The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The best version of Rosebud Rhiannon!?

Ok guys, I've found this version on youtube which I believe is the best quality (video and audio) that I've ever seen. The only problem is that it's slightly sped up, so it's shorter, and a semi tone higher than it should be. Could somebody fix that? I've been looking for a great quality version of Rosebud Rhiannon for ages. This is the video, and I'll extract the audio in mp3 format, and post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPyk...eature=related
Old 01-10-2010, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is the mp3:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z6APCC04
Old 01-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So was this recorded for a tv show? Or did the tv show use a recording of a live performance FM did for friends & family (what I always thought that this was)

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems to me that it was recorded for a TV show. There are a few people standing around, but to me it looks like there is no sign of an audience. God, why don't they simply release it on DVD? Songs from Rosebud are used for videos, and they are constantly using it for documentaries and interviews. In my opinion, the whole thing is one of their best live performances.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It says 'Whistle Test' at the beginning, so I presume this performance is from the Old Grey Whistle Test, a programme recorded for the BBC in the 70s and 80s to showcase new bands and music. The bands performed in front of just a few cameras and crew with the bare minimum of set.

Last edited by LittleCharmer; 01-10-2010 at 07:22 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Ledgie

That's rolling right along at 132 bpm. Great live performance.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
joe

The Rosebud film was for promotional purposes - partly to be used in place of an actual live performance that may have been typically done for shows like Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or Midnight Special. I realize they performed on the Midnight Special but that was prior to Rumours and Rosebud has a few Rumours songs on it (GYOW, YMLF). I ran across something years ago that had show lineups for various dates in 1977 (and later) and FM was on many times. It also listed the songs and they featured all the hits from Rumours at various times. That's where the Dreams and Don't Stop videos come in as well. My theory is that since the band was so busy on tour they probably were asked to do a few promo live clips since they already had stuff from Rosebud. This way, the band didn't have interrupt its touring schedule and WB could just provide videos to the various shows that wanted them to perform. This was a fairly common practice back then. Although I never saw these 1977 shows, I am fairly certain that they just used the Rosebud clips. I don't think FM performed live again on Midnight Special or Rock Concert.

Same thing with Solid Gold. My earliest vivid memory I have of FM that made an impression was seeing Sara on Solid Gold in early 1980. I am sure I heard them on the radio prior to that. It was the clip from the doc. I was merely 10 and, actually, in love with Debbie Harry at the time. When FM came on, I was confused and thought it was supposed to be Blondie but knew it wasn't. I guess I didn't realize that there were in fact other bands that had female singers lol. Anyway, I was (pardon the pun), enchanted. The song didn't really stick in my memory but I remember how Stevie looked especially the ending when she was singing into Lindsey's mike - head back. And that never left me. I remember they replayed that clip on another episode and I was with my sister at her friend's house. Her friend even asked, "is that Blondie?" I replied with confidence, "no." Not sure why, they don't exactly look alike. Anway, I'm so off topic here....

Same could be said for The Old Grey Whistle test. Many bands performed at the actual studio/hall and you can see the logo hanging behind the band. VH1 Classic has shown these episodes in the past. I caught a couple of great Tom Petty episodes last year - 2 in fact - one from 1977 (or 78) and 1979.

Last edited by joe; 01-10-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
The Rosebud film was for promotional purposes - partly to be used in place of an actual live performance that may have been typically done for shows like Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or Midnight Special. I realize they performed on the Midnight Special but that was prior to Rumours and Rosebud has a few Rumours songs on it (GYOW, YMLF). I ran across something years ago that had show lineups for various dates in 1977 (and later) and FM was on many times. It also listed the songs and they featured all the hits from Rumours at various times. That's where the Dreams and Don't Stop videos come in as well. My theory is that since the band was so busy on tour they probably were asked to do a few promo live clips since they already had stuff from Rosebud. This way, the band didn't have interrupt its touring schedule and WB could just provide videos to the various shows that wanted them to perform. This was a fairly common practice back then. Although I never saw these 1977 shows, I am fairly certain that they just used the Rosebud clips. I don't think FM performed live again on Midnight Special or Rock Concert.
This makes sense

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Could this be sped up? It's a key higher than usual.