Default Love for FM circa 1970-1974

I go through seasonal periods of love and fascination for these albums:
Kiln House
Future Games
Bare Trees
Penguin
Mystery to Me
Heroes are Hard to Find

Wow -- five albums in five years! Such unprecedented productivity and such a wealth of music at a time when Fleetwood Mac was in constant flux and transition at every turn.

Random notes/thoughts:

Christine appears vocally on the Kiln House album, and joins the touring band. Jeremy Spencer disappears and Peter Green steps in temporarily to finish the tour, but refuses to play anything but jam sessions.

Christine McVie and Bob Welch become official members for Future Games. This line up lasts long enough to record another album - Bare Trees.

Danny Kirwan, in a very sad state, is fired from the band. Bob Weston replaces him. In an ill-conceived move, the band decides to hire a front man - Dave Walker. Penguin is born. This is their biggest line-up: six members!

Dave Walker proves to be a blip in history. Mystery to Me emerges. I think this version of the band was very strong. Bob Weston was a great guitarist. It's a tragedy that he screwed up by screwing Mick's wife. So long Bob!

Now down to a foursome, the band recolcate to LA. They nearly fall into obscurity with Heroes are Hard to Find. The touring band includes another keyboard player - insert name here! Then Bob leaves and the Age of Rumours begins.

All of these albums re-emerge in the wake of Rumours. Unsuspecting fans buy these albums and are confused by the absence of Lindsey and Stevie!

Random notes/thoughts end here.

I have some wonderful bootlegs from this era. A lot of rare songs were performed, especially many from Jeremy Spencer. I'm primarly interested in the album tracks that were performed. Here is the list I have:

Station Man
Tell Me All The Things You Do
Jewel Eyed Judy
One Together

Future Games
Morning Rain
Woman of a Thousands Years

Child of Mine
Spare Me A Little of Your Love
Homeward Bound
Trinity - outtake
Sentimental Lady

Night Watch

Believe Me
Hypnotized
Why
Miles Away ( I don't have song on a bootleg - just saw it on utube)

Coming Home
Angel
Bermuda Triangle
Bad Loser

The list above is culled from the bootlegs I have from the tours for Kiln House, Future Games, Bare Trees and Heroes are Hard to Find. Are there bootlegs out there for the Penguin and Mystery to Me tours?? Is there evidence of other album tracks that were performed? Please help this obviously obsessed fan!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-01-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bare Trees

Well, I just got the Bare Trees album from Amazon today. (I just love Amazon) But anyway, it's a good album. I mainly bought it for Christine's "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" but like Welch's "Sentimental Lady" and Kirwan's "Sunny Side of Heaven."

Some of the songs sound kinda familiar, like I had heard them before. Were any of these songs on the radio or featured on TV some?

One thing I did notice is the lack of that 3 part harmony that became so evident during the "Rumours" era and even afterwords. It gives the band more of a united, together feel to it instead of just a collection of songs from 3 singer-songwriters.

5 Kirwan songs, 2 Welch songs, and 2 from Christine, and a poem reading by a Mrs. Scarrot

Next I have to get Mystery to Me
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Next I have to get Mystery to Me
Dude, it's the greatest FM album, ever! A MUST HAVE!!!

The Bob Welch era, is my favorite, by far, of FM.

I often wonder, if Bob Weston hadn't SCREWED up, what might have become of MTM....I mean, it's fantastic. If the right 2-3 hits had scored big, Stevie would still be waiting tables!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe the band played "Sunny Side of Heaven" quite a bit during the early-to-mid 70s, too. Christine once said in an interview with a keyboard magazine that she shlepped an enormous arp-string ensemble around on tours just to play that song live.

Bob Welch in one of his Q and A sessions said the band sometimes played "Just Crazy Love" and "Dissatisfied" too. If I remember rightly, he may have even said "Just Crazy Love" started a few shows.

Of course none of these songs are on bootlegs but if Christine and Bob can remember playing them, then, well...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I often wonder, if Bob Weston hadn't SCREWED up, what might have become of MTM....I mean, it's fantastic. If the right 2-3 hits had scored big, Stevie would still be waiting tables!
I honestly don't think the band would have scored too big with MTM, even if they'd gotten to tour it properly. It might have reached into the top 30-40, as Heroes did the next year--or it might have even gotten somewhere between 20-29. "Hypnotized" got airplay and people loved to hear it performed. But in terms of a huge commercial market, I doubt the album would have hit. Possibly 500,000 albums sold, tops.

Now it has sold more than this but that's because of the enormous popularity of the band later.

It's not that I don't love MTM. I really do. And I do feel it deserved big sales. But I'm just being realistic here.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes! I agree completely. I love MTM more than I love the White Album. And I love the White Album more than I love food.

Quote:

Am I safe to bleat without anyone bashing me over the head in here? Baa

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
In an ill-conceived move, the band decides to hire a front man - Dave Walker.
Ill conceived? I guess that depends on who you ask...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Ill conceived? I guess that depends on who you ask...
Ask any of the band members. For the most part, they acknowledge that it was a wrong move. I recall Christine saying they didn't know what to do with him -- as is evident on his limited participation on the Penguin album. Not to disparrage Dave, but he wasn't the right fit for the band dynamic.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ask any of the band members. For the most part, they acknowledge that it was a wrong move. I recall Christine saying they didn't know what to do with him -- as is evident on his limited participation on the Penguin album. Not to disparrage Dave, but he wasn't the right fit for the band dynamic.
Look I know I'm the local Dave Walker fan club so my opinion is biased and I know I defend Dave at any opportunity (someone has to he's the pre-rumours equivalent of Bekka Bramlett)....

BUT

IMHO Dave Walker joining FM was a very good idea that didn't work for a variety of reasons...rather than a bad idea that shouldn't have happened.

The potential that Dave had (has) correctly channelled and nutured would have been fantastic. He was perhaps too late though for Fleetwood Mac...imagine a Walker, Kirwan and Spencer Fleetwood Mac!!!

Oh and one final thing before I shut up - Penguin was a very good album. A brilliant album. I know it is all about opinions and we each can have one even if they aren't right () but it constantly annoys the hell out of me that Penguin gets so easily dismissed.

On a more positive note I agree with you that these albums (although I've never liked Bare Trees personally) are a great period in Fleetwood Mac history. So much talent, so much happening, such fantastic albums. Oh and far too short a time period, especially the Mr Welch era.

I too would love to come across a Penguin era bootleg although I am yet to find one. Obviously I would love to hear that certain someone sing more than two songs!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Look I know I'm the local Dave Walker fan club so my opinion is biased and I know I defend Dave at any opportunity (someone has to he's the pre-rumours equivalent of Bekka Bramlett)....

BUT

IMHO Dave Walker joining FM was a very good idea that didn't work for a variety of reasons...rather than a bad idea that shouldn't have happened.

The potential that Dave had (has) correctly channelled and nutured would have been fantastic. He was perhaps too late though for Fleetwood Mac...imagine a Walker, Kirwan and Spencer Fleetwood Mac!!! (

Oh and one final thing before I shut up - Penguin was a very good album. A brilliant album. I know it is all about opinions and we each can have one even if they aren't right () but it constantly annoys the hell out of me that Penguin gets so easily dismissed.

On a more positive note I agree with you that these albums (although I've never liked Bare Trees personally) are a great period in Fleetwood Mac history. So much talent, so much happening, such fantastic albums. Oh and far too short a time period, especially the Mr Welch era.

I too would love to come across a Penguin era bootleg although I am yet to find one. Obviously I would love to hear that certain someone sing more than two songs!
Wow, you are very defensive and protective of Dave. Yet I understand where you are coming from. I like the Penguin album as much as I like all the others. But don't you agree that Dave was under-utilized on the album? Again, it was just a matter of not being proper fit. (For the record, the quality of Roadrunner wasn't questionable for Dave's vocals (IMO) but for a very crappy instrumental track.)

I recall Christine saying that the band never had a designated "front man", and at the time thought they needed a vocalist/figure head --- sort of like Mick Jagger is to the Rolling Stones. But it became clear that they weren't that kind of band. It had nothing to do with Dave's talents or integrity. I'm sure he has gotten over any hard feelings he had about the situation! lol

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-02-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(For the record, the quality of Roadrunner wasn't questionable for Dave's vocals (IMP) but for a very crappy instrumental track.)
AMEN!!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Yes! I agree completely. I love MTM more than I love the White Album. And I love the White Album more than I love food.

Am I safe to bleat without anyone bashing me over the head in here? Baa
Just popping in to say you can blame the bleating on my sig.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know much about Dave Walker, but the top thing I like about Fleetwood Mac is the fact that there is no "lead singer" or "frontman" like so many other groups and bands of yesterday and today.

I always wonder about those "what if's"

What if Bob Welch had stayed for one more album?

What if Mick and John had decided to end the band after Welch left?

Anyone have any first hand memories of this era of the band? Concerts, TV, radio shows?

I use alot of quote marks!! My goodness!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Anyone have any first hand memories of this era of the band? Concerts, TV, radio shows?
The first time I saw Fleetwood Mac live was at the taping of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show in August 1974 at the Long Beach Center Theatre. They pretty much played their basic concert set....only 4 or 5 songs actually made it onto the air when the show was actually broadcast:

I seem to recall:

Black Magic Woman
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Green Manalishi
Bermuda Triangle
Rattlesnake Shake

I have it on VHS, but it has been a while since I've watched it. Unfortunately, I never got any screen time during the crowd shots (I was way in the back, last row)

And, then in December '74, I saw them again in a real concert setting at the Long Beach Arena (just across the lobby from the Center Theatre). Climax Blues Band opened. Played a great set, since I worked in a record store at the time, I bought two or three of their albums the next day. Then Fleetwood Mac came on....WOW! They played seemingly for 2-1/2 hrs. The basic set (what I call "the basic set" is what is on the bootleg Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?)....also interspersed in the set were "Coming Home", "Station Man", "Homeward Bound", "Just Crazy Love", "Jewel Eyed Judy", "Get Like You Used To Be", "Jumping At Shadows" (w/Christine on lead vocal), "Night Watch" (Mick's African Talking Drum solo vehicle)

Not sure if this was Bob's exact "last show", but it was pretty close to being the last show of the tour.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

And, then in December '74, I saw them again in a real concert setting at the Long Beach Arena (just across the lobby from the Center Theatre). ... The basic set (what I call "the basic set" is what is on the bootleg Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?)....also interspersed in the set were "Coming Home", "Station Man", "Homeward Bound", "Just Crazy Love", "Jewel Eyed Judy", "Get Like You Used To Be", "Jumping At Shadows" (w/Christine on lead vocal), "Night Watch" (Mick's African Talking Drum solo vehicle)

Not sure if this was Bob's exact "last show", but it was pretty close to being the last show of the tour.
Interesting! I would love to have heard Station Man with this configuration. Bob Welch in his Q and A said they stopped Doing Danny songs once Danny'd left, but maybe he didn't think of Station Man or Jewel Eyed Judy as strictly Danny songs, since they're collaborations?