Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Letter from the Editor - Guitar World Acoustic

I guess I was in such a hurry to flip to the index to find what page the article was on, and then flip right to the article, that I completely missed the note from the Editor at the front of the Guitar World Acoustic edition that Lindsey is in right now. I only noticed this was there after Tracy posted it on her site. It's very nice.

Big Love

Here is an embarrassing admission: Back in 1977, when rumors of Rumours' greatness were certainly not greatly exaggerated, I wanted to be Lindsey Buckingham. (I should add that earlier in my life I wanted to be, at different times, Sandy Koufax and John Steed, the bowler-hatted male protagonist of the Avengers.) Lindsey had that wild, cool hair; he had that wild, cool singer girlfriend. Mostly, he was an incredibly original and inventive guitarist who played both electric and acoustic with his fingers. As a nascent fingerpicker, as well as someone who was bowled over by Lindsey's songwriting, production skills and, yes, cool appearance, I was one big fan. So much so that I wished I could say goodbye to my own existence as a country blues wannabe, staggering through the twilight period between post-pimple adolescence and jaded adulthood, and become Lindsey.

Well, this did not happen, and I'm still sad about it. I am, however, happy to report that Lindsey Buckingham is back on our cover, and overjoyed that he has returned to Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey remains the articulate, thoughtful guitar-loving person he's always been, and it is clear that he and Guitar World Acoustic Senior Editor James Rotondi got on just famously. To sweeten the Buckingham pot, we've included a transcription of Fleetwood Mac's "Gold Dust Woman" in the issue.

Note: I didn't do the interview personally because I was afraid of discovering that, back in 1977, Lindsey wished he were me.

Harold Steinblatt, Editor
Old 03-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OH that ending was hilarious.
Quote:
Note: I didn't do the interview personally because I was afraid of discovering that, back in 1977, Lindsey wished he were me.
That was a nice article, thank you for sharing Les.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 03-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Letter from the Editor - Guitar World Acoustic

Oh, wow! What a great letter!

Lindsey certainly did have a cool appearance, and he's definately kept it up all these years. Even today, he's got that seasoned rocker look that just adds to his whole presence. Extremely classy in every sense.

Thank for posting the letter!
Old 05-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I wanted to post the nice letters to the editor that were in the follow-up issue (#60) of Guitar World Acoustic after the one with Lindsey's feature --

Leader of the Mac

Thanks for your very cool interview with Lindsey Buckingham (GWA #59). I was fortunate enough to see him play the last time Fleetwood Mac came around, and he blew me and my girlfriend away. He played with such intensity that I could see the veins in his neck throbbing. You don't see many superstars who are still so passionate about what they do.
Willie Franklin, Oakland, CA

I enjoyed reading your Lindsey Buckingham piece. It's always nice when a brilliant artist is as articulate a conversationalist as he is a guitarist. Lindsey is clearly a man who knows what he wants.
Manny Fingers, Helena, MT

Harold Steinblatt's admission that he once wanted to be Lindsey Buckingham has had an unexpected impact on my life. I now want to be Harold Steinblatt.
Kirk Ragovoy, Via Email

You want my house full of screaming children, too? -- GWA Ed.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for those, Les. Lindsey as a "man who knows what he wants" is a pretty accurate description!
Old 05-15-2003, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Thanks for those, Les. Lindsey as a "man who knows what he wants" is a pretty accurate description!
I dunno. Would you trust somebody named Manny Fingers?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I dunno. Would you trust somebody named Manny Fingers?
Haha, I didn't see that. Hmm - maybe it's Lindsey writing himself fanmail under a pseudonym?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

I did the same thing, flipping through quickly that is, but that letter is great. I'm glad Lindsey's getting some appreciation.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey Joe,

Can I beg you to please remove that little quote from me? I totally was very tired when I reread what I wrote I just died. That doesn't sound right at all. I will go edit that now!

I am sure I have written something brilliant at some point...but it sure wasn't that.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Letter from the Editor - Guitar World Acoustic

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
To sweeten the Buckingham pot, we've included a transcription of Fleetwood Mac's "Gold Dust Woman" in the issue.

Great article (thanks for typing it up!) but why would any LB fan care how to play Gold Dust Woman?! There's a whole list of LB songs that are fantastic fingerpicking workouts and they decide to transcribe Gold Dust Woman...?! Oh well.