Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default I can't believe I've been neglecting "Beautiful Child" all these years

what a great song! I would probably have to put it in my Top 15 Stevie songs, if not 10...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc1990 View Post
what a great song! I would probably have to put it in my Top 15 Stevie songs, if not 10...
I can't believe you've been neglecting it either!!! Beautiful Child is in my list of the most beautiful Fleetwood Mac songs along with Songbird, Dreamin' the Dream and Man of the World.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was hesitant to listen at first because I'm not a big fan of slow songs, but I am in love with it now! Definitely in my top 15 as well!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It starts too delicately for radio (a single edit would have been interesting) but the song is beautiful and it builds to quite a crescendo. I love the ending of the song, with Nicks in the background doing the "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while Lindsey/Christine sing "I'm not a child any more" and then "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" while they sing "old enough to reach for the stars".

I've heard that Warner Bros wanted to limit Tusk to a single album. I can't imagine which Nicks songs would have been cut, because all 5 of them are quite good.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post

I've heard that Warner Bros wanted to limit Tusk to a single album. I can't imagine which Nicks songs would have been cut, because all 5 of them are quite good.
There was a recession in 1979 and Fleetwood Mac had been Warner's cash cow for the last half decade.They were very afraid Tusk would not sell like Rumours but Fleetwood Mac had the clout to do as they pleased at that time.So we got five awesome Nicks songs on a masterpiece of a double album.For the record Stevie also commented that she did not want Tusk to be a double album back then.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

You've been neglecting Beautiful Child for years?

I oughta get Child Services on your ass.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
There was a recession in 1979 and Fleetwood Mac had been Warner's cash cow for the last half decade.They were very afraid Tusk would not sell like Rumours but Fleetwood Mac had the clout to do as they pleased at that time.So we got five awesome Nicks songs on a masterpiece of a double album.For the record Stevie also commented that she did not want Tusk to be a double album back then.
Do you have a source for this? I know that Nicks argued against Say You Will being a double album, but I've not seen where Nicks said anything about Tusk (other than that she hated the term "tusk").
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Beautiful Child is a stunning song with probably the best Buckingham Nicks harmony interplay ever recorded. It could have worked well in 79 as a concert staple if they had been in a 75 frame of mind. I think. The song just begs for a Stevie "Green Manalishi" live type ending, simply not possible in the Say You Will years.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Do you have a source for this? I know that Nicks argued against Say You Will being a double album, but I've not seen where Nicks said anything about Tusk (other than that she hated the term "tusk").
No, Stevie didn't argue against Tusk being a double album, the record company didn't want to put out a double album, but Fleetwood Mac was powerful enough to get what they wanted and hence the double album happened. That's what BombaySapphire3 was saying.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I do believe you cause I don't like that song. Storms is far better. Just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've always liked "Beautiful Child" from when I first heard it on "Tusk". Then the alternate version on the "25 Years" compilation came out and I completely flipped for it. I had felt it needed more percussion, that it was "missing something" despite the fact that I liked it, then I heard that version and knew I had gotten what I'd wanted all those years. I prefer to listen to the "25 Years" version over the "Tusk" version. (Just like Christine's "Brown Eyes"!!).
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really love this song...particularly at the end when she sorta contradicts herself. Like when she goes "I'm not a child anymore/I'm not a child I'm not/I'm tall enough to reach for the stars/I will do as I'm told/Even if I never hold you again/Too trusting yes but women usually are." I'm pretty sure that might have been the point...but either way this is a stunning song. And so sad it almost makes my heart break .
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Ledgie

Heart

I adore this song, I mean listen to it on repeat for hours kind of adoration...
The lyrical contradictions are intensely moving for me, I think they belie the high echelon of emotion and tender vulnerability in this song...
I'd love to hear Stevie talk about it or indeed perform it live once more... For some reason it has always resonated for me and had me craving the lines in 'after the glitter fades' the loneliness of a one night stand is hard to take...

Beautiful Child is my favourite Fleetwood Mac song AND Stevie Nicks song.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

I adore Beautiful child. It's always one of the tracks I immediately go for when I want to listen to some random Fleetwood Mac. Silver springs is another one that I will never, ever tire of.

http://fleetwood-thon.blogspot.com/

Or read my review of Stevie Nicks' new album:

http://jaysrandom-jay.blogspot.com/2...-nicks-cd.html
Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

I am ADDICTED to this version of Beautiful Child!! The instrumentation and vocal are superb.