User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
To jump off of this... I actually think Stevie has some memory problems already. I think the drug abuse really did damage to her brain.

Some of the only straight stories I think we hear from her is working in restaurants/cleaning a house and the writing of Landslide.

The Prince story has differed, the crisis of a single for BD story has differed, she thinks she first went to Walter Reed when she was on the Say You Will Tour in 2005, which ended in the summer of 2004. Poor Lady.
But I think $he's always been like that. $he's just a little stoner hippie chick, who has never made much sense.

$he does deserve an award though, IMO, for going so far in life, with so little talent and seemingly, so little intelligence.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
$he does deserve an award though, IMO, for going so far in life, with so little talent and seemingly, so little intelligence.
Joe Walsh told Howard Stern that she's good at the crafting of a song. I love Joe Walsh so I'll agree with him.
I mean her voice is my favorite voice in the world but as Mick said, she's not a musician.

On the award: I was at MusiCares and she actually said that 90 year old FM fans should be here getting the MusiCares Award for being 90. I'm not sure what she took that night
Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The exact details are pretty muddy at this point (just about everything that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac is pretty muddy at this point).

Lindsey said at USC that Mick called him after meeting him unexpectedly at Sound City.
Lindsey met Mick when Mick was studio shopping at Sound City a couple of weeks before the big call. However, Mick’s 1990 account and Keith Olsen’s 2012 account of how Buckingham Nicks were offered the Fleetwood Mac job perfectly match up, which means that’s probably the way it actually happened.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Stevie is responsible for their success because Lindsey got a job offer and she told him to take it? By that logic I’m responsible for Jeff Bezos’ success. I said, “Why don’t you try selling books, man?” And lo, I made him what he is today.

If Lindsey did not have a girlfriend who pouted every time he did a gig without her (oh why am I stuck in Aspen), maybe he would’ve been inclined to go out on the road more and would have garnered even more opportunities, without the albatross around his neck.

That Lindsey, If Stevie had not listened to those albums front to back and back to front, he’d be a bum looking for handouts on the corner today.
Lindsey, given a choice, would rather have continued with Buckingham Nicks. That “pouty girlfriend” was also his musical partner for a project he strongly believed in. Lindsey didn’t want to go out on the road as a sideman, he wanted Buckingham Nicks to be a headlining act.

However, the reality is Buckingham Nicks was over the minute Mick Fleetwood called Keith Olsen. If Lindsey had refused, Stevie would have bolted on him, because the reality was Buckingham Nicks got dropped and didn’t have anything going for them, beyond a few cities in the Deep South, except for the offer from Fleetwood Mac. Stevie understood the equation and wanted to join the viable band because she was tired of being a waitress. It was the offer of a lifetime, even at that stage in the band’s history. Lindsey was still clinging to the dream, but that dream wasn’t going to come true, at least not the way he wanted.

Stevie, as half of the partnership, was the one saying that it was in their best interest to suspend the partnership and merge what they had been doing into Fleetwood Mac. So, while his guitar playing led to the phone call, she was the one who forced the issue.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If Lindsey had refused, Stevie would have bolted on him
Stevie does say they likely would've made it doing country rock or rockabilly if they didn't join FM.

I do agree Stevie would've bolted. I think she would've called Mick and offered to join with Waddy.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine was more enamored of their harmonies than Mick ever was. She might have loved their combined vocals on BN. I doubt he cared. Even to this day. He revels in the instruments. I don’t think he ever lays down half asleep, smiling with the memory of how good the harmonies sounded on Farmer’s Daughter.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The margarita night was later, not NYE, 1974.

On NYE, 1974, Fleetwood Mac had some type of get together/band meeting where Bob snapped at Christine, she told him to eff himself, and he announced he was leaving the band. After that, Mick called Keith Olsen and asked him if he thought Lindsey would join the band, Keith explained the equation, and Mick asked him to convince THEM to join. So, Keith went over to their place and spent all night trying to convince them (Lindsey) to join.

I don’t dispute the initial interest was in Lindsey, but within the span of a short phone call shortly after Bob quit, Stevie was part of the equation. Lindsey was never offered the Fleetwood Mac gig without Stevie. He was never actually in a position where he had to say “I won’t join without Stevie.”

The notion that he wouldn’t have joined without Stevie because he was noble or whatever is laughable. He wouldn’t have joined had Stevie not been there twisting his arm. Lindsey didn’t want to be in Peter Green’s old band. He didn’t want to play the old Fleetwood Mac songs. He had a chip on his shoulder that their music was going to get lost in Fleetwood Mac, that they were going to lose their identities within the band. And, by all accounts, he wasn’t easy to work with in the early years. Lindsey oozed resentment, which is something I doubt he’d disagree with.

Bob was playing with them up until mid-December, close to the time Mick went to Sound City. So Mick had only known of Lindsey for a couple of weeks at most, but wasn’t immediately thinking about augmenting the band with him or anything.
Lindsey was never offered the gig without Stevie because the people who were doing the asking were told that it would not be worth their time to offer him the FM gig if it didn't also include Stevie. Thus, to get him they said sure we're willing to ask both of them.

Had Olsen indicated that Lindsey would have been responsive to an offer for just him, that's the offer they would have made. Indeed that was the proposal Mick initially made to Keith. Keith was the one who first told Mick that to get what he wanted (LB) he needed to include SN.

So your comment is a red herring. They didn't ask him to join alone because before they could, or when they let it be known that is what they were interested in at the beginning, they were put off that by parties who knew him.

ETA: And Mick HAD heard the duo prior to wanting to ask LB to join. So he would have been aware of their harmonies and songwriting and all that. He still had planned to just ask LB to join until Keith Olsen advised him.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-28-2021 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-28-2021, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
ETA: And Mick HAD heard the duo prior to wanting to ask LB to join. So he would have been aware of their harmonies and songwriting and all that.
On the Rumours 35 Tour, Stevie would say before they'd perform Without You "This is the music Mick heard before he asked us to join Fleetwood Mac."
Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
ETA: And Mick HAD heard the duo prior to wanting to ask LB to join. So he would have been aware of their harmonies and songwriting and all that. He still had planned to just ask LB to join until Keith Olsen advised him.
I don’t know that Mick was aware it was Lindsey singing or that he wrote songs. Per Olsen, he wanted “the guitarist from that band.” So, Mick may have been clueless to what Lindsey’s role in that was beyond the guitar solo.

And, no, the fact he wasn’t asked by himself isn’t a red herring. It’s actually a relevant point if people are trying to paint him as a loyal, noble partner for demanding she be included when he was never in a position where he had to make the demand.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t know that Mick was aware it was Lindsey singing or that he wrote songs. Per Olsen, he wanted “the guitarist from that band.” So, Mick may have been clueless to what Lindsey’s role in that was beyond the guitar solo.

And, no, the fact he wasn’t asked by himself isn’t a red herring. It’s actually a relevant point if people are trying to paint him as a loyal, noble partner for demanding she be included when he was never in a position where he had to make the demand.
God, enough you’re giving me a headache, and I like you..
Old 01-28-2021, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick may have been clueless to what Lindsey’s role in that was beyond the guitar solo.
Is Lindsey only playing electric and nothing else in Frozen Love? I thought he was unplugged as well
Old 01-28-2021, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is Lindsey only playing electric and nothing else in Frozen Love? I thought he was unplugged as well
He probably played all the guitars on that by himself, but it was the solo that got Mick’s attention. He said in 1987 that it reminded him of Danny Kirwan.

Of course, Stevie changed that to Peter Green...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-28-2021, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

He was never put in a position to make the demand because people around him knew him well enough to know that if asked he WOULD do so. So they saved Mick the trouble by forewarning him... allowing Mick to consider whether he wanted Lindsey bad enough that he would take Stevie in order to get him. Clearly Mick decided he did want LB that much, and thus put through an offer to Lindsey designed to tip the balance towards Lindsey answering 'yes' ie, your girlfriend can come too.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Both.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that Waddy is credited with some guitar but I don't think that they specify which tracks he plays on and his brother did the cover that Stevie hated. Isn't there some slide guitar on a track? I haven't listen to it in ages but that would probably be Waddy contribution. I believe they were all friends around this time and Waddy was one of the ones sitting around getting high all day while Stevie was out "slaving" to make a living.