User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
MSN cites the UK paper The Daily Mail as its source for that information. And I don't blame you for not knowing this, Viv, but the Daily Mail is an absolute sensationalist rag and everything you take from their reporting needs to come with a massive grain of salt. It is pretty well documented that ice in restaurants has more bacteria than the layperson would expect, but there's just a lot of things wrong with the original Daily Mail article that msn links to, and I just can't not comment. For example, vague citations (who are these "experts" they keep referring to?), and why on earth was toilet water used as the benchmark in the first place? There is no scientific reason for that, and toilet water is cleaner than many people think. They're obviously just using it to play up the "Ewww" factor.
So, I understand the sourse is a gossip rag, but I have to tell you - I worked in a bar that had an ice machine. Another employee warned me one time to never use the ice in my own beverages, and when asked why, all he said was to open the ice maker, turn my head upside down, and look up into the machine.

Well, I'm glad I did, and I've not used an ice machine in 11 years. The inside-top of that machine was coated - positively coated - in black snot-like slime and mold

Sensationalist newsrag or not, the advice to avoid ice machines (especially in hotels where the cleaning practices are already questionable) is sound advice, and I'd highly recommend that anyone tempted to use one look inside of it first. Carefully.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your sister, too, MFF.

And yes, The Daily Mail is about as good as a Star mag. But it looks and sounds a lot more like a "real" newspaper. It's the kind of publishing that's popular because it feeds the reader an opinion, and many readers prefer that to having to make up their own mind about things.
Thanks Dex .

And yes about the Star mag.

I used to just buy them for the photos.The printed matter you can take it in or leave it because some of its BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks David

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
So, I understand the sourse is a gossip rag, but I have to tell you - I worked in a bar that had an ice machine. Another employee warned me one time to never use the ice in my own beverages, and when asked why, all he said was to open the ice maker, turn my head upside down, and look up into the machine.

Well, I'm glad I did, and I've not used an ice machine in 11 years. The inside-top of that machine was coated - positively coated - in black snot-like slime and mold

Sensationalist newsrag or not, the advice to avoid ice machines (especially in hotels where the cleaning practices are already questionable) is sound advice, and I'd highly recommend that anyone tempted to use one look inside of it first. Carefully.
Gossip rag isn't really it. I'd probably describe it more as the print equivalent of Fox News.

And yes, ice machines are often nasty bacteria haven. I did try to acknowledge that in my post. But the actual Daily Mail article that MSN cited was just appallingly bad, and it causes me physical pain to see websites cite it as a legitimate source. Gotta give the 2 cents, and whatnot.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You should have said it.

This is not a rant against Facebook, but after a few years of being there I'm starting to notice that Facebook is just an avenue that helps friends take their friendships for granted. There's no need to call, or visit or even text or e-mail - it's all on Facebook.

Sharing and commenting on status updates is not a friendship of any sort.
I have to say, I do call and text and visit many people that I correspond with on Facebook. I think social media doesn't necessarily mean the death of those things. There are a lot of people I speak with on Facebook that I wouldn't correspond with in a way that required more effort, but that'd be true whether or not I was their Facebook friends. I just really wouldn't bother keeping up with them at all if not for Facebook.

I do think you make a good point, though. Facebook does trivialize a lot of gestures that would otherwise be considered very meaningful and heartfelt, and I think that's really too bad. For example, I don't put my date of birth on Facebook, because it bugs me to have a flood of people come on and wish me "Happy Birthday!" just because Facebook literally told them to. That's just... icky, to me. The "like" feature is another one. I'm guilty of using it myself, unfortunately, but it is such a lazy way of completely bypassing any real interaction with someone.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have to say, I do call and text and visit many people that I correspond with on Facebook. I think social media doesn't necessarily mean the death of those things. There are a lot of people I speak with on Facebook that I wouldn't correspond with in a way that required more effort, but that'd be true whether or not I was their Facebook friends. I just really wouldn't bother keeping up with them at all if not for Facebook.
I call, text and e-mail people too. Hell, I'm old-fashioned - I write notes and send mail because I know what a kind and thoughtful gesture it can be. Otherwise, I agree - and that is what Facebook is best for - keeping in touch with distant loved ones.

Quote:
I do think you make a good point, though. Facebook does trivialize a lot of gestures that would otherwise be considered very meaningful and heartfelt, and I think that's really too bad. For example, I don't put my date of birth on Facebook, because it bugs me to have a flood of people come on and wish me "Happy Birthday!" just because Facebook literally told them to. That's just... icky, to me. The "like" feature is another one. I'm guilty of using it myself, unfortunately, but it is such a lazy way of completely bypassing any real interaction with someone.
Yes, and this is why I'm considering something unusual...I might delete all the friends who live in Denver with me, only keeping the out-of-town folks. I just don't see why I should be expected to use Facebook as the sole method of communication with friends of 20 years who live a mile away from me and can't be bothered to use their phone to, you know, *talk*. It's absurd.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, and this is why I'm considering something unusual...I might delete all the friends who live in Denver with me, only keeping the out-of-town folks. I just don't see why I should be expected to use Facebook as the sole method of communication with friends of 20 years who live a mile away from me and can't be bothered to use their phone to, you know, *talk*. It's absurd.
Sounds good to me. Sometimes it's worth testing relationships. They are work, and it's sometimes good to find out whether the work is really worth it or not. Let us know how it goes if you do go this route.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just don't see why I should be expected to use Facebook as the sole method of communication with friends of 20 years who live a mile away from me and can't be bothered to use their phone to, you know, *talk*. It's absurd.
I've been a FB user for 11 months and while I always shared these same thoughts, I now feel differently. We all have busy lives and different schedules and I find it much easier to keep up with their lives online. That way when one doesn't call in a long time, at least I know why they've been busy rather than knowing nothing about them at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anybody remember their first Walkman .

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-10

Most of you probably worn out the Belladonna cassette in it plus other faves in it.

My first one was a cheap fleamarket no brand one for about $40 which also record too.

It had alot of wow and flutter while jogging.

Stevie's music sounded like she was freezing with the chills.LOL.....

Later on I got a Sony Walkman with auto reverse which records in both directions which was great for live recording.It was great for jogging with little or no wow and flutter .This model cost about $260 with the stereo mike from Tweeter ETC.

What wow and flutter means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow_and...er_measurement

My Sony minidisc took over the live shows in 2001.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Blessings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
On a sad note. Today would of been my late sisters 63rd birthday.I lost her in 2007 with breast cancer.

RIP Donna Lee....
I am sorry you are sad. I lost my sister too. When I reflect on my time with her...all I remember is the beauty of love...and how blessed I am to be her brother.

Sending love and prayers...
For You....and your sister, Donna Lee.

"...I have come to make you better...I'll make you better..."

Jim
Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I've been a FB user for 11 months and while I always shared these same thoughts, I now feel differently. We all have busy lives and different schedules and I find it much easier to keep up with their lives online. That way when one doesn't call in a long time, at least I know why they've been busy rather than knowing nothing about them at all.
This is very true. But, when FB interaction becomes a substitute for all meaningful contact, it is suddenly less appealing.

I think many interpret the "Like" or comment on a friend's page as a legitimate social activity, and that's really just a false sense of interaction.

Not to sound whiny about it, but it's been bothering me. It's partly age, and partly realizing that I've been complicit as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaidSomething View Post
I am sorry you are sad. I lost my sister too. When I reflect on my time with her...all I remember is the beauty of love...and how blessed I am to be her brother.

Sending love and prayers...
For You....and your sister, Donna Lee.

"...I have come to make you better...I'll make you better..."

Jim
Yes. Thank you Jim.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You should have said it.

This is not a rant against Facebook, but after a few years of being there I'm starting to notice that Facebook is just an avenue that helps friends take their friendships for granted. There's no need to call, or visit or even text or e-mail - it's all on Facebook.

Sharing and commenting on status updates is not a friendship of any sort.
Well, I have a hard time with confrontation. I'm not afraid...I just LOATHE arguing with people. Dealing with hurt feelings(I'd rather just suck it up, myself - than deal with possibly hurting their feelings).

I'm a facebook whore. I can't leave it alone. Checking it constantly. I NEVER wanted to join...and Michelle2677(remember her, from here?) dragged me kicking and screaming, onto FB. And I became hooked!

Fact is...I have MANY more friends now, because of FB, than I used to. And I mean in real life! I used to be really anti-social, and after joining FB, I ended up invited to a couple of parties(where I literally only knew one person), and it was funny. Everybody liked me, and all of the sudden I was in the middle of this huge social circle in my town, that I was never a part of, before. I've analyzed the hell out of it, and it's true, I really owe it all to FB. I have party invitations almost every weekend, now...
And I meet with friends from there(that I never knew before) a couple of times a week, for dinner.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Karma, kids. F*cking karma. Gotta love it!!!

So, from my previous "all the new friends I've made in the past 3-4 years, mostly through FB post".....
In the large social group I hang out with, there has always been this one DOUCHE. He's a law professor(young - like 28), very good looking, and extremely stuck up. We've been at probably 10 parties together, and I've never even been able to get a "hi" in(and I've tried, I'm friendly towards everyone). But nope...totally get the "I'm better than you, and I know it" vibe. His girlfriend seems okay, but never got a hi from her, either...oh well, sh*t happens, right?
So last night, I'm sitting having a drink with a great friend, who really is the center of our social circle. We have previously and recently discussed Professor Douche, and how I think he's a stuck up POS.
----------
Okay - back story...I myself host BIG summertime pool parties, inviting about 50 people to them. The parties get wild, and are apparently talked about all over town.
-----------
Soooo, he comes up to my friend last night, and starts talking, ignoring my existence, of course. So I'm eavesdropping on their conversation, and he says,
"So, 'Mike', I keep hearing about these fantastic huge pool parties that someone hosts, that we've never been invited to? I hear the water is warm as bathwater, and things get crazy. I don't know who it is that hosts them, but we wanna go!"
My friend gets this sh*t eating grin on his face, realizing that I'm hearing every word the guys says.
He goes on and on, for about 5 minutes, and my friend finally whispers to me, "do you want me to tell him?" I said, "sure, as long as you make it funny".
So he points at me, and says, "this is my good friend David...he's the one who hosts all the parties you're talking about".
Well Professor Douche instantly becomes a new person...."Oh hi, I don't think we've ever met, I'm R***. If you ever want more people at your parties, you should invite us".
I just smiled and said, "sure, we'll see...nice to meet you".
Now there is no f*cking way in hell that they will ever get an invitation from ME. It would be an Eagles reunion(hell freezing over) for that to happen. If you think you're too good for others. If you have no empathy for others. If you think just because you're successful and beautiful, that you're better than others....well kiss my ass. Because a scummy douchebag like you will never taint my water, you stuck up F*CK.
Karma, my friends....it's a bitch sometimes!
JTIS!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Today I've been cigarette free for 11 years! Go Mark!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Today I've been cigarette free for 11 years! Go Mark!
Congrats Mark.I never got into smoking.Thank god.But I love that taste of smooth booze ages ago.I was drinking it like soda pop.I never like the taste of beer.It always taste like pee water to me. LOL. I'm glad I kick that habit 25 years ago.