Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Minneapolis show

someone told me this show almost sold out already, in a day. looking at the seating chart and availability, it doesn't seem so yet, but might be close, who knows.

looks like it will be a great final show of the tour (or this leg, if there will be additional ones?), somewhat in a vein of Chicago Winery shows:

http://dakotacooks.com/event/an-inti...ey-buckingham/

An Intimate Evening with Lindsey Buckingham

Start:
November 20, 2012 7:00 pm
Cost:
$175-80 Buy Tickets
Venue:
Dakota Jazz Club
Phone:
612-332-1010
Address:
Google Map
1010 Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, United States, 55403

7:00 $175-80
Pop Music Legend

“…it would be understandable if members of the sold-out crowd might have needed an occasional reminder that the Fleetwood Mac star was working alone. It seemed incredible that one person could deliver such an array of sounds.” -Orlando Sentinel, review of August 7, 2012 show

Lindsey Buckingham has accomplished almost everything that can be done in rock and roll, earning a spot in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame with Fleetwood Mac, winning countless awards, selling out venues around the world, and helping define the sound of rock for the last 3 decades. He’s the predominant musical force behind such Mac albums as Rumours and the innovative Tusk, and has created a critically acclaimed body of solo work that yielded the hits, “Trouble,” “Go Insane,” and “Holiday Road.” But one thing was missing as Buckingham and his band mates were dominating music. “The irony of the bulk of the Fleetwood Mac experience was that none of us were comfortable,” Buckingham confesses. “We had this external success going, which was not matched by any kind of internal success. It didn’t make any of us whole people or contented people in that sense.”

“Buckingham has that kind of charisma. He makes hefty feel revitalizing… songs that are essential pieces of the American soundtrack.” -Dallas Times

Now married and with three kids Buckingham has found that internal success as he puts it. “It really does feel like the best time of my life,” he says. That contentment and peace are evident throughout his sixth solo album, Seeds We Sow. From the soft melodic pop/rock tinge of “End Of Time” and the album’s most rocking track, “One Take,” to the touching “When She Comes Down” and the almost lullaby-esque hushed tones of the gorgeous closing number, “She Smiles Sweetly,” the album showcases Buckingham’s full arsenal of skills. He attributes his peace to two things. The first is his personal life, “To finally meet someone and to have the family thing happen, that’s been a real gift,” he says. The other is musical. “If there is a level of contentedness that I’ve arrived at, part of it is because I think in the last three or four years what I experienced during the solo albums and then what I experienced on the last Fleetwood Mac tour I felt like I had come to a point where there was so much foundation that I had built for myself making incremental steps forward as a musician and as an artist,” he says.

Those solo albums, 2006’s Under The Skin and 2008’s Gift Of Screws, as well as the last Fleetwood Mac tour in 2009, led directly to Seeds We Sow, an album Buckingham didn’t even plan on making. So where did it come from? “I think it came from a certain residue of momentum that was left over from the three years I did those two solo albums back to back and toured a lot behind both of them. That was such a great experience, just finally allowing myself to do that,” he says.

“His fingers had done dazzling things: fingerpicking that could be pristine and meditative or pointedly aggressive, counterpoints of staccato thumb-picked bass lines and gliding melodies, quasi-Baroque austerity leading into frenetic strumming. The guitar was the full partner of his voice, and sometimes the senior partner, pacing the songs and stoking their dynamics, supporting the vocals or sparring with them, hinting at ragtime and raga, grabbing the melodic foreground.” -New York Times, review of Sep 27, 2011 show

visit lindseybuckingham.com for more about Lindsey

Lindsey Buckingham’s Wikipedia page

• a stunning version of “Big Love”

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So happy I got my Mpls show! This is going to be a great end to this leg!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the last show of the tour tonight! whoever is going - have fun, hope it's a great one!!

(and hope he does Rock Away Blind to nicely wrap up the tour )

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default sold out!

seems this show is now sold out.

(if you go to the website and try to buy 1 ticket for the show, it tells you that you are asking for too many )

Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking 2 very different reviews of the same show

2 diametrically opposite views of the exact same show at Dakota yesterday:

Lindsey Buckingham smoked the Dakota Jazz Club last night.. http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois..._club_2012.php

or

Lindsey Buckingham: Loud, angry and too short: Many fans, who paid $80-$125 for tickets, might be thinking they're... http://dlvr.it/2WVNqp

which one is it?? or is it both?

here they are:

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenois..._club_2012.php

Last Night
Lindsey Buckingham at the Dakota Jazz Club, 11/20/12
By Danny Sigelman
Wed., Nov. 21 2012 at 6:00 AM
Categories: Last Night

Lindsey Buckingham
Dakota Jazz Club, Minneapolis
Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Whether it was the intro music of himself playing acoustic guitar or his stacks of amplifiers, you get the feeling Lindsey Buckingham has lived life mostly on massive stages and is most comfortable bringing his big personality and larger than life sound to adoring fans. As long as he has been performing he truly operates with a majesty and with perfection the giant body of work he has created with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist. It was from that pool of unforgettable songs that he magnificently showed his true self to the sold out Dakota Jazz club Tuesday night.

See Also:
Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac talks fate, relationships, and a reunion

Springing towards the microphone Buckingham showed immediate gratitude towards the audience. Though in the intimate setting of the Dakota, he exhibited passionate delivery and a true rock star presence on "Cast Away Dreams" and the first of several Fleetwood Mac tunes of the evening, "Bleed to Love Her." The latter sounded much more personal and devout as it brought the song out from under the '90s production style of the recording which hasn't aged as well as the lyrics themselves.

"I have been talking a lot on this tour of the big machine and the small machine." Buckingham compared working in Fleetwood Mac to that of performing as a solo artist. "As you can see the small machine is getting even smaller."

With charged energy and despite playing an acoustic guitar, Buckingham filled the room with a bright sound in a flurry of finger-picked arpeggiations and impassioned choruses on "Shut Us Down" and "Go Insane." Often using recorded accompaniment that played counterpoint and provided an open canvas rhythmically for extensive guitar solos, Buckingham had most in the crowd on their feet for standing ovations after each song giving the event an arena feel.

As he would hug his guitar and bow graciously between the oceans of melodies and hushed vocals Buckingham commanded the audience with rises and falls in a tide of emotion and dynamics that swept across the room.

Being very open about his songs and the perspective he has looking back at his work, "This song is significant to me. Looking at the lyrics when this was written it accurately describes the person I was." causing some in the audience to laugh. "It wasn't so funny for me!" he cried defensively, "You try being in Fleetwood Mac. It's a god damn mine field out there!" eventually performing a double time version of the 1987 hit, "Big Love" which allowed for Buckingham to really go for it with a frantic guitar solo. Eventually drawing several ladies up to the edge of the stage to bathe in his staccato plucking and looming tunefulness, Buckingham delivered the inevitable crowd pleaser, "Go Your Own Way" that brought the spirit of the song to the now overjoyed crowd who stood and sang along.

Buckingham quickly returned to the stage with some true gratefulness, "It's small risks like these shows that it takes to be an artist and continue to grow. I thank you for being a part of that."

For the encore he retreated to his solo material with a somber reading of "Trouble" that sounded more personal than the original 1981 hit on record and "Seeds We Sow" rounding out the night, both of which once again focused on his subtle but always effective guitar technique.

Essentially the evening really displayed Lindsey Buckingham's abilities and brought out a realness in his personality that seemed quite genuine. It's a fantastic exercise for an artist, especially with as storied career as Buckingham to strip away the excess of performance and bare forth performing naked in a sense on his own. As the music of big classic arena rock takes a more esteemed route with solo performances like that which his current tour provides it's in the cozy settings that listeners gain the opportunity to hear the nuance of the lyrics and performing talents that was most palpable on the stage at the Dakota last night.

Critic's Bias: Was always more a fan of Stevie Nicks' songs but Lindsey Buckingham plays guitar like none other. He is a perfectionist and it comes across in his playing and technique.

The Crowd: Focused like a laser toward the stage, especially the woman who rushed the stage with a bouquet of flowers.

Overheard in the Crowd: "You must be a writer, I heard you say the words 'stage banter'!"

Random Notebook Dump: Somehow had more than one person say I could pull off telling people I'm Lindsey Buckingham.

Setlist:
Cast Away Dreams
Bleed to Love Her
Not Too Late
Stephanie
Shut Us Down
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Trouble
Seeds We Sow

and:

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...180303851.html

Lindsey Buckingham: Loud, angry and too short
Posted by: Jon Bream under Music
Updated: November 21, 2012 - 12:27
Associated Press photo

The Dakota Jazz Club offered free earplugs at the door (unprecedented). The classy downtown Minneapolis club also suspended food and drink service during the concert (not too common but prudent). And the performance of Lindsey Buckingham left many in Tuesday’s sell-out audience unsatisfied (not common).

Why? Buckingham’s solo acoustic performance lasted only 72 minutes (including the encore). And tickets cost $125 and $80. I imagine his soundcheck – for his four guitars, multiple amplifiers and effects pedals – might have lasted longer than the gig itself.

Buckingham’s previous Twin Cities shows with his own band (once as many as 10 pieces) have been longer if occasionally indulgent affairs. Wearing the same outfit he sported last year at his 110-minute Pantages performance with his backup trio, he called this solo session part of a little experiment. He commented about the shallowness of the Dakota—not the people, the space, he said. He talked about the small machine (his solo projects, namely six solo discs since 1981 but three since 2006) being necessary to balance the Big Machine (Fleetwood Mac) and how one couldn’t function without the other.

Using occasional backing tracks, Buckingham’s finger picking was fancy, fast and often phenomenal. He received standing ovations at the end of every long solo passage – and they weren’t just Fleetwood Mac tunes.
At 63, Buckingham came off as an angry man. Well, at least the songs he chose to sing from his solo career were very angry, from the radio faves “Trouble” and “Go Insane” to “Come.” And loud – for acoustic music. He sang hard, like he was trying to project in an arena.

Of course, the Fleetwood Mac tunes – including “Go Your Own Way,” “Never Going Back Again” and “I’m So Afraid” – weren’t exactly happy tunes. We knew that Buckingham wouldn’t be sweet, but we had no idea that he’d be so short.

Set list:
Cast Away Dreams/ Bleed To Love Her (Fleetwood Mac) / Not Too Late/ Stephanie (instrumental from Buckingham Nicks)/ Come/ Shut Us Down/ Go Insane/ Never Going Back Again (Mac) / Big Love (Mac) / I’m So Afraid (Mac) / Go Your Own Way (Mac) ENCORE Trouble/ Seeds We Sow

[ you can have only one guess which one of these review gathered more attention in the twitterworld etc ]

Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't tell me that Trouble is one of the songs the reviewer puts in the "angry" category. As for length, yes that is something I don't blame critics for deriding, from beginning of tour to end.

Michele
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jon Bream is a crabby angry man who always write ridiculous reviews.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Jon Bream is a crabby angry man who always write ridiculous reviews.
yeah someone else from Minneapolis area tweeted same kind of thing you said too - that he just likes to take shots at LB.

it's funny though, b/c the title is so sensationalistic, but than there's nothing really to back it up in the text - he lists standing ovations, great guitar playing etc. the only problem he actually lists is the shortness of the set - which is true. but the angry thing? lol. what's new - except others usually call it intense these days.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah someone else from Minneapolis area tweeted same kind of thing you said too - that he just likes to take shots at LB.

it's funny though, b/c the title is so sensationalistic, but than there's nothing really to back it up in the text - he lists standing ovations, great guitar playing etc. the only problem he actually lists is the shortness of the set - which is true. but the angry thing? lol. what's new - except others usually call it intense these days.
I don't think he's ever written a review that didn't take some sort of ridiculous shot at the artist. He's a self-important nut bag.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey Buckingham: Loud, angry and too short. Many fans, who paid $80-$125 for tickets, might be thinking they're...
Were his ticket prices really that much? I thought his prices were in the $35.00 to $55.00 range.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Were his ticket prices really that much? I thought his prices were in the $35.00 to $55.00 range.
depending on the venue, his prices were anywhere from $20 to $130 i believe. his Dakota prices were high. same with his Chicago Winery prices. m&gs were anywhere between $25-100 on top of that. i have no clue what all these prices depended on - i guess in some cases on the venue, but most acts in Chicago Winery were $20 or less, while he easily sold out 2 nights at $80-100.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Ledgie

I wouldn't think that the ONLY ticket options were $125 or $80, though. $125 includes the meet and greet, so well worth the price. I know some venues are more expensive, but I only spent $50 and I was in the 2nd row at the last show I attended.

I find it odd that he complained about this set being too short, while at the same time mentioning that some of his previous shows have been long, indulgently so.

I just have to laugh at the comment about him being too loud (and angry.) I have been to some concerts where my ears are ringing the next day and I really should have worn hearing protection, but Lindsey's concerts have never been what I consider loud at all (and I've usually been close to the stage.)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta07 View Post
I wouldn't think that the ONLY ticket options were $125 or $80, though. $125 includes the meet and greet, so well worth the price. I know some venues are more expensive, but I only spent $50 and I was in the 2nd row at the last show I attended.

I find it odd that he complained about this set being too short, while at the same time mentioning that some of his previous shows have been long, indulgently so.

I just have to laugh at the comment about him being too loud (and angry.) I have been to some concerts where my ears are ringing the next day and I really should have worn hearing protection, but Lindsey's concerts have never been what I consider loud at all (and I've usually been close to the stage.)
Actually, the meet and greet was more. It ended up being just under $200 with fees. I'd go look and tell you for sure, but I'm lazy today. I think $80 was the cheapest option. It was a very small place at least, so everyone should have had a pretty good/close view.

*edit*
I went back and looked, the meet & greet ticket was $178 and came to $197 with taxes.

Last edited by redtulip; 11-25-2012 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Actually, the meet and greet was more. It ended up being just under $200 with fees. I'd go look and tell you for sure, but I'm lazy today. I think $80 was the cheapest option. It was a very small place at least, so everyone should have had a pretty good/close view.

*edit*
I went back and looked, the meet & greet ticket was $178 and came to $197 with taxes.
Ah, thanks for looking it up. His M&G's do seem to vary a lot in price. I can see how someone paying that much may be a bit disappointed by the set length if they were expecting a 2 hour show and $80 was the cheapest.

I just have to ask...did he remember you from the Des Moines M&G?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta07 View Post
Ah, thanks for looking it up. His M&G's do seem to vary a lot in price. I can see how someone paying that much may be a bit disappointed by the set length if they were expecting a 2 hour show and $80 was the cheapest.

I just have to ask...did he remember you from the Des Moines M&G?
Well, I did go to all the shows from November 13-20 and ran into him multiple times in the hotels, so by the time I got to the Mpls m&g I think he was pretty sick of me I did the Louisville m&g too, and I think he may have remembered seeing me before, but I'm not completely sure. The Louisville show was my first show of the last leg.

Last edited by redtulip; 11-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: add info