Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everywhere
Old 08-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I would like to submit that if you don't love Stevie over the top, you don't really love Stevie
AMber

Whoa. That's taking it a little far.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Whoa. That's taking it a little far.
Sure, but Stevie IS over the top. That's her point. That's how her vocals have always been.
The more, the better, I say.
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
I would like to submit that if you don't love Stevie over the top, you don't really love Stevie
I agree partially. Often when she goes over-the-top I want to follow her, but there's times when it doesn't do it for me.
But that self-indulgence, communication directly from the psyche and the milking of the drama IS Stevie Nicks and 90% of her essence for me.
Quote:
And talk about reigning someone in, Lindsey perpetrated some on this record.
This is what I do not agree with. If "Seven Wonders" is so 'haggard' vocalwise for some then why would Lindsey have taken the necessary edge away?
How about "WTTR...S" or "WISYA"? I don't think anything's been hidden in these two either, why would people complain about the rasp in the latter then?
I personally think that if you feel "she was holding back" it has to do with the change in her voice that was happening at the time. The tone started approaching colder (you can hear it already in the TITN tour video) and a lot of its disturbing power suddenly disappeared. You still hear it on TITN, not so much later on, but of course it improved closer to my liking at one point.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
I agree partially. Often when she goes over-the-top I want to follow her, but there's times when it doesn't do it for me.
But that self-indulgence, communication directly from the psyche and the milking of the drama IS Stevie Nicks and 90% of her essence for me.

This is what I do not agree with. If "Seven Wonders" is so 'haggard' vocalwise for some then why would Lindsey have taken the necessary edge away?
How about "WTTR...S" or "WISYA"? I don't think anything's been hidden in these two either, why would people complain about the rasp in the latter then?
I personally think that if you feel "she was holding back" it has to do with the change in her voice that was happening at the time. The tone started approaching colder (you can hear it already in the TITN tour video) and a lot of its disturbing power suddenly disappeared. You still hear it on TITN, not so much later on, but of course it improved closer to my liking at one point.
I don't understand what you mean when you say you do not agree with me saying that Lindsey had some sucky songs on this album. I mean, I understand what YOU'RE saying, but not so much how it relates to Lindsey's songs. I basically agree with what you're saying about Stevie's tone.
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean when you say you do not agree with me saying that Lindsey had some sucky songs on this album. I mean, I understand what YOU'RE saying, but not so much how it relates to Lindsey's songs. I basically agree with what you're saying about Stevie's tone.
Oh, sorry Amber. I thought you meant that Lindsey was hiding the rawness of Stevie's voice through his production (which I think he's never done, check out TISL if you want to see it in action).
IMO, nothing by Lindsey sucks on this album, nothing by anyone sucks on this album. And I don't think Lindsey was trying to take Stevie over by having more songs in there. They just thought that some tracks weren't fit for the album and obviously were never totally satisfied with "Book Of Miracles" or "Joan Of Arc" (which should have been on the album instead of "WTTR...S"). [If someone wants to make a similar point for Tusk, Lindsey's nine tracks versus Stevie's five, then I should note that Stevie's songs take more running time than Lindsey's on the album.] Stevie didn't participate that much and that was because of the confusion in her life at that point.
Amber, let me just tell you, I may not always find your posts the easiest reading for me (must be our thought pattern differences or something) but you're still one of my favourite posters here. Public humiliation, I know.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Oh, sorry Amber. I thought you meant that Lindsey was hiding the rawness of Stevie's voice through his production (which I think he's never done, check out TISL if you want to see it in action).
IMO, nothing by Lindsey sucks on this album, nothing by anyone sucks on this album. And I don't think Lindsey was trying to take Stevie over by having more songs in there. They just thought that some tracks weren't fit for the album and obviously were never totally satisfied with "Book Of Miracles" or "Joan Of Arc" (which should have been on the album instead of "WTTR...S"). [If someone wants to make a similar point for Tusk, Lindsey's nine tracks versus Stevie's five, then I should note that Stevie's songs take more running time than Lindsey's on the album.] Stevie didn't participate that much and that was because of the confusion in her life at that point.
Amber, let me just tell you, I may not always find your posts the easiest reading for me (must be our thought pattern differences or something) but you're still one of my favourite posters here. Public humiliation, I know.

Not at all. Aren't we from different countries?
Yeah, I don't think Lindsey had too many tracks or anything. I have TISL, I like about 4 songs a lot, the rest, meh. I'm glad you like all the songs on Tango. I just really don't like a few by Lindsey. Family Man, This version of Big Love...You and I 2...They're ok, though. But I loooove Caroline. and I do like WTTRS and WISYA more than most poeple. But i fell in love with Stevie's voice quality at ages: 3 (GDW),then 8 (Stand Back), then 12 (Seven Wonders) without knowing who she was, what band she was with, or what she looked like. So I think I must especially love her voice quality
Actually, I've never really thought of the amount of songs each person has on the albums...Cause I generally like how everything turned out!
Much Love -
AMber

Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As usual, it comes down to this... Stevie often goes over the top, and Lindsey often goes over the top, and whose excesses you can forgive or justify easier, depends on which of the two you tend to prefer overall.
Even if you love both of them, there's always going to be a slight preference towards one more than the other.

'Tango' was the first Fleetwood Mac album I owned, and I was fascinated by the differing styles of each of the three leads. There were no "weak links" to me... each lyric, each vocal and each song, was an essential ingredient to what I felt (and still feel) was an amazing album.

Even the songs I've voted against, are favorites of mine. But since this is a "Survivor" game, you do have to vote for something, if you want to play along.

One can look back at it now... with 17 years' worth of hindsight... and see "excesses" and "haggard voices" and "over production"... but in 1987, it was absolutely brilliant to me.
Maybe it was because I didn't have any preconceived notions about what a Fleetwood Mac album "should" be, or any demands that I unreasonably expected them to live up to.
Even today, it stands as one of my favorite Mac albums.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But i fell in love with Stevie's voice quality at ages: 3 (GDW),then 8 (Stand Back), then 12 (Seven Wonders) without knowing who she was, what band she was with, or what she looked like. So I think I must especially love her voice quality
That's sort of what happened to me. When I heard "Talk To Me" on the radio in '85, I loved her voice and HAD to have her album.
'Rock A Little' sparked an intense desire in me, to hear everything she had ever released. So when I started going back through the older albums (with huge thanks to one of my aunts, who had most of them), I realized that I had already known and loved most of these songs. I even had memories associated with them! And, through it all, it had been Stevie's voice and songs that had always attracted my attention most.

So it was kind of kismet, I suppose, that she was to become my favorite singer/songwriter.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
One can look back at it now... with 17 years' worth of hindsight... and see "excesses" and "haggard voices" and "over production"... but in 1987, it was absolutely brilliant to me.
Maybe it was because I didn't have any preconceived notions about what a Fleetwood Mac album "should" be, or any demands that I unreasonably expected them to live up to.
Even today, it stands as one of my favorite Mac albums.
I became a Mac fan with Tango and even at seven years old, I did not like Stevie's songs. My favorites were Isn't It Midnight and Family Man, I was sooooooooooo fascinated by Family Man. I thought that Stevie just sounded "funny" on that album and never played her songs. Eventually, I had all of the Mac and solo albums and I loved her, but never her Tango material.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I became a Mac fan with Tango and even at seven years old.... I was sooooooooooo fascinated by Family Man.
Well, THAT explains a lot!
Old 08-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Well, THAT explains a lot!
Hey, Popeye with Robin Williams was one of my favorite movies at the time!

Old 08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Caroline better than Everywhere? Not in my world...

Caroline

Romy
Old 08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I became a Mac fan with Tango and even at seven years old, I did not like Stevie's songs. Eventually, I had all of the Mac and solo albums and I loved her, but never her Tango material.
By the way, that says a lot, no?
First impressions DO count for something, and one doesn't usually fall in love with something they initially disliked/hated (well, ok, except maybe in the case of David & Maddy on 'Moonlighting,' but I'm not at all sure that that counts).

Old 08-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, Popeye with Robin Williams was one of my favorite movies at the time!
NOW we're getting somewhere!

(I actually liked that movie, too. "Go to sleep, sweet, sweet-pea....")