Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Ledgie

Default Then Play On - reconfigured

Hi all!

Swedish music lover here.
I first heard, and liked, Fleetwood Mac in 1968, when I was just 13 years old. Way back then I mainly listened to hits & singles. Shake Your Money Maker was a 7" here and caught my ear, followed of course by Albatross, Man Of The World, Oh Well and The Green Manalishi. Albums were more expensive, so it took some years to really start building a collection. The first FM album I got was the superb 1971 Greatest Hits - still a favourite!

Gradually I understood what I loved most about FM was the songs and feel of Peter Green - the melancholy and sadness touched me deep inside. And of course there was his guitar playing! By then he had left the group, and in those pre-internet days info was hard to find - rumours about him doing this or that was common. It was not till much later I began to know anything about him, really...

Iīve been lurking here for a while, gathering knowledge and info on the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, as well as the PG solo years.
This is my first post, inspired by the "Deluxe" CD release of the great They Play On.
Without a doubt Fleetwood Macīs best album for me! The two added superb singles makes it even better.
The guitar interplay between Green/Kirwan is sometimes unbelievable...

However, I really miss Man Of The World - it should be there!
No offence to Danny Kirwan fans, but I think When You Say and Although The Sun Is Shining are a bit too soft/lightweight.
So I replaced those two with Man Of The World, and rearranged the track order to make an album that is even stronger, I think.
It has a better flow and the first and last tracks are really in their perfect places for me.
What could possibly follow The Green Manalishi? Even Peter Green himself has said he was exhausted for two years after that one...

So here is the tracklist for my version:

1. Man Of The World
2. Show-Biz Blues
3. Coming Your Way
4. My Dream
5. Before The Beginning
6. Under Way
7. One Sunny Day
8. Without You
9. Rattlesnake Shake
10. Searching For Madge
11. Fighting For Madge
12. Like Crying
13. Closing My Eyes
14. Oh Well, Pt 1
15. Oh Well, Pt 2
16. World In Harmony
17. The Green Manalishi

Since thereīs no musicians credits on the album, I tried to make my own - partly built on info gathered from various posts here and partly from what Martin Celmins has written.

Peter Green - lead/rhythm/slide guitars, vocals, 6-string bass(5,13,14?,15?,17), percussion(13,14?,15), cello(15), dobro?(14, according to the liner notes, but I canīt hear it...)
Danny Kirwan - rhythm/lead guitars, vocals
John McVie - bass
Mick Fleetwood - drums, percussion
Jeremy Spencer - piano(15)
Sandra Elsdon - recorder(15)
unknown - piano(3)

It seems probable that Danny plays all guitars on My Dream, and that Peter plays all instruments on Closing My Eyes - also everything except piano/recorder on Oh Well Pt 2.

All comments/corrections etc. welcome!

Great site, btw...

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 09-22-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Old 09-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When You Say stinks. So no offense taken

But I do love "Although the Sun is Shining"; taken alongside the tougher, rougher numbers, this song is an intriguing left field choice.

No one has ever confirmed or denied that Christine Perfect plays the piano on "Coming Your Way," but it sounds like her subdued, block chord style.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Man Of The World

I do agree with your sentiment. I may be wrong, but i think that "Man Of The World" may be on their intermediate label before thy got to Warner Brothers and after leaving Blue Horizon. So it could not be included in either Blue Horizon Boxed set or the new releases.
It is in the music crack of the Universe
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Green plays 6 string bass on Rattlesnake Shake too. Kirwan probably plays all the guitars on his songs except Like Crying, Without You, and One Sunny Day. Not sure about Coming Your Way because the album version sounds different from the early version/live versions.

The dobro opens up Oh Well, it's the first guitar heard and I think a 6 string bass comes in next.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
No one has ever confirmed or denied that Christine Perfect plays the piano on "Coming Your Way," but it sounds like her subdued, block chord style.
I wouldnīt be surprised if itīs Christine...
Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
I do agree with your sentiment. I may be wrong, but i think that "Man Of The World" may be on their intermediate label before thy got to Warner Brothers and after leaving Blue Horizon. So it could not be included in either Blue Horizon Boxed set or the new releases.
Yes, Man Of The World was a one-off single,
but luckily weīre not restricted by any contracts when compiling these "best ofīs" or playlists!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Green plays 6 string bass on Rattlesnake Shake too. Kirwan probably plays all the guitars on his songs except Like Crying, Without You, and One Sunny Day. Not sure about Coming Your Way because the album version sounds different from the early version/live versions.

The dobro opens up Oh Well, it's the first guitar heard and I think a 6 string bass comes in next.
Thanks!

In another thread someone said Oh Well started with a (I think) a resonator guitar, which I donīt know what it is - perhaps some "dobro guitar"?

Danny may absolutely play all guitars on When You Say and Although The Sun Is Shinging (as well as My Dream), but those two are not on my above list.
I always assumed both Danny and Peter play on Coming Your Way, which is a great track!
If I had included outtakes, Dannyīs Like It This Way (from The Vaudeville Years) could have beeen a contender for my They Play On playlist.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
In another thread someone said Oh Well started with a (I think) a resonator guitar, which I donīt know what it is - perhaps some "dobro guitar"?
A Dobro is a well-known resonator guitar - National is another. This Wikipedia page has some of the basics: Resonator Guitar
Old 09-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
A Dobro is a well-known resonator guitar - National is another. This Wikipedia page has some of the basics: Resonator Guitar
Thank you!

Guess I was too lazy to search/check for myself...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think Green owned a National (or National style). There's a cool picture of him with a top hat playing it on the street. http://dodgyscribble.blogspot.com/20...lm-sweden.html