User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
The two best songs are undoubtedly "Carnival Begin" and "On With The Show". I actually don't like any of the remaining 8 tracks so overall, the album is a disappointment for me. Stevie's absence looms large.
Not even In My WorldYou described it as brilliant when it was released.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Not even In My WorldYou described it as brilliant when it was released.
It's true that when I first heard "In My World", I thought it was pretty good but I think my initial impressions were informed by anticipation and excitement. After subsequent listens, it began to bore me and to be honest, I haven't listened to it since. I think the first four songs released are all extremely average to bad and of the remaining 6 tracks, only "Carnival Begin" and "On With The Show" stand out to me as solid, enduring songs. There are flourishes of competence throughout the album but that isn't exactly inspiring. I do firmly believe that Stevie could have added to proceedings in a truly meaningful way and that frustrates me beyond belief. Of course, that is entirely down to her - the rest of the band (and let's make no bones about it, this is a Mac album) more than extended the olive branch - but I remain puzzled by her attitude (which is in contrast to so much of what she has stated over the years about remaining loyal to the band).
Anyway, horses for courses - I'm glad fans are enjoying the Buckingham McVie album but it essentially has left me cold.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not one bad song. Just listened for the first time at full quality on headphones and we are truly blessed to get this gift. So great! In my world is growing on me every day and now consider it one of the best. It was our anticipation of whT it was going to be that ruined the initial response to that song. Listen to it from the cd at full quality and WOW!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart I love/hate lists!

Always difficult to rank music, but I like doing it anyway.

1. In My World (Loved it the second I heard it. I love the shakers, that wierd knocking on glass noise and especially the melodies. It's such a pretty melody and makes my heart soar to hear it. The bridge with LB's humming and Mick's drums....OH LORD....I can't love that enough. )
2. Carnival Begin (This is Christine's I'm So Afraid, so I loved it right off the bat! Love the lyrics and that sitar-y Middle Eastern feel. One of her best EVER. They don't play this in concert...I AM RIOTING. That solo needs to tear our HEADS OFF.)
3. Love is Here to Stay (This song is breaking my heart right now. It's pretty and love the guitar, regardless, but losing my mom is making this song hit me HARD.)
4. Feel About You (This one grew on me. Such a throwback! I enjoy the lightness of it. Makes me wanna clap along.)
5. Too Far Gone (Good collab between them, such a rockin' song!!)
6. On With The Show (Reminds me of Steal Your Heart Away. Like the strings! Such a country feel to it too.)
7. Red Sun (GUITAR. YAS! Love the chorus' melody.)
8. Lay Down for Free (Nice little ditty and LB's natural voice.)
9. Sleeping Around The Corner (Never was a fave, still not, but it's a funky head-bopper. Good opener.)
10. Game Of Pretend (Such a Tusk-like song. Eh, it's ok, pleasant enough.)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It's true that when I first heard "In My World", I thought it was pretty good but I think my initial impressions were informed by anticipation and excitement. After subsequent listens, it began to bore me and to be honest, I haven't listened to it since. I think the first four songs released are all extremely average to bad and of the remaining 6 tracks, only "Carnival Begin" and "On With The Show" stand out to me as solid, enduring songs. There are flourishes of competence throughout the album but that isn't exactly inspiring. I do firmly believe that Stevie could have added to proceedings in a truly meaningful way and that frustrates me beyond belief. Of course, that is entirely down to her - the rest of the band (and let's make no bones about it, this is a Mac album) more than extended the olive branch - but I remain puzzled by her attitude (which is in contrast to so much of what she has stated over the years about remaining loyal to the band).
Anyway, horses for courses - I'm glad fans are enjoying the Buckingham McVie album but it essentially has left me cold.
Fleetwood Mac has not made a great album since the 1970s and Tusk was the sound of that band's potent but short lived alchemy splintering .Since then we have had flashes of the old magic but never enough to sustain an entire album .Even this one has a few so I'll enjoy it for what it is .

Old 06-10-2017, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

First impression of the album as a whole.....I really like it musically (Mick and John sound GREAT!), but, even more so than SAY YOU WILL, this is just two solo albums mashed together!
Where's an actual duet or two? Some killer point/counter point harmonies?? I really like it, but I think they could have done A LOT more with it!
(And, yeah, I couldn't help but think what Stevie could have added throughout my entire first listen!).
Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you in that as much as I LOVE the album, they missed some opportunities to properly duet. Songs like Too far Gone (should have been a back and forth vocal like World Turning) are examples of songs screaming for it. You can hear Lindsey on TFG but they didn't go far enough. I know a lot of his songs were "in the can" but he still could have gone back and taken off a couple of his voices and added Chris.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Fleetwood Mac has not made a great album since the 1970s and Tusk was the sound of that band's potent but short lived alchemy splintering .Since then we have had flashes of the old magic but never enough to sustain an entire album .Even this one has a few so I'll enjoy it for what it is .
Wow, I couldn't disagree more, I think Tusk is their magnum opus as a band, the best thing they ever created. And while Mirage and Tango weren't masterpieces I still think they're great albums.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm currently listening for the first time and I'm really suprised how much I like the general feel of the album. It's just really nice to listen to. I generally like uptempo songs alot more than slow songs and feel that they did very well with the flow.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its too early for me to officially rank the songs. Its a great album but not as good as Say You Will IMHO (but its still way too early for me to say that). I just love hearing Christine sing more than Lindsey or Stevie
I love all the songs except Love is hear to stay and Game of Pretend. I love to hear Christine play piano and I wanted to fall in love with the song immediately but it never hooked me in. But that could change too.
Sleeping around the corner and Feel about you are so catchy. While not my favorites of the album they stay in my head. That keyboard groove/hook on Feel about you is so catchy.
Just so refreshing to hear new music. I do miss not hearing Stevie on back up vocals or at least 2 of her songs on the album could have made it better.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-10-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay now:
Sleeping around the corner: Good energy, good song, I like it very much.
Feel about you: I love it! English is not my first language though, makes it easy to ignore the lyrics.
In my world: Grew on me, I like it now
Red Sun: I love it, it's groovy and fun
Love is here to stay: Not my cup of tea at all, but that is only fair.
Too far gone: My favorite so far, the drums are so much fun
Lay down for free: Good enough, a little slow, but Lindsey not being hectic is such a nice change and on this track It's really prominent how he has changed (you know, in cycles).
Game of pretend: I'm a diabetic now, so much sugar. Not my favorite.
On with the show: Awww, he will stand with his band, that's lovely. I like this one alot.
Carneval begin: Just great!!!!

To me, this whole album sounds like Tango, just not so overproduced and tense, more mellow and consistent. Sounds kinda like this was supposed to be sent to Stevie, only her 3 contributions are not there to make it a 5-fireflies-album. But i don't really miss her presence here, it's still a good FM album to me. It's far more wholesome than SYW. It really feels through all of it that everyone who contributed to this one had a good time, and that's important, a nice change and makes this album special.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 06-10-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Wow, I couldn't disagree more, I think Tusk is their magnum opus as a band, the best thing they ever created. And while Mirage and Tango weren't masterpieces I still think they're great albums.
You're misunderstanding my post.Tusk is indeed their last masterpiece and is my favorite album of all time by anyone.After that their chemistry was never the same for various reasons.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
First impression of the album as a whole.....I really like it musically (Mick and John sound GREAT!), but, even more so than SAY YOU WILL, this is just two solo albums mashed together!
Where's an actual duet or two? Some killer point/counter point harmonies?? I really like it, but I think they could have done A LOT more with it!
(And, yeah, I couldn't help but think what Stevie could have added throughout my entire first listen!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I agree with you in that as much as I LOVE the album, they missed some opportunities to properly duet. Songs like Too far Gone (should have been a back and forth vocal like World Turning) are examples of songs screaming for it. You can hear Lindsey on TFG but they didn't go far enough. I know a lot of his songs were "in the can" but he still could have gone back and taken off a couple of his voices and added Chris.

Yes! The promo video of the "making of" certainly creates the impression that there was a collaborative process going on....but was it, like SYW, him working on the other person's songs "collaboratively" while he'd already done most if not all of his on his own prior to that??
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still digesting and processing this, so I can't offer a ranking at this point. I will say that the album flows very well, and most of the songs work in the context of the album.

"Carnival Begin" is easily Christine's best song here, and closes the album perfectly. I was almost tearing up by the end. I like "Red Sun" quite a bit too; it's got a nice breezy 70s feel. Lindsey's best cuts are "On With the Show" (great vocal and I agree with Christy....reminds me of "Steal Your Heart Away") and "Love is Here to Stay" (gorgeous picking!!!!). I also really like their collaboration on "Too Far Gone"...and those drums!

Christine's singing is nice on "Game of Pretend," but the song is underwhelming and too saccharine overall. Probably my least favorite on the album.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I've been driving around all weekend with the CD in the car.
Really love it.
Red Sun has a fantastic chorus to sing along with.
Too Far Gone is amazing.... the drums are out of this world and so Mick
Carnival Begin - mystical and easily could have been a track on In the meantime right before or after Bad Journey
Sleeping around the corner - a great pop song. Should have been the first single
In my world - definitely growing on me... great lyrics especially in today's bizzare world