because they are not completely about Fleetwood Mac doesn't make them any less worthy.
I was referring sheer amount of contradiction and how some of these posts read.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I was referring sheer amount of contradiction and how some of these posts read.
I really don't see any nastiness here, just a discussion. If you think this thread is nasty please report it to the mods but if people aren't allowed to disagree and argue their opposing points then it takes away a huge part of what this board has always been about.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
blondyy-x
This message has been deleted by blondyy-x.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So discussions outside of gushing about Fleetwood Mac aren't allowed here now? As long as I've been a member they have. Clearly some people want to talk about this even if you don't.
I don't believe anywhere in my post I said it wasn't allowed. Not everyone here wants to 'gush' about The Beatles apparently, and I and quite a few others on here aren't the type of people who like to nit pick over things and keep arguing about something that everyone has a different opinion about. Sure people are allowed to argue their points, but who wants to come on the computer, which usually people do to relax during the day, to come on here and argue back and forth? Certainly not me. I don't get my kicks out of it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But you don't have to join in or read it, so I don't understand what the problem is.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Girls, it appears the mods on the other forums we use have allowed us to lead sheltered lives.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But you don't have to join in or read it, so I don't understand what the problem is.
No, I don't HAVE to read it. The problem is that I and quite a few others on here WANT to read about Fleetwood Mac, not pages upon pages of bickering!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefDumbandBlond View Post
No, I don't HAVE to read it. The problem is that I and quite a few others on here WANT to read about Fleetwood Mac, not pages upon pages of bickering!>
But there's loads of threads here about Fleetwood Mac You don't need to read this one if it annoys you so.
And there's discussions or "bickering" as you call it, in many of them too.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you serious? How is it a nasty debate? Threads often veer of topic into interesting territory. Just because they are not completely about Fleetwood Mac doesn't make them any less worthy.
why are you so mean, sharon???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefDumbandBlond View Post
I don't believe anywhere in my post I said it wasn't allowed. Not everyone here wants to 'gush' about The Beatles apparently, and I and quite a few others on here aren't the type of people who like to nit pick over things and keep arguing about something that everyone has a different opinion about. Sure people are allowed to argue their points, but who wants to come on the computer, which usually people do to relax during the day, to come on here and argue back and forth? Certainly not me. I don't get my kicks out of it.
WELCOME TO THE LEDGE.

if you do not want to have spirited debate; if you do not wish to be required to back up your claims/opinions; if you just want to talk about how awesome this/that/the other thing is without worrying that someone might have a dissenting thought, please check out seven wonders, as i hear there are few thoughts there, period, let alone dissenting ones.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfwiner View Post
I just thought I'd point out that a large chunk of the Beatles best work probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds was a major influence on their post-Revolver work, especially SPLHCB. They were also a MAJOR influence on Lindsey.
I agree here. The tradition of orchestrations & arrangements -- the very notion itself that a track is built in a recording environment by layering voicings recorded at different times -- in the Beach Boys & certainly in the Beatles can be traced directly down to Fleetwood Mac during the Buckingham/Dashut/Caillat era.

In that sense, Fleetwood Mac is one of the most noticeable artistic heirs of the Beatles & the Beach Boys.

My own view is that I don't see how it's even possible (or at least how it's likely) to be drawn to Fleetwood Mac's work from 1977 to 1987 & not to find anything to like in the George Martin Beatles productions. They have so much in common in terms of methods (for example, employing instruments in ways for which they weren't specifically designed), tracking philosophies, even sounds. But I've always held a view that is a personal quirk: To adore Fleetwood Mac without being aware of Mac's Beatles-inspired track-building creativity is to miss the fundamental strength of the Mac from that period.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
Are you saying this because I spelled "off-topic" with only one "f"? :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfwiner View Post
I just thought I'd point out that a large chunk of the Beatles best work probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds was a major influence on their post-Revolver work, especially SPLHCB. They were also a MAJOR influence on Lindsey.
Very true although Brian Wilson was in turn inspired by The Beatles. Didn't he in fact make his masterpiece Pet Sounds because he wanted to make a better album than Rubber Soul (or was it Revolver)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

In that sense, Fleetwood Mac is one of the most noticeable artistic heirs of the Beatles & the Beach Boys.

My own view is that I don't see how it's even possible (or at least how it's likely) to be drawn to Fleetwood Mac's work from 1977 to 1987 & not to find anything to like in the George Martin Beatles productions. They have so much in common in terms of methods (for example, employing instruments in ways for which they weren't specifically designed), tracking philosophies, even sounds. But I've always held a view that is a personal quirk: To adore Fleetwood Mac without being aware of Mac's Beatles-inspired track-building creativity is to miss the fundamental strength of the Mac from that period.
Interesting. Thanks for that David. I always wondered how influenced Lindsey was by The Beatles. I know he did that George Harrison cover but I was sure there was more of an influence than that. Do you know if he, or any of the Mac, ever spoke about it?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for that David. I always wondered how influenced Lindsey was by The Beatles. I know he did that George Harrison cover but I was sure there was more of an influence than that. Do you know if he, or any of the Mac, ever spoke about it?
I've heard Lindsey talking about them, but what I really remember is how Stevie said she was a little bit angry with them because Lindsey kept pushing the Beatles on her and she just got weary of hearing about them from him.

Michele
Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post

WELCOME TO THE LEDGE.

if you do not want to have spirited debate; if you do not wish to be required to back up your claims/opinions; if you just want to talk about how awesome this/that/the other thing is without worrying that someone might have a dissenting thought, please check out seven wonders, as i hear there are few thoughts there, period, let alone dissenting ones.
dId you say dissention?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I've heard Lindsey talking about them, but what I really remember is how Stevie said she was a little bit angry with them because Lindsey kept pushing the Beatles on her and she just got weary of hearing about them from him.

Michele
Now you say it I remember that too, that's pretty funny
I can imagine Lindsey being more of a fan than Stevie although she did say that she wrote Edge Of Seventeen partly inspired by John Lennon's death so she must have admired him a little at least.