Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Say You Will" Tour / Keyboardists Michael Dean & Michael Bernard

Were they playing keys and samples offstage?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_You_Will_Tour

Michael Dean – Keyboards on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

Michael Bernard (after Michael Dean's exit from the tour after the first tour leg) – Keyboards/Samples on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

Last edited by cbBen; 07-01-2019 at 03:50 AM..
Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember asking Tuggle something about his rig on that tour in his Q&A here. He switched boards between legs, and I wondered why at the time.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Were they playing keys and samples offstage?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_You_Will_Tour

Michael Dean – Keyboards on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"

Michael Bernard (after Michael Dean's exit from the tour after the first tour leg) – Keyboards/Samples on "The Chain", "Dreams", "Eyes of the World", "Peacekeeper", "Second Hand News", "What's the World Coming To", "Beautiful Child", "Gold Dust Woman", "Tusk", "Stand Back", "Go Your Own Way", "World Turning", "Don't Stop" and "Goodbye Baby"
This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.

Can Lindsey play cello?
I note Sheryl also played keys on Say You Will in studio, including a vibraphone. Does anyone know if this was a real vibraphone or if it was a keyboard? Edit: my bad, a vibraphone is a percussion instrument.

Last edited by secret love; 08-15-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Old 08-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
This is a darn shame, really. Wikipedia credits both Stevie and Lindsey as sharing keyboard duties for the album in studio in Christine's absence. Stevie should have really been playing, if not behind a keyboard or piano on all songs, she should have at least done two or three songs at a baby grand. Landslide, for one.

Have you actually HEARD her play?

$he's HORRIBLE. A first year piano student, at best! $he plonks away on her TWO chords, like $he's Liberace(after a horrible car accident, followed by 7 strokes). It's TRULY embarrassing. I can't believe you stand behind her amateurish playing. $he KNOWS $he shouldn't be recorded.

$he could fart in a jar, and you'd buy it.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Can Lindsey play cello?
I note Sheryl also played keys on Say You Will in studio, including a vibraphone. Does anyone know if this was a real vibraphone or if it was a keyboard? Edit: my bad, a vibraphone is a percussion instrument.

You don't play a musical instrument, do you? Stevie Nicks, cannot play the piano, or the guitar. This thread is over.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

$he's HORRIBLE. A first year piano student, at best! $he plonks away on her TWO chords, like $he's Liberace(after a horrible car accident, followed by 7 strokes). It's TRULY embarrassing. I can't believe you stand behind her amateurish playing. $he KNOWS $he shouldn't be recorded.

How could you say that. Her piano version of Rhiannon is right up there with Rachmaninov.
Haters gonna hate

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-17-2019 at 06:50 AM..
Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
How could you say that. Her piano version of Rhiannon is right up there with Rachmaninov.
Haters gonna hate
What's impossible to believe is that her.....followers.....think that $he plays great! I could teach my dog to play as well as $he does!
Old 08-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
What's impossible to believe is that her.....followers.....think that $he plays great! I could teach my dog to play as well as $he does!
Say what you will but her Enchanted Rhiannon piece was included in one of the most brilliant piano pieces Volume 2
Skip ahead to 6:48 She rings like a bird through the night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbOZXL8Vz4w
Old 08-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
You don't play a musical instrument, do you? Stevie Nicks, cannot play the piano, or the guitar. This thread is over.
Yes, I do. I play piano and bass.

That's me.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Let me introduce you to the letter S: s, S, Stephanie, singer, songwriter, pianiSt, guitariSt, Stevie, NickS.

Anyway, never mind that Stevie Nicks wrote the guitar for Leather and Lace and Landslide, and the piano for Lady From the Mountains and Rhiannon. Never mind that at all. She must be horrible. Note a subtle difference here: she WROTE the music for these four songs, no, she did not record the instruments herself, true, but she was in the room with: Don Henley, and separately Lindsey Buckingham and Dave Stewart, telling them what to play and how to play it - they arranged it their own ways, sure, but she wrote it.

Homer, why would I need to buy farts in a jar when I get gorgeous melodies and phrasings on YouTube for free? Idiot.

Last edited by secret love; 08-17-2019 at 07:43 PM..
Old 08-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another piece of shameless self-promotion about the terrible music I wrote, played and recorded:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/sbjames2

https://music.apple.com/us/album/fol...-ep/1335906041
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Homer, why would I need to buy farts in a jar when I get gorgeous melodies and phrasings on YouTube for free?

Idiot.
I believe that falls under the category of personal attack. Are you looking for another "vacation" from The Ledge?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Can Lindsey play cello?

You don't play a musical instrument do you? Stevie Nicks cannot play the piano or the guitar.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I got in an argument years ago with someone claiming that Nicks was playing the piano on this master reel rendition of Bella Donna.

I tried explaining for a million very detailed reasons that, no, that wasn't her.

Now this is Stevie at the piano. Can y'all hear the obvious differences? Stevie's playing isn't primarily chordal, it's unitone (I think I made that word up). I don't know what to call it - sounds like a musically illiterate notion of an Alberti bass figure that never modulates, but just keeps plinky-plonking on the exact same note, over and over. The passing tones (where the bass walks up the scale) are all wrong, and there are weird second and third inversions everywhere that compromise the song's tonic integrity. The whole accompaniment is repetitive - no variation anywhere. No dynamic range, no arpeggios, no development - nothing that the song developed into instrumentally. Vocally, of course, she gives it plenty, but that was usually true of her demos. She writes her songs . . . by singing them. That's how they get cemented. And please don't cite her piano work on Rhiannon. She isn't doing anything even mildly interesting or skilled. She is plonking two-note chords (the clinical term is dyad) ascending and then descending in the right hand, alternating with plonk-plonk bass on A and F in the left. I've taught a million children piano, and they all do that. Her contribution to that great track was a vocal and lyrical one.

On the piano, she has (and had) absolutely no skill. In fact, I think she's a mildly better guitarist, based on the guitar on her Enchanted demo of Twisted.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyway, never mind that Stevie Nicks wrote the guitar for Leather and Lace and Landslide, and the piano for Lady From the Mountains and Rhiannon.
I think it's vague to say she wrote the "guitar" or the "piano" for such-and-such song because that implies that she wrote the guitar or piano part(s) that we all recognize from the recording. But that's not true in the case of Landslide and Rhiannon. She wrote the lyrics and the vocal line, supplied the main chords, and accompanied herself on those demos. There's a big difference.

Quote:
She must be horrible.
Not horrible. She's a great singer and performer, and many people believe a great songwriter. She is not an instrument player in any memorable sense.

Quote:
Note a subtle difference here: she WROTE the music for these four songs, no, she did not record the instruments herself, true, but she was in the room with: Don Henley, and separately Lindsey Buckingham and Dave Stewart, telling them what to play and how to play it - they arranged it their own ways, sure, but she wrote it.
I think you're confusing a couple of different things here. She did not tell Lindsey Buckingham what to play - unless you mean supplying him with the basic chords and singing the song to him so he got the feel. (A chord is a chord, and a part is a part - they're not synonymous.) She certainly didn't tell him how to play a modified Travis-style finger pick, and that's what Landslide is. She completely lacks the expertise on guitar to have arranged that part. The guitar part that we hear on the track is LB's work, not hers. In some cases, her demos may have given the rest of the band an idea of what sort of instrumental part to create. For example, the Smile at You piano from 1982 sounds like Christine playing something a little more upscale from something Stevie probably played for her - same thing with Sara. And we've already all heard about how Dreams (FM7 - G) developed when the others got their hands on her idea and fleshed it out. Even a great pianist like Bittan riffed on Stevie's simple figure on the piano - on How Still My Love, for example. But there are plenty of other occasions - Rhiannon is one of them - where the guys playing the instruments had to invent the various parts because they weren't there before.

moviekinks.blogspot.com