Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Vancouver, April 4, 2015

[Excerpt from an article about what to do this weekend]

http://www.straight.com/blogra/42418...tion-april-3-5

The Georgia Straight by Steve Newton on April 2nd, 2015

"Every once in a while a low-budget indie fright flick comes along that makes everything on the major studios’ horror plate look like a pile of steaming crap," wrote one of the world's most esteemed and influential film critics in a recent review,"It Follows is that film, right now."

After getting the poo scared out of you by It Follows, a nice way to mellow out somewhat would be to see Fleetwood Mac at Rogers Arena on Saturday. I saw the band at the same venue just over two years ago, but this time it also includes Christine McVie, who returned last year to solidify the '70s lineup that tore up the charts with albums like 1977's monumental Rumours.

With McVie back, the current setlist has been altered to include songs she wrote and sang, like "Say You Love Me" and "Over My Head". So if you're the world's biggest Christine McVie fan you may wanna splurge and see the group on this tour, because—unlike the Stones—they won't be around forever. The band has been opening shows with one of my fave Mac tracks, "The Chain", a percussive showcase for legendary drummer Mick Fleetwood, who I interviewed back in 1997.

“I get to whack the hell outta my drums on that, that’s for sure,” Fleetwood told me back then. “That was basically a band effort in terms of there was a lot of jamming that went into the original track. We all sat round and Stevie put the words in, Lindsey was arranging it, and it was just one of those oddball things that was deemed ‘Let’s just make this a band song.’ It’s certainly very, very apropos in terms of the survival of Fleetwood Mac. You couldn’t write a more specific song in terms of this bunch.”

If you are going to the Fleetwood Mac show on Saturday, a pretty decent way to get lubed up for it—as long as you promise not to drive—is the first annual Beer League Bash that starts at 4 pm at the Britannia Ice Rink.

My final recommendation for the rock 'n' roll weekend is just to pop out to Zulu Records on 4th or Neptoon on Main, search around for some vintage Fleetwood Mac vinyl, and then spend Easter Friday to Easter Monday enveloped in the bluesy guitar genius of Peter Green.

I'm making that recommendation for the sole reason that it allows me an excuse to show this: [vintage FM clip]