Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonfan View Post
As infuriated as I am with this band right now, here's something to ponder:
How many bands, if a member was fired, would generate this kind of publicity? I think the number is less than one hand, more like one or two fingers....seriously....that implies a band of import.

All the negative blowback is well deserved, IMO this is the worst thing they've ever done. EVER. I'm still waiting for Lindsey's take but the words from the band themselves IMO showed a total disregard for the feelings of their fans and not that they owe them anything, they can do as they like...but for me, as a longtime fan, I don't really like musical chairs and I believe some are just irreplaceable, Lindsey Buckingham being example no. 1.

RIP Fleetwood Mac.
Totally agree with all you say, it’s the word FIRED that is so dreadful.
How can Mick fire the artistic core of this band.
It gets worse as the days go by, a statement of explanation would help.

I will not see them if they come to The UK.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:12 AM
Registered

I think the blowback this time is far worse than the Vito-Burnette debacle. In 1987 I think it was just Rolling Stone and some entertainment magazines that covered this. Now, with the Internet, I can see on Google that this news has spread to newspapers from Saudi Arabia to Singapore, hardly bastions of Fleetwood Mac. This is a bigger deal now. I suspect the band thinks it will all blow over like last time just in time for the tour, and it will--it's happening here already--but not as quickly as they would like. This time moreover some people will refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. We've seen this movie before.

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 04-15-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Old 04-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I think the blowback this time is far worse than the Vito-Burnette debacle. In 1987 I think it was just Rolling Stone and some entertainment magazines that covered this. Now, with the Internet, I can see on Google that this news has spread to newspapers from Saudi Arabia to Singapore, hardly bastions of Fleetwood Mac. This is a bigger deal now. I suspect the band thinks it will all blow over like last time just in time for the tour, and it will--it's happening here already--but not as quickly as they would like. This time moreover some people will refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt. We've seen this movie before.
The RickaBilly years were terrible but at least then it was Lindsey who left, the others soldiered on, the music stunk as a result IMO but I was willing to give it a chance. I have no interest in this ugly hybrid.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked the Billy/Rick years and Behind the Mask. I'm a Buckingham fan and always will be.I love what he does to the music he crafts. I'm happy that we will get another solo album. The live MAC will never be the same. In 1987 they got a way with the change in line up following up on a hit album with 3 of 4 "hits" by Chris and Stevie. This time around just playing the classics I don't think so. It's going to be interesting to see how this tour gets " Promoted"

RIP fireflies.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Registered

That's what I don't understand. If Lindsey was fired how could they market this? It can't be a nostalgia tour, since one of the main members is missing. It can't be a new music/moving forward tour, since they're a bit too old for that claim to sound credible, and there is no actual new music anyway.

And what would Mike and Neil do? Play GYOW note for note? Will they import some of Stevie's solo songs with Mike on them? How many Crowded House songs will the audience go for without going on bathroom break?

And who will front the band? Stevie I guess. So it's basically her solo tour. Didn't Mick play on one of her tours? So now add John. Chris will end up as something of a guest soloist. Since most of her songs are like 3 minutes long, even if she plays a dozen of them that's just 30+ minutes. Will Stevie take up all the rest of that time?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
And who will front the band? Stevie I guess. So it's basically her solo tour. Didn't Mick play on one of her tours? So now add John. Chris will end up as something of a guest soloist. Since most of her songs are like 3 minutes long, even if she plays a dozen of them that's just 30+ minutes. Will Stevie take up all the rest of that time?
I would assume that yes, Stevie will essentially be the leader of the live shows. I can't imagine how they will retool the shows to be honest. Lindsey was the musical director so someone else is going to have to take over that role, setup the shows, the setlist, the arrangements, and so on. If they just note for note replicate what the band has been doing since 1997 and insert new voice and guitars trying to replicate Lindsey's work, then they are even more pathetic than I already thought.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Inspirer: Fleetwood Mac Blindsides Lindsey Buckingham With Firing

i have to say this is interesting and not a little bit shocking.

as far as i know Inspirer has been heavily Stevie-worshiping publication since its inception. over time it morphed into a magazine promoting successes of women, in music and beyond. i would usually skip any of their SN-related articles, but really enjoyed some of the interviews with strong, successful women, and i love that they have been women-focused for several years now.

http://inspirer.life/home/2018/04/fl...and-neil-finn/

MUSIC Fleetwood Mac Blindsides Lindsey Buckingham With Firing, Adds Mike Campbell and Neil Finn

By Desarae Gabrielle
Published on April 13, 2018 SHARE TWEET COMMENT

Always known for their outlandish drama, Fleetwood Mac did not disappoint when news came to light last Monday that vocalist and lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham was fired by the band. The rumours of Buckingham’s forced departure began circulating in February, shortly after the bands iconic honor and performance at the MusiCares Grammy week event in New York. The decision to fire Buckingham was made on the heels of the event, completely blindsiding the guitarist who was the creative key in molding the bands revolutionary and progressive sound with albums like Tusk (1979) and Tango in the Night (1987).

Buckingham’s work with the band began in December 1974; Mick Fleetwood asked the California native to join the band when former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch departed. Buckingham agreed to join under the condition his then-girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, enter the band with him. Fleetwood agreed and extended the offer to the Buckingham Nicks duo, auditions unnecessary. The additions of Nicks and Buckingham propelled the former blues band to superstardom with album Rumours (1977), which centered around the dramatic breakup of the two lovers as well as the crumbling marriage of Christine and John McVie.

Stevie Nicks’ influence, incredible writing and popularity is undeniable, but Buckingham’s contributions to the band can’t be ignored and are just as vital to the success of the band. On various occasions, the musician morphed his solo work into hits for the British-American group. In ’85, Buckingham began work on a new solo project, during this time vocalist and keyboardist Christine McVie was asked to do a cover of the Elvis Presley hit “Can’t Help Falling in Love” for the soundtrack on the film “A Fine Mess.” Buckingham, Fleetwood and John McVie collaborated with Christine on the track. The collaboration led the fivesome, including Nicks, to work together once more on Fleetwood Mac’s 14th studio album, Tango in the Night. Much of Buckingham’s solo work at the time transformed into this Fleetwood Mac project and featured the eccentric musician playing every instrument on several tracks. Tango in the Night became the bands biggest album since Rumours. Following its release, Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac for personal reasons, citing turmoil in the band with ex-girlfriend Stevie Nicks, and lack of room for creative growth.

Once more, Buckingham began solo work for his Gift of Screws album in ’95, Buckingham invited Fleetwood to contribute drum work on the album. Over time, additional members of Fleetwood Mac were invited to sit in on the recording session including Nicks, John and Christine; the chemistry was palpable and soon reunion plans were in motion. The long-sought and awaited reunion of Fleetwood Mac produced the fifth best-selling live album of all time in the United States, The Dance, which featured new tracks from McVie, Nicks and Buckingham. Buckingham’s track, “Bleed to Love Her” was an unreleased solo track featured on the live album; the track eventually was released on Fleetwood Mac’s Say You Will (2003) album — the first album to feature Buckingham as a full-time member since his departure. Say You Will was the first Fleetwood Mac album to enter the top 3 in the United States since Mirage (1982), but also saw the loss of crucial female member, Christine McVie. Christine, who parted with the band after The Dance, was only featured on two tracks — which were previously recorded with Buckingham for a solo project, not for Fleetwood Mac. Say You Will is now the last album recorded by Fleetwood Mac by the “Rumours 5.” Since the release and subsequent tour of project Say You Will, Fleetwood Mac has taken to the road touring as a Greatest Hits band, only releasing a 4-song EP in 2013 without any promotion or backing from a record company. The EP featured Buckingham Nicks era song, “Without You,” as well as three new additional songs written by Buckingham, including “Sad Angel”, “Miss Fantasy,” and “It Takes Time” — a track which simply features Buckingham playing piano accompanied by his vocals. Mick Fleetwood shocked fans in 2014 when he announced Christine McVie would be re-joining Fleetwood Mac on their next world tour. The reunion tour of the “Rumours 5” sold out in minutes, proving the Rumours era lineup’s popularity and power in the rock and roll landscape.

Christine’s re-involvement in the band led to Buckingham’s piqued interest in new material. In 2015, Nicks stated the band had a lot of material for a new album, leading fans to believe the “Rumours 5” would reunite once more on a record. Instead, Nicks decided to pursue a solo tour with the Pretenders, which was a success for both Nicks and Chrissie Hynde. Because of Nicks’ lack of involvement and commitment, the project was turned into a duo album featuring Buckingham and Christine McVie. In 2017, Buckingham and McVie released the self-titled album, the record featured Mick Fleetwood and John McVie but was not advertised as a Fleetwood Mac project. The album produced critical acclaim for the new material from both Buckingham and McVie, and saw the new duo across the United States on a modest and well-received tour. Both Buckingham and McVie’s chemistry and sound was reminiscent of the Fleetwood Mac lore fans fell in love with in the ’70s.

In mid-2017 an announcement was made that Fleetwood Mac was chosen as the first band to be honored as 2018’s Person of the Year by MusiCares, an event that took place a few days before the Grammys. Singers Miley Cyrus, Lorde, Brandi Carlisle and more took to the stage to honor the band, performing hits like “Landslide,” and “Silver Springs.” Harry Styles joined Fleetwood Mac for a performance of “The Chain,” which will now be the bands last ever performance of the ironic song featuring Buckingham. During the event, members of Fleetwood Mac gave a speech stressing the respect and love they have for one another, calling each member of the band “family,” a dysfunctional family albeit. Given the bands tone and overall messaging of their speeches, Buckingham’s subsequent firing after the event is completely out of left-field and a devastating blow to music fans who were looking forward to seeing all 5 on their upcoming tour. When Buckingham’s firing was announced by media outlets, it was apparent that Fleetwood Mac was not ready to go public with the news, quickly issuing a haphazard statement announcing Buckingham’s replacements — Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn of Crowded House. Both men are revolutionary performers, but as social media backlash from fans informs — they aren’t Buckingham. It’s unclear how the band’s new lineup plans to move forward amidst such turmoil and uncertainty from their fans. One thing is for certain though, Fleetwood Mac fans are more loyal to the band than the band is to one another.

Fleetwood Mac broke the chain while putting their kingdom up for sale, and now we’re left to pick up the pieces and go home.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The title of this article is totally misleading. The fans are blindsided, not Lindsey.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
The title of this article is totally misleading. The fans are blindsided, not Lindsey.
This press for this tour is going to be interesting. It's good to be John McVie. The other 3 are going to have to rehearse their schtick. I wonder if that will prompt Lindsey to speak out. I think I read somewhere "his" people are referring all inquiries to the band.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm confused: you talked to Lindsey and he told you he was completely expecting to be fired?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'm confused: you talked to Lindsey and he told you he was completely expecting to be fired?

Yeah, Elle. He and I talked about it at brunch the other day.

To me, "blindsided" indicates it was total surprise, no reason, no discussion whatsoever.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
There's probably going to be a lot of different stories and claims going around in the following weeks about this. To me (and I know I've said this before) I think it's not that much more complicated than a business/scheduling conflict that just went south. There was undoubtably a lot of shadiness and more than one person being stubborn and difficult, it ended up like this and it just shouldn't have happened.

Honestly, what band member has put more hard work into the band than Lindsey? I don't doubt he could make things hell, especially back in the day, but really, he did SO much for the band, whether he liked it or not. He doesn't deserve this.
This!

Why is it so hard for people to believe that’s all that happened? Why Lindsey should have done something really really bad for it to end the way it did? They just pulled the plug and didn’t care about fans at all.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Elle. He and I talked about it at brunch the other day.

To me, "blindsided" indicates it was total surprise, no reason, no discussion whatsoever.
yup. you don't think it was total surprise to him?

i would think he (like the rest of them for that matter), has got a contract and probably owns a part of FM corporation, and can't really even be fired. which must have been a big frustration to other band members, once they talked to the lawyers and figured that out after telling him that they ousted him.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
This!

Why is it so hard for people to believe that’s all that happened? Why Lindsey should have done something really really bad for it to end the way it did? They just pulled the plug and didn’t care about fans at all.
not just fans. also their own jobbing musicians who are not millionaires but actually live of that work. they couldn't care less about screwing them up, obviously.

from Rick Turner's post, it is clear that 2 months ago, people like Neale and Brett could have counted on getting the double income for the same time spent on the road. Lindsey is a multimillionaire, and while it would have been nice and convenient for him to have some of the solo tour expenses (i have to guess like travel and lodging and whatever per diem they do) covered by Fleetwood Mac, which would enable him to comfortably bring solo tour around the world, he'll be fine. he'll be also getting royalties if FM playes some of his songs. but it seems very clear these guys are getting screwed out of half of the income they counted on having in the second part of this year. you know FM won't accommodate them to do both tours now. it sucks.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I would assume that yes, Stevie will essentially be the leader of the live shows. I can't imagine how they will retool the shows to be honest. Lindsey was the musical director so someone else is going to have to take over that role, setup the shows, the setlist, the arrangements, and so on. If they just note for note replicate what the band has been doing since 1997 and insert new voice and guitars trying to replicate Lindsey's work, then they are even more pathetic than I already thought.
By the tenth show Mick and Stevie will be begging for a new musical director.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.