The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
let's say she was a good addition, not replacement.

I love her voice and her songwriting is amazing.
no one can replace Stevie!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Sure, they could have doublebilled with Nirvana in 1994. I mean, all the teens on crack I knew back in '94 were just waiting breathlessly for an adult-contemporary pop band with 55-year-old faded rock stars in it, like Mick Fleetwood & Dave Mason, who were playing "Say You Love Me" & "Don't Stop" in concert. Man, "Time" would have just blown the grunge & the hip-hop right off the charts!

My problem with Bekka is that, when I was a kid, I saw an old lady with a little girl toddler who was ugly & bratty. She was eating a banana & her nose was running & even though I was just a kid myself, I found myself almost vomiting when I saw the contents of that kid's nose. And the old lady called out "Bekka, come here. I need to wipe your nose. And finish eating your banana!"

So ever since that time I psychologically link the name "Bekka" with this grotesque memory. I am repulsed by the name "Bekka." I think it's ugly. It's a good thing Bekka herself was so cute--seeing her with Fleetwood Mac did a lot to help me combat this painful memory.
Although I think once I did happen to see into Bekka's nose & I'm not sure what I found there.
LMFAO!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
Who is Bekka Bramlett????
Please, oh please tell me that you're kidding.

Bekka is the other lady of Fleetwood Mac. After 1990's Behind the Mask, Rick, Stevie, and Christine all left the band. But Mick, as always, pushed on anyway. Bekka Bramlett was recruited from Mick's other band, The Zoo, to become FM's new female voice and friend Dave Mason, formerly of Traffic, took over Vito's place. Christine was eventually persuaded to return and this lineup, along with Billy Burnette, released one album together, 1995's Time.

Sadly, with its lack of both Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, most fans seem to either consider it one of Fleetwood Mac's worst recordings or simply don't consider it to be truly Fleetwood Mac at all. I won't go into what I think of that particular attitude, but suffice it to say that Time is one of my personal favorites.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Bekka Bramlett was always going to suffer from the inevitable comparisons with Stevie.

It cant have been easy to have to sing Stevie's songs on tour.

I don't hate Time (apart from These Strange Times) but I think it was a band put together for Mick and it shows. the album doesn't really sound like a band. The fact that Christine didn't want Dave Mason anywhere near her songs didn't help.

Gail
Old 07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
the album doesn't really sound like a band. The fact that Christine didn't want Dave Mason anywhere near her songs didn't help.

Gail
Personally I feel Christine contributed to Time out of her love for Mick and John. Now dont get me wrong I really like Christine but I dont feel her heart was in the songs she contributed to the album. A couple of years before Time she gave us Love Shines and Heart Of Stone two great tracks and for that matter her songs on Behind The Mask, but her songs on Time were kind of bland. Then in 1997 she gave us Temporary One which I also love. Her last solo album was good but she should have mixed it up a bit.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
Personally I feel Christine contributed to Time out of her love for Mick and John. Now dont get me wrong I really like Christine but I dont feel her heart was in the songs she contributed to the album. A couple of years before Time she gave us Love Shines and Heart Of Stone two great tracks and for that matter her songs on Behind The Mask, but her songs on Time were kind of bland. Then in 1997 she gave us Temporary One which I also love. Her last solo album was good but she should have mixed it up a bit.
This is from an article in Mojo Magazine during the Dance reunion:

Also appearing on Time was one Christine McVie, who politely notes that her appearance, "was something that I had not volunteered to do; it was contractual. I don't like to harp on it very much, but I thought the music was starting to get a little strange, the choices a little funny. I wasn't really enjoying that particular incarnation of the band, and I left."

I think she was referring to Dave Mason(who she hated) being in the band at the time.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57

I think she was referring to Dave Mason(who she hated) being in the band at the time.
I never quite got the Dave Mason thing either. I LOVE the Time band, save for Dave!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is from an article in Mojo Magazine during the Dance reunion:

Also appearing on Time was one Christine McVie, who politely notes that her appearance, "was something that I had not volunteered to do; it was contractual. I don't like to harp on it very much, but I thought the music was starting to get a little strange, the choices a little funny. I wasn't really enjoying that particular incarnation of the band, and I left."

I don't understand why her appearance was "contractual" but there was no Stevie on the album - may she had a different "contract"

I'd love to know why she doesn't like Dave Mason

Gail
Old 07-04-2006, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'd love to know why she doesn't like Dave Mason

Gail
This is just speculation, but maybe it has something to do with Steve Winwood. Steve & Dave Mason have had problems between them for years & Chris & Steve have been great friends for many, many years.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is just speculation, but maybe it has something to do with Steve Winwood. Steve & Dave Mason have had problems between them for years & Chris & Steve have been great friends for many, many years.
Yes it could be something to do with that.

Didn't somebody post on here or perhaps some other board that John Courage has told them that Christine thought Dave Mason was a "major asshole"

I asked Billy Burnette on his Q&A about Dave Mason and Chris' songs on Time and he seemed to suggest that they left on Michael Thompson's (is that the right name) guitar parts on Chris's songs but that Dave Mason still played on them. Hmmmm

Gail
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes it could be something to do with that.

Didn't somebody post on here or perhaps some other board that John Courage has told them that Christine thought Dave Mason was a "major asshole"
I remember that. I believe it was Steve MacD who said that. John Courage was her manager for 15 years. If he said that, it was probably the way Chris felt about Dave.

Quote:
I asked Billy Burnette on his Q&A about Dave Mason and Chris' songs on Time and he seemed to suggest that they left on Michael Thompson's (is that the right name) guitar parts on Chris's songs but that Dave Mason still played on them. Hmmmm
I doubt that she would have let Dave Mason anywhere near her songs. Now, Chris is on both Bekka & Billy's songs, so she certainly didn't have any problem with either of them, especially Billy. And yes, it was Michael Thompson. If you read the liner notes, there are a few songs which list Michael Thompson as playing "additional" guitars. I suppose it is possible that a few DM guitar parts could be on her songs, but I sort of doubt it. And, if Dave Mason is somehow on her songs, I wonder if Chris knew about it.

Last edited by macfan 57; 07-04-2006 at 10:54 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Please, oh please tell me that you're kidding.

Bekka is the other lady of Fleetwood Mac. After 1990's Behind the Mask, Rick, Stevie, and Christine all left the band. But Mick, as always, pushed on anyway. Bekka Bramlett was recruited from Mick's other band, The Zoo, to become FM's new female voice and friend Dave Mason, formerly of Traffic, took over Vito's place. Christine was eventually persuaded to return and this lineup, along with Billy Burnette, released one album together, 1995's Time.

Sadly, with its lack of both Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, most fans seem to either consider it one of Fleetwood Mac's worst recordings or simply don't consider it to be truly Fleetwood Mac at all. I won't go into what I think of that particular attitude, but suffice it to say that Time is one of my personal favorites.
I was kidding..Bekka has a good voice!
She just reminds me of a barmaid chick singer in a honky tonk off route 68.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thompson

The guitar solo on Hollywood (Some Other Kind Of Town) is the stuff of dreams. I think that's Michael Thompson.
What other records has he played on?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
She just reminds me of a barmaid chick singer in a honky tonk off route 68.
I KNOW her! She's really hot! And makes one hell of a Margarita!

Old 07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember that. I believe it was Steve MacD who said that. John Courage was her manager for 15 years. If he said that, it was probably the way Chris felt about Dave.

I doubt that she would have let Dave Mason anywhere near her songs. Now, Chris is on both Bekka & Billy's songs, so she certainly didn't have any problem with either of them, especially Billy. And yes, it was Michael Thompson. If you read the liner notes, there are a few songs which list Michael Thompson as playing "additional" guitars. I suppose it is possible that a few DM guitar parts could be on her songs, but I sort of doubt it. And, if Dave Mason is somehow on her songs, I wonder if Chris knew about it.
All Christine's songs on Time are produced by Richard Dashut and Christine McVie. I don't think she'd have let any DM guitar creep in there. Some of her songs say Guitar Michael Thompson and some say additional guitar.

Gail