User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its sad that the most common thing googled in the UK today was "What did we just do? and What is the European Union?" Markets tanked around the world with the average US IRA tanking 15% or more. I lost 25k in my IRA. The instability will continue for years.
Rewinding time, I would not have wanted to join the European Union. I am conservative. But I definitely would not have voted to leave (if that makes sense). Conservatively speaking the UK will lose 1% GNP each year. Great Britian will survive. Its a strong country full of brilliant people. But Britian is not the powerhouse it once was prior to the European Union. For example, Germany would do much better leaving if anyone was to leave.
Nationalism is growing world wide. The IRA's tanked in the USA today but that is nothing compared to when Trump will start a trade war with China. We will lose another 30% then. China finances the debt of the United States and Trump wants to start a trade war with China. Last week Trump was on Fox Business and asked about the Brexit vote. He stated he did not know enough to comment. Today he wants to sound like an expert.
You don't burn down Rome to build it up and make it stronger. Sadly that is what many want to do. We all respect the voters of the UK but don't google the consequences of the vote the next day. That should be done prior to voting.
Reminds me of the UK newspapers in 2004 when Americans re-elected George Bush with a 51% to 49% margin "How could so many Americans be so dumb"
The shoe is on the other foot today.
I'm not sure if it was the first or the second mandate but Bush won because he asked for a re-count, and in the US the vote result is different based on how you count it because not every vote has the same worth.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately had a falling out with my mum on the phone tonight...

over the last couple of years she's been banging on about UKIP.
She lives in Blackwood in South Wales (near Caerphilly). The whole of that region has undergone huge regeneration over recent years. In fact, Blackwood and some of the surrounding valley towns are completely unrecognisable from what they were ten or fifteen years ago. This is mostly due to EU grants. And yet, the majority of Wales (including that specific region by about 58% to 42%) have voted to leave the EU. Crazy!

Just today while on holiday she and her partner completed on a holiday home in the South of Spain.
'How the hell can you justify voting for independence whilst at the same time buying property in an EU country?'

Furthermore,
'mum, though we don't know exactly how things will pan out, there's a chance that within a couple of years you might not even be able to live in your house in Spain now that we aren't part of the EU'

Crazy. It does annoy me that insular older people have had a huge impact on our country whilst being largely ignorant of what and why they are voting for.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Alarmed Britons ask pollsters...Why did you not warn us?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...v7Z?li=BBnb7Kz
Old 06-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

She lives in Blackwood in South Wales (near Caerphilly). The whole of that region has undergone huge regeneration over recent years. In fact, Blackwood and some of the surrounding valley towns are completely unrecognisable from what they were ten or fifteen years ago. This is mostly due to EU grants. And yet, the majority of Wales (including that specific region by about 58% to 42%) have voted to leave the EU. Crazy!

Just today while on holiday she and her partner completed on a holiday home in the South of Spain.
'How the hell can you justify voting for independence whilst at the same time buying property in an EU country?'

Furthermore,
'mum, though we don't know exactly how things will pan out, there's a chance that within a couple of years you might not even be able to live in your house in Spain now that we aren't part of the EU'

Crazy. It does annoy me that insular older people have had a huge impact on our country whilst being largely ignorant of what and why they are voting for.
My mother is conservative/racist too. I bickered with her just the other day because of that.
But what's worse is that usually young people are even more racist and conservative that elders. Most of my peers just like to say that we don't have jobs because immigrants stole them from us, but they don't want to recognize that those immigrants do all the humble jobs that they wouldn't ever do even overpayed.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
My mother is conservative/racist too. I bickered with her just the other day because of that.
But what's worse is that usually young people are even more racist and conservative that elders. Most of my peers just like to say that we don't have jobs because immigrants stole them from us, but they don't want to recognize that those immigrants do all the humble jobs that they wouldn't ever do even overpayed.
it's the same here they scream about the jobs , maids , gardeners , dishwashers , cleaners in offices after hours , dirty work and fast food jobs no American wants or can do

Few Americans take immigrants' jobs in Alabama
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/few-amer...bs-in-alabama/
Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just watching the evening news and the usual 'typical members of the public talking heads' they bring out...
'...our country is just sinking with all the immigrants'.
I just want to scream. What the 'uck are you talking about- sinking with immigrants? no it isn't. That's just a stock phrase that means nothing.
In part due to immigrants our economy is presently booming.
Aaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You ignorant @*^K's
Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

According to the various voter data it seems;

More educated/affluent/young = Remain
Less educated/poorer/old = Leave
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, but I know a lot of educated idiots, fellow university students who at the last referendum forfeited to vote because it was more "democratic" to express dissent by not even going to vote. Studying doesn't mean getting educated sadly. More often is just sticking head in books memorizing rudiments like a parrot while not knowing anything of the world.
Yes.I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Poorly Educated follow blindly as long as you pander to them

trump calls his followers Poorly Educated i fear the election in November
Don't worry.Hillary will get in as shenanigans will work her way.

Maybe the demi voters he is referring too since I've been watching more of his speeches and have not heard him saying that..True and false.Putting up with the disinformation the sided press is putting out can screw peoples minds up.the same with the brexit vote .The crap the media dishes out and it could influence the vote.

Quote:
Are you espousing the future break-up of the United States of America, then Mrs Palin?
Palin has the looks but shes airhead like I always said.Too bad the late shows cant use blonde jokes against her.

Quote:
I just hope Katie Couric will interview Donald Trump as well.
Couric is an idiot like the rest of the establishment left media power houses.Just look at the hack editing job on her gun report last month.Her guests had something to say but her staff edit out what they had to say and the final cut was to have them just steer at her after the questions were asked.

Maybe she should get fired like Brian Williams .What he did was not bad compared to these politicians like Hillary lying 24/7 on the news .

Quote:
lets hope there is an adult who can fix this .

america is already doomed
Trump or the 3 party can but not crooked Hillary can.Speaking of doomed .She will bring us down to zero.

Quote:
it's the same here they scream about the jobs , maids , gardeners , dishwashers , cleaners in offices after hours , dirty work and fast food jobs no American wants or can do

Few Americans take immigrants' jobs in Alabama
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/few-amer...bs-in-alabama/

I agree on that.Also add farm work too.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
As a member of the 1 % I'm sure you and the rest of rich white America will be ok under a trump presidency .
You mean people like Oprah, Beyonce, and P Diddy make less than 450,000/year?

Quote:
the rest of us 99er's will not .*snip*
I'm in the bottom 37% at $40,000 but, unlike you, I don't have any class envy.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sort of puzzled by the stat that older people went more for the leave option wanting things to 'go back to how they were'? The good old days? Of when? The '60s maybe, because the '70s were awash in power outages and work stoppages. I tend to feel the same about someone making America great again, that you can't go backward really, and when exactly was this golden era anyway?

I might be happy to go back to the Yorkshire of my ancestors, but can I be guaranteed of not starving and will my stone house in the paddocks with the ewes not be taken from someone else? I thought as much...
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Girl View Post
You mean people like Oprah, Beyonce, and P Diddy make less than 450,000/year?

I'm in the bottom 37% at $40,000 but, unlike you, I don't have any class envy.
Class envy ? Where do you get that from? I am curious to hear how you came to that conclusion... my husband pissed his pants laughing when I told him someone thought I had Class Envy

Last edited by olive; 06-24-2016 at 10:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 01:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just watching the evening news and the usual 'typical members of the public talking heads' they bring out...
'...our country is just sinking with all the immigrants'.
I just want to scream. What the 'uck are you talking about- sinking with immigrants? no it isn't. That's just a stock phrase that means nothing.
In part due to immigrants our economy is presently booming.
Aaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You ignorant @*^K's
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I'm sort of puzzled by the stat that older people went more for the leave option wanting things to 'go back to how they were'? The good old days? Of when? The '60s maybe, because the '70s were awash in power outages and work stoppages. I tend to feel the same about someone making America great again, that you can't go backward really, and when exactly was this golden era anyway?

I might be happy to go back to the Yorkshire of my ancestors, but can I be guaranteed of not starving and will my stone house in the paddocks with the ewes not be taken from someone else? I thought as much...
​This is just so so awful....I just woke up thinking of the Europeans friends I have that live in this area - French, Polish, German, Czech, Swiss, some married to Brits so they will be ok, but some aren't - their kids are settled in schools, someone's mum is here helping to look after her daughters children. All these people work, all contribute to the community and make this a better place to live. Is this all going to change? If so, this is just appalling. How has this been allowed to happen?!

I heard yesterday that it was the older voters that had voted to Leave (I met some of them yesterday and they were looking very pleased with themselves). Like we all want to go back to effing 1975?!! A vast proportion of the country don't want this, and most young people don't want this. I just can not believe this is going to happen.

How is this country going to be if all these Europeans have to leave? Much worse off in my eyes, and not a country I want to be in

I had permanently residency for Australia at one point in my life, I'm starting to wish I'd kept it instead of letting it go.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 06-25-2016 at 01:53 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Furthermore,

I have had many phone fall-outs with my parents

My parents are currently in Lanzarote after recently buying a villa there. Their plan is to sell their house in the UK and live their permanently​. If they sell their UK house they have said they'll help me to buy a house.

Last year they told me how pleased they were with the Conservative win and how much they liked David Cameron, knowing that I would never vote right-wing.

Now look what has happened with this vote.... as yu mentioned ,will they even be able to live in their villa in a couple of years from now?

I haven't spoken to them yet, I have no idea of their reaction to this.

I have an Auntie and Uncle that have lived in France for over 10years - my uncle really struggles with his health in the UK because of a lung condition and everyone is certain he has only reached 87 because they moved over there away from the cold, damp North of England. Will they have to come back?

This is one big mess of epic proportion. I'm taking my daughter to a local fun day today and the dance show tonight, something we were really looking forward to, but I've just woken up feeling so bleak, which I will now try my hardest to shake off....

Last edited by MoonSister75; 06-25-2016 at 01:49 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An article about Europeans living and working in the UK

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...don-see-brexit

Can we organise a mass protest please with millions hitting the streets. I'll be there
Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I have had many phone fall-outs with my parents

This is one big mess of epic proportion. I'm taking my daughter to a local fun day today and the dance show tonight, something we were really looking forward to, but I've just woken up feeling so bleak, which I will now try my hardest to shake off....
I'd say turn off the news for awhile. And forget about it.
Unless you have investments to tend to, just enjoy the time
with your daughter.

While I wouldn't say ignorance is bliss. Sometimes when
I'm overwhelmed by what's going on in America I try to
remind myself - if I didn't know what was going on would
I be carrying such a heavy burden? Meaning, if you hadn't
seen it on TV, or read about it on the internet would
you even notice a difference?

I'm not giving my opinion on the vote itself. We have our
problems here in the United States. If I didn't believe in God,
if I didn't read His Word and know that He is in control. Then
yes, I'd be worried.