Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
I love how most posters after you ignored the facts that you so aptly reminded us of. Yes, band members publicly expressed how sad they were about Petty, Prince or Frey. Keith Olsen was a huge producer behind the scenes but doesn’t have the same level of fame so nothing to cash out for those sad humans in FM there.
There is a difference that is not being mentioned beyond no one having active twitter accounts (except for maybe Lindsey).
When Petty died, the world got Stevie's thoughts and words because she was at events and people shoved a microphone in her face asking her about Petty. She was not on tour that she could make stage statements. This band just got home and on hiatus.
Petty was a huge star. Few people in the media even know who Keith Olsen is.
I am sure they care but deal with it in their own way.
Good grief, Mick's mom died while the band was on tour. Mick never mentioned it and neither did the band. Do we really think they did not care because they did not put out public statements? Society today seems to demand instant statements as well as want to cancel people for misstatements.

Chill everyone.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/...producer-dies/

R.I.P. Keith Olsen, Producer of Fleetwood Mac, Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions Albums Dies

Olsen famously introduced Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks to Mick Fleetwood

Keith Olsen, who produced notable albums by Fleetwood Mac, Scorpions, Ozzy Osbourne, Rick Springfield, and many more artists, has passed away. At this time, no cause of death has been revealed.

The news of Olsen’s passing was reported by Scorpions, who wrote on Facebook, “We just learned about the passing of our dear friend and producer Keith Olsen. Keith produced many iconic albums, including our album Crazy World.”

The veteran hard rock band added, “Keith was a wonderful guy, and the making of Crazy World was such an inspiring journey, containing outstanding songs like ‘Wind of Change’ and ‘Send Me an Angel,’ which had the Keith Olsen touch on every single note.”

Olsen, who was born in South Dakota, first made a name for himself as the bassist in the proto-punk garage band The Music Machine, who scored a hit in 1966 with the song “Talk Talk”. After the band broke up in 1969, he turned his attention toward production.

He proved to be a key figure in the career path of Fleetwood Mac. First he produced the 1973 album Buckingham Nicks, the self-titled effort from Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. After that, he introduced the pair to Mick Fleetwood, who brought them in as members of Fleetwood Mac, ushering in a new era of the band. Olsen then produced Fleetwood Mac’s 1975 self-titled effort, a seven-times platinum LP that contains such classics as “Rhiannon” and “Landslide”.

Olsen also made a name for himself in the world of hard rock. In addition to Scorpions’ Crazy World, he produced such albums as Whitesnake’s multiplatinum 1987 self-titled LP; Ozzy Osbourne’s No Rest for the Wicked; Foreigner’s Double Vision; Heart’s Passionworks; and countless others.

Rick Springfield also paid tribute to Olsen, crediting him with identifying his biggest hit early on in the recording process. “My amazing and talented friend Keith Olsen has passed away,” wrote Springfield on Facebook. “He didn’t produce all those hits for all those musicians for no reason. He had a golden ear and helped so many people reach their potential. I remember playing him my demos and he picked ‘Jessie’s Girl’ out of a batch of 15 songs and said, ‘This is a hit.’”

Olsen also produced some notable film soundtracks, including Flashdance and Footloose, and mixed the Top Gun soundtrack.

See Keith Olsen performing bass on “Talk Talk” with his band The Music Machine in the video below.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.loudersound.com/news/fle...ith-olsen-dead

Fleetwood Mac, Ozzy Osbourne and Scorpions producer Keith Olsen dead
By Scott Munro (Classic Rock) 2 days ago

Acclaimed producer who also worked with artists including Whitesnake, Heart, Foreigner and Emerson, Lake & Palmer has died

Acclaimed music producer Keith Olsen has died.

The news was confirmed by Scorpions, who worked with Olsen on their Crazy World album in 1990.

The band say: “We just learned about the passing of our dear friend and producer Keith Olsen. Keith produced many iconic albums, including our album Crazy World.

“Keith was a wonderful guy, and the making of Crazy World was such an inspiring journey, containing outstanding songs like Wind Of Change and Send Me An Angel, which had the Keith Olsen touch on every single note.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to his family. RIP Keith. You live on in the music."

Olsen was behind the desk for the 1973 Buckingham Nicks album which led to Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joining Fleetwood Mac. Olsen would go on to produce Fleetwood Mac’s second eponymous album in 1975.

He also worked with a range of other artists in the rock and metal world, including Ozzy Osbourne on No Rest For The Wicked, Whitesnake’s 1987 and Slip Of The Tongue, Heart’s Passionworks, Foreigner’s Double Vision, Magnum’s Goodnight LA, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's In The Hot Seat, and Sammy Hagar on his 1982 album Standing Hampton and its follow-up Three Lock Box.

Whitesnake’s David Coverdale paid tribute to Olsen on Twitter, saying simply: “Keith Olsen. RIP dear friend.”

Rick Springfield, who worked with Olsen on the hit single Jessie’s Girl in 1981, said: “My amazing and talented friend Keith Olsen has passed away. Such a gifted producer. And later on a wonderful guy. Ha, ha!

“He could be a bit of a pistol in the studio but that was part of his talent. Sticking to his guns when some whiny artist – me – would say, ‘I don’t think that works.’

“He didn't produce all those hits for all those musicians for no reason. He had a golden ear and helped so many people reach their potential. I remember playing him my demos and he picked Jessie’s Girl out of a batch of 15 songs and said, ‘This is a hit.’

“I doubted him and thought there were better songs in my demo reel. Proof right there of his gift. May God give your spirit the peace and joy and the rest it deserves. You were a star maker in so many ways. God bless your memory my friend.”

No cause of death has been revealed.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
There is a difference that is not being mentioned beyond no one having active twitter accounts (except for maybe Lindsey).
When Petty died, the world got Stevie's thoughts and words because she was at events and people shoved a microphone in her face asking her about Petty. She was not on tour that she could make stage statements. This band just got home and on hiatus.
I am sure they care but deal with it in their own way.
Good grief, Mick's mom died while the band was on tour. Mick never mentioned it and neither did the band. Do we really think they did not care because they did not put out public statements? Society today seems to demand instant statements as well as want to cancel people for misstatements.

Chill everyone.
Um, it wasn't the press putting up huge backdrops of Petty during an entire tour. Or telling stories about Prince on tour.

And clearly enough people knew who Keith was that there are articles about him in not just trade publications but popular music publications and websites. He helped make many, many bands hits. They all were able to take one minute out of their day to publicly acknowledge him.
And is that the criteria for acknowledging the death of people who played a critical role in making you a star? They have to be famous enough to be acknowledged??

Mick's mother wasn't in the business. Neither were Stevie's mom and dad. Yet she acknowledged their passing and included mentions of them in her shows. Keith produced Rhiannon and Landslide, and actually helped work on them for the planned second BN album. So yeah, it would seem fitting that she could make an Instagram or Twitter or website mention of his passing. (If she were on tour I'd expect her to say something about him before performing either one of those songs and thanking him)

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-12-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am very surprised no one in the band has mentioned Keith's passing. I would have thought Stevie or Lindsey would have said something. Keith produced Buckingham/Nicks and also The White Album. He was very important in their early start and them joining Fleetwood Mac.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 03-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gotta hand it to Ken Caillat: in both of his recent books, he adds a remembrance page and lists the Mac family who have died. I don’t think I’d have known otherwise that people such as Gabrielle Arras, Curry Grant, and Greg Thomason had died.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Um, it wasn't the press putting up huge backdrops of Petty during an entire tour. Or telling stories about Prince on tour.

And clearly enough people knew who Keith was that there are articles about him in not just trade publications but popular music publications and websites. He helped make many, many bands hits. They all were able to take one minute out of their day to publicly acknowledge him.
And is that the criteria for acknowledging the death of people who played a critical role in making you a star? They have to be famous enough to be acknowledged??

Mick's mother wasn't in the business. Neither were Stevie's mom and dad. Yet she acknowledged their passing and included mentions of them in her shows. Keith produced Rhiannon and Landslide, and actually helped work on them for the planned second BN album. So yeah, it would seem fitting that she could make an Instagram or Twitter or website mention of his passing. (If she were on tour I'd expect her to say something about him before performing either one of those songs and thanking him)
According to that logic, you have no right to criticize anyone in the Mac for not giving public statements. The next time they tour and if they give statements like Stevie did over a year after Prince's death from the stage and Petty tribute 2 years after Petty's death then we can call it even People are flaming them for not tweeting and giving instant public statements. That's different than stage tributes years later. Keith pretty much always spoke highly of the band. I don't need public statements to know they cared for Keith. But I guess some do.

This conversation sort of reminds me of the twitter batter between Perez Hilton and Kris Jenner the night that Kaitlyn came out. Perez freaked out and blasted Kris because she was the only person not publicly saying anything of support. Eventually Kris fired back a big F. U. Perez how she and her former husband had private words that the world did not need to hear. But yes she did support Kaitlyn.

This instant twitter world is destroying the world. We even had democrat candidates for president answer debate questions in 8th grade Spanish to please only the twitterverse. Whether Mick's mother was in the business or not is not the point. Mick did not feel the need to talk to the fans that night from the stage, tweet anything or put out statements. The point is the same. You should not have to constantly put out statements about your feelings on current events or other issues. If you want to, I respect that too but I surely am not going to flame anyone for it. I respect privacy.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-12-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
According to that logic, you have no right to criticize anyone in the Mac for not giving public statements. The next time they tour and if they give statements like Stevie did over a year after Prince's death from the stage and Petty tribute 2 years after Petty's death then we can call it even People are flaming them for not tweeting and giving instant public statements. That's different than stage tributes years later. Keith pretty much always spoke highly of the band. I don't need public statements to know they cared for Keith. But I guess some do.

This conversation sort of reminds me of the twitter batter between Perez Hilton and Kris Jenner the night that Kaitlyn came out. Perez freaked out and blasted Kris because she was the only person not publicly saying anything of support. Eventually Kris fired back a big F. U. Perez how she and her former husband had private words that the world did not need to hear. But yes she did support Kaitlyn.

This instant twitter world is destroying the world. We even had democrat candidates for president answer debate questions in 8th grade Spanish to please only the twitterverse. Whether Mick's mother was in the business or not is not the point. Mick did not feel the need to talk to the fans that night from the stage, tweet anything or put out statements. The point is the same. You should not have to constantly put out statements about your feelings on current events or other issues. If you want to, I respect that too but I surely am not going to flame anyone for it. I respect privacy.
It has nothing to do with social media. It has to do with having a modicum of class. Someone who was critical in your career and becoming a star dies, it is not unheard of now nor was it unheard of twenty years ago, to issue a short statement thru your management or PR or whomever saying "we were saddened to learn of the passing of Keith Olsen. Keith played an instrumental role in the early years of our music, producing the BN album and the first FM 5 album. We send our condolences to his family at this time". I mean jeebus that's actual boilerplate statement verbiage right there.

No one expects them to carry on for years (which SN did about Tom, which is sort of understandable, and about Prince which is just kinda weird). Again, Rick Springfield issued a nice statement, the Scorpions, and a bunch of other bands. It's respectful to his family who are justifiably proud of his accomplishments. Mick should say something like "I'll always be grateful to Keith for introducing me to Lindsey and Stevie" and either Stevie or Lindsey should say something about "Keith was pivotal in making our first ever album and our joining FM". Short, sweet, respectful. I'm disappointed in all of those three for saying nothing.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Gotta hand it to Ken Caillat: in both of his recent books, he adds a remembrance page and lists the Mac family who have died. I don’t think I’d have known otherwise that people such as Gabrielle Arras, Curry Grant, and Greg Thomason had died.
Curry Grant is dead? Does he know? Is he really gone?

He was tagged in a post 21 days ago. I mean, if I was dead, I'd probably like to know!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-12-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Old 03-12-2020, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;1256778]Curry Grant is dead? Does he know? Is he really gone?[/

Thanks, Homer.....
I’m watching a god awful news programme about the virus, and you made me smile...
Old 03-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=sue;1256780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Curry Grant is dead? Does he know? Is he really gone?[/

Thanks, Homer.....
I’m watching a god awful news programme about the virus, and you made me smile...
You're welcome. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk to go out and have a couple drinks at the neighborhood pub.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;1256781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post

You're welcome. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk to go out and have a couple drinks at the neighborhood pub.
You've been exposed to much worse.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
nice try at an excuse but no - band members had social media posts about Petty, Prince, Frey.

the fact that Keith Olsen was so hugely influential and significant for Fleetwood Mac but not nearly as well known is exactly the reason why they should publicly express and acknowledge him.

i don't care what they feel personally, we already know they are not nice people, but it was the right thing to do.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-12-2020, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
yes. he also posted about Keith Olsen on his social media.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes. he also posted about Keith Olsen on his social media.
I regularly "snooze" Ken. He's too obsessively ranting about politics, all too often.