Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How quickly they forget -

Street Angel didn’t go Gold until after 1997. The Other Side of the Mirror didn’t go platinum until 1997. TimeSpace didn’t go platinum until 1997. And the only reason her Box Set went Gold in 1998 is because the Dance happened. The only reason Trouble went Gold in 2001 was also because of the Dance. She definitely needed Fleetwood Mac. Her solo career was over in 1994, when Street Angel couldn’t even go Gold and TimeSpace greatest barely made it to a Gold. The Dance which occurred in 1997 saved her career.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-02-2018 at 12:33 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
How quickly they forget -

Street Angel didn’t go Gold until after 1997. The Other Side of the Mirror didn’t go platinum until 1997. TimeSpace didn’t go platinum until 1997. And the only reason her Box Set went Gold in 1998 is because the Dance happened. The only reason Trouble went Gold in 2001 was also because of the Dance. She definitely needed Fleetwood Mac. Her solo career was over in 1994, when Street Angel couldn’t even go Gold and TimeSpace greatest barely made it to a Gold. The Dance which occurred in 1997 saved her career.
Sadly, she still had the most respectable sales numbers of the lot. SA sold more than OOTC and “Time” combined.

They all needed the boost from “The Dance.” Given the changes at the label, I don’t know if any of them were viable enough to remain on a label if not for the reunion.

And, kudos to Stevie on building her brand and image after the 1997 makeover. She played her cards brilliantly.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-02-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Story seems to be the same for Stevie, Lindsey, Pete Townshend, Glenn Frey, and others. Some initial solo success but, by the mid-nineties, it's clear the public has relatively little interest in them as solo artists; and so they return to the lucrative bands they had left.

Glenn and Pete stopped recording new original solo material after 1993 and, with the exception of Trouble In Shangri-La and In Your Dreams, Stevie did the same.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-02-2018 at 01:36 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Sadly, she still had the most respectable sales numbers of the lot. SA sold more than OOTC and “Time” combined.

They all needed the boost from “The Dance.” Given the changes at the label, I don’t know if any of them were viable enough to remain on a label if not for the reunion.

And, kudos to Stevie on building her brand and image after the 1997 makeover. She played her cards brilliantly.
You missed the point.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Story seems to be the same for Stevie, Lindsey, Pete Townshend, Glenn Frey, and others. Some initial solo success but, by the mid-nineties, it's clear the public has relatively little interest in them as solo artists; and so they return to the lucrative bands they had left.

Glenn and Pete stopped recording new original solo material after 1993 and, with the exception of Trouble In Shangri-La and In Your Dreams, Stevie did the same.
Stevie’s albums stopped selling because of low quality. TOSOTM and Street Angel were embarrassing and neither produced a Too 10 hit. Iovine stopped producing her because she wouldn’t listen to him and then her career just tanked.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie’s albums stopped selling because of low quality. TOSOTM and Street Angel were embarrassing and neither produced a Too 10 hit. Iovine stopped producing her because she wouldn’t listen to him and then her career just tanked.
"Tanked"?

I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find an artist, especially a female artist outside of Dolly Parton and Cher, that continues to record, tour and remain relevant as much as Stevie has. Both "In Your Dreams" and "24 Karat Gold" peaked within the Top 10. How is that "tanking" exactly? A lot has been said about her in the past year but, the one thing you cannot take away from her is her broad appeal and influence. Its no secret that FM would have hit the oldies circuit a long time ago without her.

I rarely ever jump into the fray on here because the arguing is pointless but, when I see just pure inaccuracy - I start feeling a little froggy.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes Chris is still creative and she's wasting the time she doesn't have on the stupid nostalgia cashgrab.

i don't want Lindsey to EVER go back to wasting his time with the Mac if Stevie is still in it. she already made him waste 2 decades now. but however much i cannot wait for several more LB varied solo albums, and i hope he opens up to collaborations with some REALLY COOL artists (vs the commercial pop flavor of the day), i would also love it if both McVies blow off the narcissist duo as soon as possible and join Lindsey for some new music and touring. i'm sure that would be healing for all 3 of them. plus BuckVie still owes UK a tour leg.
Can you guys imagine an album or couple of tracks with Ryan Adams or The War on Drugs? Just another reason I respect Lindsey as an artist. He knows great music.

Steve- Building her brand? Who cares. They are all rich. I myself don’t have access to there checking accounts balances, but i think Lindsey is doing just fine. He didn’t try to build himself falsely. He didnt have to. His legacy which is much more important, in my opinion will be the creation of music that will live forever. The respect of his peers, fellow writers, studio musicians, engineers, producers,etc in the music business. He will be remembered as a pioneer and a performer who can only be equaled by a select few. That’s a person i look up to.

Blake Mills released a new album this week called “Look”. The entire thing was recorded with a Roland Guitar synth. Who did that before him? Lindsey. This is the kind of respect he has. From people that matter

Last edited by wilsonmac; 12-02-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpossibleHoney View Post
"Tanked"?

I think you would be pretty hard pressed to find an artist, especially a female artist outside of Dolly Parton and Cher, that continues to record, tour and remain relevant as much as Stevie has. Both "In Your Dreams" and "24 Karat Gold" peaked within the Top 10. How is that "tanking" exactly? A lot has been said about her in the past year but, the one thing you cannot take away from her is her broad appeal and influence. Its no secret that FM would have hit the oldies circuit a long time ago without her.

I rarely ever jump into the fray on here because the arguing is pointless but, when I see just pure inaccuracy - I start feeling a little froggy.
I don’t think you are actually paying attention to all the posts. The point is her career had tanked. Then the Dance happened in 1997 and brought her career back to life. She did need Fleetwood Mac. You need to read all the posts before you go off.

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-02-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You missed the point.
When one can't refute a point, "miss it" and address something no one was debating! An all-too-frequently employed tactic by some.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She really did do that beautifully. She had just begun to rebuild herself in 1996, with a series of public concerts and a Lifetime documentary and concert slated for broadcast—talking to the press again, getting her "look" done (including weight and hair), getting a little "I'm still cool" help from Courtney Love and Billy Corgan. 1997 with Fleetwood Mac pushed her right back to the top again (albeit an older audience this time around). And she took it and ran with it for several years, from 1998's work with Sheryl Crow for "Practical Magic" to the "Enchanted" box set and tour (which everyone loved). She kept it up with a series of one-up concerts, short tours (including the New Year's Eve shows in Anaheim), her 2001 eagerly awaited "Shangri-La" album (again which everybody liked), with a fine tour and cool TV spots on Rosie O'Donnell and the Blockbuster Music Awards—all of which fed of course by the Internet fan base.

As a self-promoter of her own strengths and her connection to people, she has it all over the other Fleetwood Macsters. Mick Fleetwood is every bit the drummer that Stevie is the songwriter—but while she's getting awards from BMI and Blockbuster for songwriting, he is . . . selling wine at Costco. I was going to say that it would be funny if it weren't so sad. But it IS funny.

And Christine's case was no less ridiculous than Mick's. I realize that personal anxieties and depression don't run on a schedule. But to completely ditch Fleetwood Mac coming off the reunion tour and some Grammy nominations for a Number 1 album was just . . . unbelievably bad planning. Just like the heart, I guess the psyche wants what it wants, and Christine wanted to curl into a fetal position in a Kent country manor at the most inopportune time.

Considering the "Say You Will" trials and tribulations, the in-fighting, the nonsense, I think Christine's 1998 departure dealt Fleetwood Mac a blow it never really recovered from (although the other four put up a game front). When she came back to the O2 for those shows, I think everyone (including Fleetwood Mac) got very excited because here was a chance to have another 1997 reunion—in 2014-15. This past year made everyone feel as if they were stuck on a hamster wheel. I think that's why the anger is at fever pitch.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-03-2018, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD;1244858]You mean the same stupid nostalgia cashgrab Lindsey would be doing if he hadn’t been fired?

Umm...you do know that it's not by choice. If it were up to LB they would have an album out before EVERY TOUR.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=secondhandchain;1244915]
Quote:
You mean the same stupid nostalgia cashgrab Lindsey would be doing if he hadn’t been fired?

Umm...you do know that it's not by choice. If it were up to LB they would have an album out before EVERY TOUR.
You can try and try, but you'll NEVER get him to admit that.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
While loving her music for a huge part of my life, she wasn't what initially got me into Fleetwood Mac (that would've been Christine with Little Lies at the ripe old age of 6 and then Christine again with that banjo version of Say You Love Me, along with my parent's obsession with The Dance concert on TV when I was 16). The deeper I got into the band, the more I discovered all of the amazing songs and performances that Stevie put on (and Lindsey too of course). However, I've always thought she was simply an obnoxious person. Going back to The Dance era, I think during Behind the Music she compares being in Fleetwood Mac to being in the Army. Even as a stupid teenage boy who didn't know squat, I just felt that was such an overdramatic and eye rolling comment to make.

The Destiny Rules documentary did the woman no favors in my view - but once the Say You Will tour was long over and she went on to bash Lindsey for the album and tour, I really lost any respect I had for her. As she keeps getting older, she honestly just comes across to me as a bigger and bigger narciscistic jerk. She hates Lindsey, hates being in Fleetwood Mac, until she needs a huge fat paycheck. Face it, without The Dance and the insane popularity generated during that time, none of them would have made the money they did over the last 21 years. I was always able to look past their personal crap and enjoy the music which I did and still do love - but what went down since Christine came back, starting with Stevie's refusal to record ANYTHING with the band that gave her everything, has soured me for good on her.

She has become a bitter old woman who like most narcissists, finds a way to make every single event in some way about them. She's always being wronged by some big bad bully (be it Mick, Lindsey, producers, lovers, you name it). She's over-the-top dramatic all the time. She latches on to whatever or whomever is "cool" at the moment in some desperate attempt to remain relevant.

And while I love the music, it has impacted my enjoyment. I've found myself skipping over songs or turning stations when she comes on. It's stupid - Lindsey not being in Fleetwood Mac has done nothing for me except save me a couple hundo on show tickets - but for whatever reason, this year has been the absolute final straw. I know a lot of people here are hoping that this all leads to a huge "Dance Pt 2" reunion with Lindsey. I don't want that nor will I bother with it if it happened (I doubt it...not enough time left in the game for the wounds to heal and make it something interesting - they did that once already in 1997).
What HE said.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=secondhandchain;1244915]
Quote:
You mean the same stupid nostalgia cashgrab Lindsey would be doing if he hadn’t been fired?

Lindsey wanted to make new music. It’s not his fault the way things worked out.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Still love Stevie’s music and still listen to her whole catalogue regularly.

She’s annoyed me in recent years with her refusal to record with Fleetwood Mac, her weird ass notions about the modern music industry and her comments that making music doesn’t sell money. Remember that interview with Sandra Bernherd from the enchanted tour where she said that she would die if she wasn’t doing this? What happened to that lady? The lady that made music and performed because she would die if she didn’t? Not because she makes a heap of money from it. She went on for years about not recording without Christine and then when she did come back, she still refused.

I honestly feel sorry for her at times too because I think her creative juices have dried up completely. She hasn’t written anything new without help since 2002. All the new songs on IYD were co-writes. I just don’t think she can write like she used to, which must be a horrible feeling for someone who used to write everyday. But she’d never admit that and instead just talks rubbish to cover it up.

As for the current situation with Lindsey, I couldn’t really care less about that. We don’t know the full facts, not really. People are jumping to wild conclusions based on little tidbits of information. But whatever the truth is, I don’t even care really. It’s just yet another ridiculous drama in a long chain of ridiculous dramas that’s lasted for 50 years. Fleetwood Mac has never existed without its over the top soap opera BS. It’s exhausting.

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 12-03-2018 at 02:40 AM..