User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmabelnormand View Post
I absolutely adore this version of Sorcerer, and wish Stevie sang lead vocals.
She doesn't have the chops to sing it like Marilyn Martin.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Probably not, but Stevie has far more passion and a certain special quality which Marilyn lacks.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But what makes the MM version is Stevie's vocal, especially that awesome "Lady from the Mouuuuuuuuuntttaaaaaaaiiiiin" howl and the way she basically takes the whole song over at the end.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Also, Stevie isn't credited on the "Streets Of Fire" version of Sorcerer, even though she sings solo in several parts and, by the end of the song before it fades, basically takes over. LOL!
I just paged back and saw your comment after posting mine.... she does definitely take that song over by the end!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
But what makes the MM version is Stevie's vocal, especially that awesome "Lady from the Mouuuuuuuuuntttaaaaaaaiiiiin" howl and the way she basically takes the whole song over at the end.
No MM vocal makes that song great. She sings the ****tttt out of that song.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually prefer the Laurie Sargent version of "Sorcerer", which is the version that's ACTUALLY IN the film. I like the acoustic guitar and kick drum intro. It's bad ass! It's much more mystical and atmospheric than both the MM soundtrack version and Stevie's TISL version. I really wish the full song would have been released. Sadly, I don't think it ever will be.

Sorry to keep off topic.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmabelnormand View Post
I absolutely adore this version of Sorcerer, and wish Stevie sang lead vocals.
She just gave such a fat, juicy, sultry vocal on that one... definitely one of my fav vocals of her career.

Regarding Stevie being "uncredited" for Whenever I Call You Friend, maybe she wanted it that way? Perhaps she didn't want to overshadow Kenny since she was the 'established' artist, and simply wanted to aid his career. At that time she was making money hand over fist and was arguably the hottest woman in music. I highly doubt she'd care about receiving full "credit" for a duet from an unknown singer/songwriter. After all, look at who she was duetting with in the 70s: Kenny Loggins, Walter Egan, John Stewart... all of these guys were relative unknowns in comparison to Fleetwood Mac at that point. Kenny and Walter were upstarts releasing their first albums; John was established thanks to his time in the Kingston Trio, but somewhat obscure solo. Singing with the likes of Don Henley and Tom Petty didn't arrive until the next decade.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I highly doubt she'd care about receiving full "credit" for a duet from an unknown singer/songwriter. After all, look at who she was duetting with in the 70s: Kenny Loggins, Walter Egan, John Stewart... all of these guys were relative unknowns in comparison to Fleetwood Mac at that point. Kenny and Walter were upstarts releasing their first albums; John was established thanks to his time in the Kingston Trio, but somewhat obscure solo. Singing with the likes of Don Henley and Tom Petty didn't arrive until the next decade.
Um, Kenny was far from being unknown during that time period. For the previous seven years, he was a huge part (and one half) of Loggins & Messina and had four top 20 albums (two of which were top 10) and three very popular top 20 radio singles.

During Fleetwood Mac's white album tour, they actually OPENED for Loggins & Messina.

Also, "Nightwatch" with WICYF was Loggins' SECOND solo album.

Fleetwood Mac's popularity pretty much eclipsed EVERYONE ELSE'S after "Rumours" was released but still, I would hardly call Kenny an "unknown" or an "upstart" by the time "Nightwatch" was released. If anything, he was more of a household name and she was still the "obscure girl singer" from Fleetwood Mac. I'd argue that most casual music fans didn't truly remember her name until "Bella Donna" was released a couple of years later.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 04-07-2016 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the recording artists have much to do with what's written on the record sleeve. That stuff is usually handled by the record company. I think if you have clout you can wrestle creative control out of their hands and pick the artwork and stuff like that but I think someone else does the writing on the labels. I'm sure the decision was purely the record company's decision.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I don't think the recording artists have much to do with what's written on the record sleeve. That stuff is usually handled by the record company. I think if you have clout you can wrestle creative control out of their hands and pick the artwork and stuff like that but I think someone else does the writing on the labels. I'm sure the decision was purely the record company's decision.
I'm sure you are totally naive. She was a star.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No MM vocal makes that song great. She sings the ****tttt out of that song.
Some singers are more technically proficient, but others have a certain charisma that transcends....that's Stevie. Not MM.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
I feel that it's probably more on an equal footing between artist and record label. Or maybe 49% artist and 51% label. I can't imagine that a record company wouldn't involve the artist. I mean look at the Bella Donna and Wild Heart album covers. Not spectacular covers, but clearly they have that ethereal Stevie thing happening. That's more her than the record company. But the whole relationship is a marriage, so I'm sure there's compromise on both sides. You might have an argument for the current artists having less to do with their covers, though. And I'm sure packaging and fonts are probably more record label in-house designers than the artist.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I feel that it's probably more on an equal footing between artist and record label. Or maybe 49% artist and 51% label. I can't imagine that a record company wouldn't involve the artist. I mean look at the Bella Donna and Wild Heart album covers. Not spectacular covers, but clearly they have that ethereal Stevie thing happening. That's more her than the record company. But the whole relationship is a marriage, so I'm sure there's compromise on both sides. You might have an argument for the current artists having less to do with their covers, though. And I'm sure packaging and fonts are probably more record label in-house designers than the artist.

Wasn't it partly her record company ,so she could do and have a say

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode...rds_%281980%29

Last edited by olive; 04-10-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Old 04-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Supporting Ledgie

^Haha that's right! Right out of the gate she wanted control over her albums. I would imagine that came from being only 1/5 of the influencing party over the Fleetwood Mac stuff. I can't possibly imagine how anyone could think Stevie has "little" to do with album art, even if you look at later albums like Trouble in Shangri La and In Your Dreams. They are so distinctly Stevie. So either she has a huge play in that, or the record companies feel they "know how to market her."
Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

There was an interview with Stevie during the Rock A Little tour (national radio broadcast) where she talked about this song. Stevie said she loved Kenny but he was so strict in the studio and said "the whip would come down."

Its not unusual to not give another artist credit. Stevie never gave Prince credit on Stand Back. And no, I don't believe her story that Prince told her not to do it. But even if that was true, you still would give someone credit for playing critical parts of your first single from a new album.
However, to not give someone credit for singing a duet is pretty odd. Stevie does not just sing back up, she sings full verses.
As someone correctly pointed out, the Mac opened for Loggins and Messina in 1975 so that is when they got to know eachother well.