The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: which songs should NOT be included in the definitive list of songs from 1970-1974?
Earl Gray 8 72.73%
One Together 7 63.64%
Tell Me All the Things You Do 2 18.18%
Mission Bell 5 45.45%
Dragonfly 0 0%
The Purple Dancer 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Round 1 Nominations: Kiln House (Part 2)

This is the second poll for the Fleetwood Mac Song Contest (1970-1974), which is the second batch of songs from Kiln House era. This includes non-album songs Dragonfly and Purple Dancer.

***Reminder that you will vote for which songs should not be included in the definitive list of songs for this era.***

Poll closes in 4 days.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 11-02-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tough to choose this set.

"Earl Grey" probably is the least "definitive"

And, I guess "Mission Bell" since it's a cover.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy says in the part 1 thread that, save Mission Bell and One Together, he isn't happy with his stuff on the album. What!? I can't imagine not ever listening to Hi Ho Silver and Buddy's Song four times in a row.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Jeremy says in the part 1 thread that, save Mission Bell and One Together, he isn't happy with his stuff on the album. What!? I can't imagine not ever listening to Hi Ho Silver and Buddy's Song four times in a row.
Same. I love Hi Ho Silver and Buddy's Song quite a lot too.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Interesting. When Peter heard the rough mix of 'Buddy's Song', he said it was 'fantastic'! But there again, he and I shared a love for 50's music, and Buddy Holly in particular. Apparently, not everyone's taste, though! I was a bit disgruntled that I didn't sound enough like Buddy, I suppose. Although the original version was recorded by Bobby Vee, lyrics written by Ella Holley.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Neither can I! Those 2 are my favorites on the album.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Interesting. When Peter heard the rough mix of 'Buddy's Song', he said it was 'fantastic'! But there again, he and I shared a love for 50's music, and Buddy Holly in particular. Apparently, not everyone's taste, though! I was a bit disgruntled that I didn't sound enough like Buddy, I suppose. Although the original version was recorded by Bobby Vee, lyrics written by Ella Holley.
"Buddy's Song" IS "fantastic"!! The first time I played it for my wife (who is a HUGE Buddy Holly fan...to the point of being a little snobby about him: "Yeah, Beatles were good, but they would've been nothing if it hadn't been for Buddy!") she just grinned for hours afterwards! I feel bad I missed that poll, I might've been able to save it from exile.

There's really NOTHING on Kiln House that I DON'T like these days. (although "Earl Grey" has kind of dropped down the list a bit; although the first few years of owning the album, I played it over & over, trying to learn how to play it.) Pretty darned solid album from the beginning of "This Is The Rock" through the end of "Mission Bell".
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Ledgie

I missed round 1 but after viewing the results I was very surprised as for me the best songs are Jewel Eyed Jewel by far followed by Buddy's Song. On round 2 I think Earl Grey is a great little jam I voted "One Together".

Why is this only from Kiln House onwards in The Early Years section? If the early albums have been done before can some please post a link so I can see the results.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went for Earl Gray too, although I was tempted by Tell me all the things you do as well. I've always really liked One together and Mission Bell- it's part of the gentleness of Kiln House that acts as an antidote to the drama of Then Play On, if that makes any sense- Christine singing "Say you love me..." on MB always makes me smile. Purple Dancer is brilliant- I only wish the original B-side was available on CD/MP3- I have the version on the Madison Blues, but it lacks a certain oomph in one or two places. Did Jeremy and Danny ever share the lead on anything else that was released? I can't think of anything else. It's definitive by being unique- as the only official Danny/Jeremy/Chris/John/Mick release as well.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

There's really NOTHING on Kiln House that I DON'T like these days...
Amen to that. It, in many ways, is my favorite album in all of rock. No pretentiousness, no pompousness. Just a genuine, unaffected approach to music making. A good mix of the humble, the earnest, and the wry.

Nothing FM did before since has sounded like it.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBlues View Post
I missed round 1 but after viewing the results I was very surprised as for me the best songs are Jewel Eyed Jewel by far followed by Buddy's Song. On round 2 I think Earl Grey is a great little jam I voted "One Together".

Why is this only from Kiln House onwards in The Early Years section? If the early albums have been done before can some please post a link so I can see the results.
We are voting songs off the list of definitive songs for Round 1, so those two songs (both great songs at that ) are making the cut since they didn't reach the 50% required to be taken off.

As for your second question, there are quite a lot of "hits" and "best of" collections for the eras before Kiln House. The transition years (which is Kiln House to Heroes), seem to have fallen of the wayside. Hence it must be fixed. And in my personal opinion the Peter Green era requires a different set of polls.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So we all like/love Dragonfly? Nice!!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

with over 50% of votes, Earl Gray and One Together are eliminated from the list.

Closed Thread