Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2002, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default CVB's Tusk

Has anyone heard Camper Van Beethoven's recording of "Tusk" yet? What's it like? I'm dying to hear it, but haven't found a way to get a copy.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Ledgie

Default look on audiogalaxy

I have found 3 songs on audiogalaxy (save me a place, think about me and over and over) although i have only downloaded think about me. it is different to what i expected but i like it.

www.audiogalaxy.com

Nick.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been listening to this set today. I'm finding it very enjoyable at loud volumes & EQ'd to my taste.

It's having an unusual effect on me: I generally ignore lyrics or only recite them in the most robotic way when the same Fleetwood song has been running through my head for the past 20 years, but these Camper covers are putting the lyrics into sharp, conscious focus for me. Consequently, I'm making a lot of "new" discoveries in these old words.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally got my copy in the mail today.
All in all, it's great fun. The renditions range from the faithful ("Never Forget," "Think About Me," "Beautiful Child," "I Know I'm Not Wrong") to the truly bizarre. "Sisters of the Moon" is really wild: what sounds like a Speak 'N Spell intones Stevie's lyrics over a disco beat. They do a similarly left-field version of "Sara" that's less successful. It's tough for me to hear any non-Mac version of this song; it's one of my favorites of all time.
"Honey Hi" is utterly charming. It was apparently recorded on a street corner in Tijuana. You can hear traffic noise and conversations in the background. The lyrics are sung in Spanish.
Impressively, the disc manages to be both reverential and a bit of a send up. Definitely worth your time.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Packaging

What a hoot! I just got mine - brown padded envelope with the address hand printed in what looks like magic marker. There are four large assorted postage stamps and "Tusk" is scribbled on the bottom left corner of the envelope . . .Pitch-A-Tent is very low-key and personal with their marketing - I love it and can't wait to listen to it later.
Barbara
Old 05-22-2002, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ok...

i've been to 3 record stores, searched amazon and cdnow but can't seem to find the cd listed anywhere.

It looks like it must be ordered online..

does anyone have the link??

I'm really intrigued and interested in hearing this record, especially after reading Blinker's thoughts.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Keith -
You can order it from the record label's web site which is:
http://www.pitch-a-tent.com
Barbara
Old 05-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default thanks, Barbara..

i'm on my way to order the cd.

I'm especially anxious to hear Sisters of the Moon and Honey Hi (in spanish)!

thanks!
Old 06-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yea, it’s different and quirky and is probably how Lindsey wanted Tusk to really sound like - but then he had to reign in his creativity and fine tune Tusk into that ‘Fleetwood Mac’ magic. I love Tusk - the original version. One of my favorite albums ever - and now, I’m hearing it again - it‘s the same, but it‘s not the same. It doesn’t have the magic of my beloved Fleetwood Mac original, but it has enough passion to keep me interested. I have now listened to it four times.

I really like Camper Van Beethoven’s ‘Tusk.” Like I said earlier, it’s quirky. Definitely a radical turn from our beloved Mac version - maybe this is the left turn Lindsey was referring to.

“Wait a minute baby,
stay with me a while
you said you’d be my light
you never told me about the fire.”

The first few licks of “Over and Over” made me think of Sheryl Crow. I actually like this version better than the original. The music, that is. I would have loved to hear Christine’s voice on this arrangement.
It sounds like one of the Dixie Chicks showed up and played on “The Ledge.” “Think About Me” is pure pop. “Save Me a Place” is probably my least favorite - it‘s too heavy laden with instruments, especially the horn. I love Lindsey’s simple approach much better. At first I thought ‘Sara” was being massacred, but it’s growing on me . I love the violin on “Storms” - one of my favorite tracks.

“Last call for everyone.” “That’s all for Everyone.” I’m glad CVB misread the lyrics as “must be just exactly what I need.” I never liked Lindsey’s words on this track. “Sisters of the Moon” is another favorite. The words are read, almost mechanically, but they blend nicely into the hypnotic music. You could square dance to “That’s Enough for Me.” “Brown Eyes” takes a few listens to warm up to, and, although it’s lacks the sexiness of the original, it works in the context of this album. “Never Make Me Cry” retains its sadness.

I do miss Chris’ accordion in “I Know I’m Not Wrong,“ but this new version still makes me tap my feet and hum along at the end. I like how the ending fades into the streets of Tijuana. I like this Spanish version of “Honey Hi.” “Beautiful Child” is still beautiful - in a weird sort of way. Techno -“Tusk” is another one of my favorites. and “Never Forget” ends the album on a nice note with it’s folksy riff.

Approaching the album with an open mind and giving it more than one listen, I find myself slightly captivated with what I’m hearing.

I thought these words found on the inside of the cover were interesting:

The original recording of “Tusk” was done in March 1987 at Sunshine’s parent’s cabin, Biship, CA, near the ski town of Mammoth, where we went to do songwriting for CVB’s third record. Chris broke his arm skiing the first day. Here, as a lark, at Sunshine’s suggestion, we began recording “Tusk” on 4-track, trying to record the whole album in a couple of days. “Honey Hi” was recorded by Jonathan in Tijuana shortly afterwards, but never totally finished because of infighting , the project was shelved. The tapes were lost for many years, finally discovered in the storeroom at Greg’s parents shop. Artisans, in Santa Cruz, Mark Linkous, somehow also had a cassette with a few songs on it that had managed to survive. We spent several weeks putting them back together. Many of the tapes were damaged , sometimes as only one outer tracks was screwed, sometimes whole songs were almost unusable. We used one i-book, a g-3 laptop and the Ovalcomm 9000 for reconstruction (i think, as the handwriting is hard to read at times) at Sound of Music, Richmond VA, in April 2001. Some additional recordings were done at Magnetic Recording, S.F. The final mixes were done at Sound of Music, December 2001 to January 2002. Is this DENT 3? No lumpy gravy... there is a list of incorrect things...

Thanks to Sunshine for the idea, and Fleetwood Mac for the blueprint.

It’s obvious that CVB loves Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk. “ They had to have known the record inside and out if they had planned to record it in only a few days. I’m glad they put the pieces back together, because I must admit. I really like this quirky record. :-)