User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo
And I saw that 'Survivor' episode of CYW recently, too. Does that make me evil? I feel all guilty now. LD's humour is always a guilty pleasure I find.
I'm not following. Clarify, please.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadegypsy
Jake: good for not having the kids read "Night" is is a bit much even in 9th grade, when I read it. I did see Schindlers List though in school, a good movie, one that I am glad I saw, but will not likely watch again for many more years. I remember my 10th grade history teacher passed around picture of the people experiments done on holocaust victims, those gave me nightmares for a few weeks, not something I ever needed to see in life. BTW great quote.
One of my favorite films on the subject is Playing For Time, the one that was aqdapted from the play & got all the controversy about the casting of Vanessa Redgrave back in the day.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommer
i'm afraid Rwanda's case showed us that no lesson has been learned.
True. In fact, the survivor I heard speak on Tuesday stressed this theme.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I have the opportunity to study there or at Yad Vashem this summer, but I'm still deciding.

- Jake
Wow...that's a very nice opportunity. What exactly would you be doing and how long would you go for? I say go for it if you can
Old 04-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie
Wow...that's a very nice opportunity. What exactly would you be doing and how long would you go for? I say go for it if you can
The Israel one would be three weeks, the Washington one would be less. Both programs are for educators who qualify.
I did a Holocaust thing last summer and I really need time off from work, so I'm probably going to wait a year.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not following. Clarify, please.
Whoops - CYE (Curb Your Enthusiasm), not CYW (Curb Your ..Windows?). Larry David's show. I thought it was really big in the US, whereas nobody here knows of its existence.
Anyway there was an episode - I think #8 or 9 in the 4th and most recent season - and it was called 'The Survivor', and, well.. in typical LD style it was viciously funny. he even made a 9/11 joke. Who could make a joke out of that subject matter?! Somehow he does. Actually isn't 'Life is Beautiful' a comedy too?

Interestingly I was just reading a review of the Tampa production of The Producers. I guess that Mel Brooks is of the same mindset about getting a laugh from taboos. Here was a great quote from the review:

"This show slaughters every sacred cow you can think of, and the beef never tasted so good. "
Old 04-21-2004, 02:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"This show slaughters every sacred cow you can think of, and the beef never tasted so good. "
Sorry, I don't eat red meat.
The best thing about Mel Brookas is Anne Bancroft.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The Israel one would be three weeks, the Washington one would be less. Both programs are for educators who qualify.
I did a Holocaust thing last summer and I really need time off from work, so I'm probably going to wait a year.
- Jake
do let me know if you really get there, and wouldn't mind meeting moi...
i do think tho, that if you really wanna study the subject, you oughta go to poland. while a week there, i learned more than any of the classes i attended, every survivor's story i listened to, and every museum.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommer
do let me know if you really get there, and wouldn't mind meeting moi...
i do think tho, that if you really wanna study the subject, you oughta go to poland. while a week there, i learned more than any of the classes i attended, every survivor's story i listened to, and every museum.
I don't think I could visit the camps on my own with a new group. I would need familiar people with me for that.

- Jake
Old 04-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam. Talk about a vibey place. I was moved to tears, as were many others. I bought the latest edition of Anne Frank's diary...it has extra stuff that wasn't included in the original printing.

My great-grand parents managed to escape all that. A family that my family grew up with, the Grandma had a concentration camp tattoo. That used to always freak me out when I was little.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The best thing about Mel Brookas is Anne Bancroft.
Yes - she was in the season finale which I watched last night.

Anne Frank ... I guess I might visit that place one day (can you actually walk right into the hiding space?) but the story alone gets to me.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes - she was in the season finale which I watched last night.

Anne Frank ... I guess I might visit that place one day (can you actually walk right into the hiding space?) but the story alone gets to me.
Yes, you can walk through the entire house, including behind the book case. The only place you can't go is the very top floor, the ladder is only like 12" wide. It's very well done, with original artifacts remaining, and short film presentations throughout. They interviewed Miep, she talks about each room. It's truly chilling. I've never felt anything like that...I was there on Thanksgiving Day - which took on an entirely different meaning for me. I think I still have their website bookmarked...yeah, here ya go:

Anne Frank Haus

Last edited by Livia; 04-22-2004 at 09:37 AM..
Old 04-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
Yes, you can walk through the entire house, including behind the book case. The only place you can't go is the very top floor, the ladder is only like 12" wide. It's very well done, with original artifacts remaining, and short film presentations throughout. They interviewed Miep, she talks about each room. It's truly chilling. I've never felt anything like that...I was there on Thanksgiving Day - which took on an entirely different meaning for me. I think I still have their website bookmarked...yeah, here ya go:

Anne Frank Haus
And isn't Shelley Winters's Oscar there?

I've never been there, but every time I see the last five minutes of the movie or play I just about lose it.

- Jake