Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 3 little treasures I digged out

After reading the "Law and order" thread on the Lindsey forum I was digging out some older CD`s that I haven't been playing for a longer time and like to know other opinions about three of them that I like very much.
Right now I`m listening to
1) Kate Bush- The sensual world (it's my favourite album of hers. It wasn't that succesful in relation to Hounds of love and didn`t even have a huge single here in Germany but it hasn`t lost anything of its beauty over the years
Now the Trio Bulgarka idea wasn`t completely new, some artists were doing stuff like that before or at the same time, but I liked the approach and the sound. My highlight of the moment are "Love and anger" and "Never be mine". The lyrics to "Head's we're dancing" are probably a little strange but well...
And boy what a beauty Kate is... It`s a pity that Kate is the secret wife of Lindsey Buckingham which leads to an output of one album each decade... I am waiting on the next album which is due somewhen this year as I have heard.
Here are the other two
2) Lou Reed- New York -I think it's a great concept album and definitely my favourite Lou Reed LP. When I read some reviews/comments later regarding his career I went mad when I heard default judgements like "He never was good again after Velvet Underground and so on" It's just the same as with FM- people hanging on to the past and their memories not open to new directions and new ideas. Without "New York" I never would have gotten a fan of Lou, Velvet or not... Well, I saw him tour for that and he really played every song of that one except "Good evening Mr Waldheim". After that there was a little break and the second 80 minutes or so he played stuff from the predecessor album and then also from the seventies and eighties. Great, I`d like FM to do that too. No not to play every song of a Lou Reed album but from their own latest own work...
3) Keith Richards- Talk is cheap- Now that may sound a little odd but I prefer Keith's voice over Micks. Yes I know he cannot really sing. Nor can Lou Reed. But Keith has a unique voice and I really like the entire album. The sound's just cool and the songs were very well written with a very fitting running order. "Make no mistake" is my highlight here but I don't see any clunker on the album. I think the follow up "Main offender" contains some good material also but TIC as a whole is just more coherent. One of my all time favourites. It's a shame that Keith never released the third album he had been contracted to... He was working on a Reggae album (now that wouldn't have been my first choice...) but somehow the project got cancelled and he never showed up with a new one...

Now any opinions concerning these albums?

Last edited by stefan; 04-20-2004 at 03:13 PM..