User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I disagree. Gypsy and Hold Me were being played all over & sounded nothing like Tusk.
Mirage was #1 briefly, according to Mick, because the band stopped the tour too soon.

- Jake
You don't think that they alienated a lot of fans with the Tusk album who didn't buy Mirage as a result?

Old 08-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
You make a great couple. Blowhard & Blowhole.

- Jake

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoa!!!!!!
What did I miss?!?!?!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
We've had this argument tons of times, too. No one has ever stated that Stevie's popularity hadn't diminished.
What is conveniently ignored, however, is that she was still... with absolutely no offense meant to the rest of the band or their talents... the biggest "name" and "star-draw" in that band. Even in the late '80s. And up to the time she quit Fleetwood Mac.
She reeled 'em in at her solo concerts the first few years. You always know whether an act is hip or not if the area's biggest radio stations trumpet the upcoming concert(s), & in L.A. KLOS & KMET used to trumpet Stevie's solo shows up the yingus. There was an electricity in the air during the weeks preceding a Stevie Nicks concert -- as there was with Fleetwood Mac. It was a great, great feeling. But that all diminished by the time of her [counts] fourth solo album.

And not a moment too soon!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
When did it get to #1 the second time? I don't think they got to Europe until May '88. They were supposed to get there earlier in the year, but Stevie was sick so they postponed the European tour.

Did Behind the Muck hit #1 in Europe at all? How well did it do in these United States? Let's face it: 1987/88 was the cusp of the tip of just about the end of it for Fleetwood Mac as a monster-seller.

Except for the reunion album . . . I keep forgetting that one. So are they done for or aren't they? YOU decide. . . .
I can't remember an exact date for the second time 'Tango' hit number 1 in England. I do know that it was at the time of their tour in Europe, and their sold-out run at Wembley.
1988 would be right then (I kept saying '87, didn't I?).

And yes, 'Behind The Mask' did hit #1 in Europe, but it peaked at #18 here in the states.

87/88 was most definitely FM's last, great period of monster sales... aside from 'The Dance,' of course.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
That must be why the other two had the hit singles, eh?
Again, in the context of the band. Stevie's solo career brought fans to this band - a fact you refuse to admit. What they liked when they heard the album is a different debate. And Seven Wonders did chart, and I know plenty of casual fans who remember Seven Wonders but not Big Love. The only songs really that seem to be played on the radio are Little Lies and Everywhere.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You don't think that they alienated a lot of fans with the Tusk album who didn't buy Mirage as a result?
I really don't. Stevie was huge solo & the band was still high profile enough to get its songs out there. Anybody turning on the radio knew it wasn't Tusk.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Meaning you believe there are songs in which the instrumentation power the vocals!?

I think Tango is better produced than SYW. I like a lot of the SYW songs better than Tango, but the production in comparison is uneven. Tango has a uniformity of sound and production from song to song. With SYW, I've found myself EQing it between songs.
To answer your question, Come & No Questions Asked come to mind.

I agree that Tango has a greater uniformity of sound, but I don't love the sound on most of the songs.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember hearing Hold Me on KMET & being ridiculously excited about the upcoming release of Mirage. I thought they were singing "haunt me." I bought the 45 (with Eyes of the World on the back) & played it all the time (on something called a record-player). But you're right -- there was a sense of hesitation in the air; it wasn't an all-out Fleetwood Mac juggernaut, reconquering the world. It was nothing like the hoopla that preceded the release of Tusk (when even the nightly news broadcasts reported it). Fleetwood Mac's days as the biggest mainstream band in the world were already over . . . you could tell.

In 1979, it was a pop culture Event. In 1982, it was just "the next Fleetwood Mac album."
Old 08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No Questions Asked is, technically speaking, a mess.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
She reeled 'em in at her solo concerts the first few years. You always know whether an act is hip or not if the area's biggest radio stations trumpet the upcoming concert(s), & in L.A. KLOS & KMET used to trumpet Stevie's solo shows up the yingus. There was an electricity in the air during the weeks preceding a Stevie Nicks concert -- as there was with Fleetwood Mac. It was a great, great feeling. But that all diminished by the time of her [counts] fourth solo album.

And not a moment too soon!
I agree except for that last line.
In Philly Stevie used to appear on a radio commercial, and I remember for RAL all the "Lady Lace" promotions. I missed that tour but it seems there were ads every two minutes & it was all the talk.

- Jake
Old 08-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just a litle off topic here but...

How much you wanna bet we surpass Rumours Song Survivor on post? Were only on rond 3 and with over 215 Post and In the whole game of Rumours we had 455. Hummm...?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you were including non-Tango songs in the discussion. No Questions Asked wasn't produced by Lindsey. And Come is produced with buried vocals deliberately.

Quote:
I agree that Tango has a greater uniformity of sound, but I don't love the sound on most of the songs.

- Jake
Fair enough. You don't love it, but it doesn't mean the album isn't extremely well produced.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Again, in the context of the band. Stevie's solo career brought fans to this band - a fact you refuse to admit. What they liked when they heard the album is a different debate. And Seven Wonders did chart, and I know plenty of casual fans who remember Seven Wonders but not Big Love. The only songs really that seem to be played on the radio are Little Lies and Everywhere.

- Jake
I never refused to admit that, the topic never came up. Go read one of my initial posts about this topic in this thread. I said that Stevie's presence had an impact on the sales, but not nearly as great of an impact as Lindsey's and Chris's songs did.

I also never said Seven Wonders didn't chart. It did, at #19, to be exact. And it didn't last as long on the charts as the others.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really don't. Stevie was huge solo & the band was still high profile enough to get its songs out there. Anybody turning on the radio knew it wasn't Tusk.

- Jake
Fleetwood Mac in 1977: The highest selling album of all-time.

Fleetwood Mac in 1979: Follow-up album flopped critically and commercially, even though it was expected to be an event of mythic proportions. Ticket sales for the tour lagged.

Fleetwood Mac in 1982: They're coming out with an album? I hope it's nothing like that last one.

See the difference? They weren't the band they used to be and their upcoming release wasn't regarded as such an event. It was just...coming soon.