User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I think Stevie is actually traditionally conservative, which I don't care about. She slammed Madonna for kissing two women on tv so I don't think her LGBTQ views are progressive. Gaga, Cher, Bono, Madonna, Springsteen are vocally supportive of the LGBTQ community
I don't like FOX.
Stevie's comments in the last decade have been very pro-LGBT so I don't think this is true anymore.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Stevie's comments in the last decade have been very pro-LGBT so I don't think this is true anymore.
She said she can't say she's happy gay people like her music because she never looked at them as different. Do you have another quote?

It sounds nice but it's important to bolster the identities of the community and the fight that went into getting to where we are today, 51 years after Stonewall.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She said she can't say she's happy gay people like her music because she never looked at them as different. Do you have another quote?

It sounds nice but it's important to bolster the identities of the community and the fight that went into getting to where we are today, 51 years after Stonewall.
From the same interview

'I read about it and told my dad, ‘It’s a huge party thrown by fabulous gay men and women. They love my clothes and my fashion and my songs, and they all go to it and play my music and lip synch!’ And my dad was very conservative, but he said, ‘That is really great, honey!’

And in this interview https://pridesource.com/article/46793/

'because you know a lot of gays adore you.
I know. I’m glad.'

'Drag queens will be all about that, you know.
Yeah – I love it!'

That doesn't sound like a very conservative woman to me.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From the same interview

'I read about it and told my dad, ‘It’s a huge party thrown by fabulous gay men and women. They love my clothes and my fashion and my songs, and they all go to it and play my music and lip synch!’ And my dad was very conservative, but he said, ‘That is really great, honey!’

I know. I’m glad.'

Yeah – I love it!'

True or not, it's always better to know(and act accordingly) on which side your bread is buttered.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Because Mick's a big old drama queen.
Where's the like button when I need it
Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think the McVies are pretty conservative, but I think everyone else is left of center. However, that was as of a quarter century ago. I don’t know how they swing, now, especially in these strange times.

I don’t think Stevie dug Madonna’s sexuality being out in the open in general. Then again, I think Stevie considered Madonna a threat.
Several months ago I was watching the old Dance rehearsal interviews. They spoke about the Bill Clinton inauguration. Chris was asked if she and the band would consider doing a song or concert for Tony Blair (UK Prime Minister at the time). Chris and John looked as if they saw a ghost. They both said no and they would never do anything for the Labor party. I found it funny because while Chris has made it known she would never have voted for Bill Clinton (said this during her 1995 online interview), she was honored he wanted to use the song. However, the same analogy could not be used for Tony Blair. Clearly the McVie's are staunch conservatives.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From the same interview

I know. I’m glad.'

Yeah – I love it!'

No doubt Stevie is a progressive woman.

But maybe I am too old to remember history and when a Night of a 1000 Stevie's was only 3 years old and Stevie was asked about it. It sort of freaked her out and said it was "very scary." She did not embrace it like she does today. She could have had fun with it but shunned it in the beginning. Stevie like most everyone else has evolved on gays and drag queens. I was a bit thrown that Stevie dismissed the group at the beginning. C'mon now, it was not THAT long ago.

I would also add the MTV episode "Fanatic" when the lesbian confronts her about being thrown out of her house and she bought Stevie's music to get through life. Stevie was really cold and her eyes just bugged out. Hardly comforting.

I am not calling Stevie anti-gay or anti-drag. I just remember history.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From the same interview

I know. I’m glad.'

Yeah – I love it!'

You seem to be at bat for Stevie here so I don't want to offend you by having a view of Stevie's feelings about the LGBTQ community that is in contrast to yours, but the quotes you sent me could've been said by any artist. Saying a general statement like "I'm glad they adore me" or "Fabulous gay men and women lip synch my music" can be said by a conservative star (look at Schwarzenegger)
NOTS is an event celebrating her, attended by persons from all walks of life, because, when asked, she said she was happy that LGBTQ community members attend doesn't make her a fighter for the LGBTQ community like Cyndi Lauper, Grace Jones, or Bette Midler.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

I am not calling Stevie anti-gay or anti-drag. I just remember history.
That's not how you're supposed to remember it!!!

As far as Night of 1000 $tevies, I'm not sure how I'd feel about Night of 1000 Davids...

I mean, they're honoring her, but also parodying her. Mocking her, if you will. YES, they're doing it out of admiration, but I can see how pics from it could take off and paint her in a bad light(if it were easier to post pics here, I have a couple doozies of $tevie imitators that I've saved over the years). How would YOU feel about a night of 1000 yous?
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
NOTS is an event celebrating her, attended by persons from all walks of life, because, when asked, she said she was happy that LGBTQ community members attend doesn't make her a fighter for the LGBTQ community like Cyndi Lauper, Grace Jones, or Bette Midler.
Those are two different standards. Just because someone isn’t a fighter for the LGBTQ community doesn’t mean they’re anti-LGBTQ. Fleetwood Mac has generally been an apolitical band. I think Greenpeace was the only political issue they have publicly endorsed, even John.

Since Stevie isn’t a gay woman and likely not surrounded by gay women in her bubble, it’s probably an issue that’s generally not on her radar.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-29-2020, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those are two different standards. Just because someone isn’t a fighter for the LGBTQ community doesn’t mean they’re anti-LGBTQ. Fleetwood Mac has generally been an apolitical band. I think Greenpeace was the only political issue they have publicly endorsed, even John.

Since Stevie isn’t a gay woman and likely not surrounded by gay women in her bubble, it’s probably an issue that’s generally not on her radar.
I didn't say she was anti-LGBTQ rights. Where did you get that from?

Not sure what you're contributing here, Liz Rosenberg.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This

Quote:

Thank you for getting to the gist of the discussion!!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's not how you're supposed to remember it!!!

As far as Night of 1000 $tevies, I'm not sure how I'd feel about Night of 1000 Davids...

I mean, they're honoring her, but also parodying her. Mocking her, if you will. YES, they're doing it out of admiration, but I can see how pics from it could take off and paint her in a bad light(if it were easier to post pics here, I have a couple doozies of $tevie imitators that I've saved over the years). How would YOU feel about a night of 1000 yous?
So this is your pro-Stevie comment for the year?

The event is a celebration of Stevie Nicks. Yes part is comedy but its all fans celebrating and performing her music. NOTHING to have fear of. Why she could not see this right away is beyond me. A bunch of guys and gals dress up as Stevie Nicks and have a good time while singing and dancing. No fear Homer. No fear.
She embraces it today and jokes that someday she may attend. That was my point. She has evolved over the years like so many other people about drag and gay guys pretending to be her. IMHO none of the event portrays her in a bad light. Its all in good fun and worship of Stevie Nicks. Get on board Homer!

A night of a 1000 Homers is a great idea

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-30-2020 at 05:21 AM..
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 AM

Look, I'm no $tevie fan. There are enough horrible qualities about her to discuss. But, I'm gay and I've never felt she was pro or anti gay.

As far as 1000 Stevie's. It is a little creepy. Can you imagine 1000's of people dressing up and acting like you from all over the world? I guess it goes with the territory of being a superstar.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
So this is your pro-Stevie comment for the year?

The event is a celebration of Stevie Nicks. Yes part is comedy but its all fans celebrating and performing her music. NOTHING to have fear of. Why she could not see this right away is beyond me. A bunch of guys and gals dress up as Stevie Nicks and have a good time while singing and dancing. No fear Homer. No fear.
She embraces it today and jokes that someday she may attend. That was my point. She has evolved over the years like so many other people about drag and gay guys pretending to be her. IMHO none of the event portrays her in a bad light. Its all in good fun and worship of Stevie Nicks. Get on board Homer!

A night of a 1000 Homers is a great idea
I need credit, and it logged that it happened.

I only fear her mindless drones, that follow her like like $he's something special. Following a minimally talented, crazy persona $he invented 45 years ago. I guess there's no accounting for taste....
(does that make up for my nice comment?)

Night of 1000 Homers... Group of "concrete" thinking guys who don't live in an artsy fartsy fantasy world, who sit around drinking beer and whiskey after work, listening to classic country music? Okay, I'm down with that. Sounds like a blast!