Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I'm starting to warm to Theresa May. Things feel different this time. I think the UK is going to go from strength to strength. I'm happy about David Davis, Boris Johnson and Liam Fox. That's a great team and a step in the right direction. I'm not keen on Amber Rudd as Home Secretary. I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt at the moment. At least Larry is staying
It's good to hear a voice of optimism in this thread. I've never been a fan of Tory governments but I'm warming to her, and I'm remaining open minded about the possibility of a Conservative government that works for all sectors of society. We shall see..... the proof is in the pudding...
Yes thank god for Larry, probably the wisest creature at no 10.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36781561
Old 07-17-2016, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still appalled and disgusted that it is under consideration with this government as to whether they will deport 3milllion EU nationals and also take away the rights of the 1.2 million British citizens living in the EU (and remove the right that we all have to free movement within the EU)

http://aceditor.livejournal.com/557.html

The legal argument which may rule the EU referendum both undemocratic and unlawful

Here I will outline the legal arguments as to why the referendum can be challenged in court, why the referendum may be unlawful and why the government is at risk of having to pay billions of pounds worth of compensation to EU nationals resident in the UK.

Clearly the EU referendum wasn’t “a vote for British people”. The ability to vote (the franchise) was give to British citizens, nationals from 50 other Commonwealth states plus 3 members of the EU - Ireland, Malta and Cyprus. At the same time it excluded nationals from the 24 other member states of the EU.

The Disenfranchisement of some EU Nationals resident in the UK
In the UK there are approximately 2.9 million resident EU nationals. Many have lived here for a very long time. They have families here, have jobs and businesses, pay taxes and contribute to British society. In fact EU nationals are estimated to make a net financial contribution to the UK of £2bn per annum including the welfare services they use.

----------------------------------------------

Sionaidh Douglas-Scott, Professor of European and Human Rights Law at Oxford University puts it like this:

"as things stand, citizens of some EU countries (namely, Ireland, Cyprus, and Malta) have rights to vote in the EU referendum, while other EU citizens do not. This situation may conceivably infringe EU non-discrimination law, given that Article 18 TFEU states that: ‘Within the scope of application of the Treaties, and without prejudice to any
special provisions contained therein, any discrimination on grounds of nationality shall be prohibited’.”

​-----------------------------------------​

Damages

You may ask why it is necessary to question the referendum now that it has already been run. For the 2.5 million EU nationals from the 24 disenfranchised countries life is now in limbo. Having not been given the chance to have any say on the matter, they now find themselves aliens in the place they call home.

​------------------------------------------​

Conclusion

It is clear that the EU Referendum Act discriminated against approximately 2.5 million EU nationals contrary to TFEU18 of EU Law. Only a legal challenge by some or many of the disenfranchised will answer the question as to whether the government can ignore EU law and the fundamental rights it bestows.

To quote Lady Hale, via Aidan O'Neill QC:

“Of course, in any modern democracy, the views of the public and Parliamentarians cannot be the end of the story. Democracy is about more than respecting the views of the majority. It is also about safeguarding the rights of minorities, including unpopular minorities. ‘Democracy values everyone equally even if the majority does not’.... It follows that one of the essential roles of the courts in a democracy is to protect those rights.....
If the current franchise unjustifiably excludes certain people from voting, it is the court’s duty to say so and to give them whatever remedy is appropriate. More fundamentally, Parliamentarians derive their authority and legitimacy from those who elected them, in other words from the current franchise, and it is to those electors that they are accountable. They have no such relationship with the disenfranchised. Indeed, in some situations, they may have a vested interest in keeping the franchise as it is”
Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016...a-may-s-brexit

This article may seem a little negative about Brexit but I found it very informative. There's much talk in the news about us starting to negotiate trade deals, but it makes it clear here that we can't negotiate any trade deals, inside or outside the EU, while the two-year Article 50 process is ongoing (not that we have any negotiators in the country anyway).

Last edited by MoonSister75; 07-17-2016 at 04:30 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

UK economy shrinks at record rates. The worst is yet to come.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...44801?section=
Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh good. Nigel Farage has been reported to the police over his use of the disgusting "breaking point" poster of Syrian refugees. And to think this poster was used to encourage us to leave the EU?! Could they have stooped any lower?​

Campaigners have lodged a complaint with police over alleged incitement to racial and religious hatred by former Ukip leader Nigel Farage and Leave.EU during the referendum, the Press Association reports.

The complaint, backed by almost 40,000 names on an online petition, was handed in to police in north London on Wednesday and given a crime reference number.

Campaign organiser Zack Newman launched the petition in response to a controversial poster used in the referendum campaign.

It was launched by Farage in the final days of the referendum and depicted a column of migrants walking through the European countryside under the slogan Breaking Point.

The complaint asks police to investigate whether comments made by Mr Farage and others in the Leave.EU camp were “systematically and purposefully designed to incite and stir up fear and intolerance of immigrants in order to procure votes”.

and this relates to it:

Politicians to blame for rise of 'respectable racism', says Lady Warsi

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ism-lady-warsi
Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Something positive from Brexit

Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The many complex issues of Brexit - Scotland wanting to stay in the EU, a possible change to border between northern and southern Ireland, Wales losing it's vital EU funding, and what will happen to Gibraltar?

Scotland, Wales and N Ireland could demand vote on Brexit terms
Leaders of UK’s devolved parliaments vow to work together to ensure nations are not ‘done over’ by Westminster
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-eu-referendum

Spain says 'closer to' controlling Gibraltar after Brexit vote
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ter-brexit-vo/
Closed Thread