Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Christine Perfect Complete Blue Horizon Sessions

Finally!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00122M1TS?...QH7BKANSZ2A5W&

Yay!

John
Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sweet! But where's all the Christine fans to greet this news?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've seen 2 track lists for this that both exclude I Would Rather Go Blind:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Blu.../dp/B00122M1TS

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3593...searchsource=0

Was that a re-make or just the Chicken Shack single added to the album?

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 01-30-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Sweet! But where's all the Christine fans to greet this news?
I'm here! I'm here!

Seriously, this is cool. I wish there were tracks I didn't already possess. Does anyone know if there are at least cool pics and liner notes inside?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM

yeah i got all this stuff... where's the fm stuff... there should be more here..... double disc....

but hey... i love the cover
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

(I wouldn't have thought of looking for Christine Perfect...)

Last edited by Betsy; 01-30-2008 at 11:22 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, John! I never would have known that this is coming. It looks like this is everything from the Christine Perfect album, except "I'd Rather Go Blind"(which was really a Chicken Shack song) plus the "Too Far Gone" single(which is different from the album version) plus the Christine Perfect band songs from that Madison Blues box set. I'll still buy it anyway, since there may be some interesting liner notes & new pictures. That Chicken Shack box set had both. I LOVE the album cover, by the way. It's been quite a few years since I bought any Christine/Fleetwood Mac related commercial release & it's not really all that expensive anyway, so I'm ready for this!

Last edited by macfan 57; 01-31-2008 at 07:18 AM..
Old 01-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What a shame this comp doesn't have "I'd Rather Go Blind," which was Christine Perfect's greatest hit. It seems like a real disservice to fans to exclude this song ... and how can they get away with using the word "complete" in the title without this track??

When I saw the title of this I thought it might include her Chicken Shack songs as well, but no such luck.

This comp looks like a typical record industry ploy to milk more income out of a cash cow. They know people like MacFan (and me) will buy it for the packaging. But wouldn't more folks buy it FOR THE MUSIC if it included everything it should?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
What a shame this comp doesn't have "I'd Rather Go Blind," which was Christine Perfect's greatest hit. It seems like a real disservice to fans to exclude this song ... and how can they get away with using the word "complete" in the title without this track??

When I saw the title of this I thought it might include her Chicken Shack songs as well, but no such luck.

This comp looks like a typical record industry ploy to milk more income out of a cash cow. They know people like MacFan (and me) will buy it for the packaging. But wouldn't more folks buy it FOR THE MUSIC if it included everything it should?
Well, to be fair, the Chicken Shack compilation features that song, and if you're a Chris fan that two-disc set is definitely worth getting for all of her great Chicken Shack songs, plus her very impressive piano playing on many of the Webb tunes.

On another note, I was wondering however what Christine thinks about this release. We know she feels her Christine Perfect album is "the worst thing I've ever done." And even in 1976, when it was reissued by Sire, she said she just wished it would go away. Given that she's in England now and this reissue can't possibly escape her, I wonder if she was interviewed for the liner notes...

Here's hoping.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

On another note, I was wondering however what Christine thinks about this release. We know she feels her Christine Perfect album is "the worst thing I've ever done." And even in 1976, when it was reissued by Sire, she said she just wished it would go away. Given that she's in England now and this reissue can't possibly escape her, I wonder if she was interviewed for the liner notes...

Here's hoping.
Well it's available on Amazon here in the UK so she might well find out that it has come back to haunt her - again!

I've got all the songs but I may well give this a go - given that she probably needs the royalties and all

Gail
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I figured the tracklisting would be something like that, I too think it was right to keep I'd Rather Go Blind on the Shack's CBHS since that's really all it was, was the same version and it just confused things having a CS recording on a Chris solo album, I could see if they re-cut it but...

Anyways, I didn't know about the single version of I'm Too Far Gone being different so that'll be a nice treat. I'm surprised they've used those BBC tracks from the FM Madison Blues set as well, if the idea is "Blue Horizon" tracks...

The crown jewel here I guess will be the studio take of Tell Me You Need Me which we got a snippet of when all this stuff surfaced a few years ago regarding Vernon reissuing all the BH stuff. It did seem at the time like they might have studio takes of Gone Into The Sun et all too but I guess not.

Maybe because the CBHS sets I've bought have been of artists that have since passed (Eddie Boyd, Duster Bennett, Otis Spann, etc.) but if the liner notes to those are any indication I don't think Chris will be part of the liners, at least not new interviews, they might dig up old ones to excerpt, though we might be surprised (I'll have to check the CS one to see if Stan was involved in those notes as PG was with the FM one), on the other hand like some of you have said, maybe she wouldn't want to be a part of it if asked!

This is obviously the last hurrah for this album though since it's the complete session recordings that have existed, so at least she won't have people like us hounding her with questions about "any more tracks existing from THOSE sessions?" anymore so she might say "oh all right then!"

John
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bear with me....I am naive...a real kindergartener here among college kids...

I have never heard a Chicken Shack song. Where would I go to hear one? (I pre-ordered the one this thread talks about.)

Then when I did a search on Amazon.com for Chicken Shack...I got lots of choices....but which one to buy?

Suggestions???
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post

Maybe because the CBHS sets I've bought have been of artists that have since passed (Eddie Boyd, Duster Bennett, Otis Spann, etc.) but if the liner notes to those are any indication I don't think Chris will be part of the liners, at least not new interviews, they might dig up old ones to excerpt, though we might be surprised (I'll have to check the CS one to see if Stan was involved in those notes as PG was with the FM one), on the other hand like some of you have said, maybe she wouldn't want to be a part of it if asked!

John
Knowing how she feels about the CP album, I don't think there's any chance that she'd contribute to the liner notes. Mike Vernon wrote the liner notes for the Chicken Shack box set. He did mention talking to Andy Sylvester, but I don't believe Stan Webb, and definitely not Christine. Those liner notes are fantastic. They give a great history of Chicken Shack, quite a bit of which I never knew & there were some great new pictures that I'd never seen before. I think if Mike Vernon has anything to do with this Christine Perfect compilation, any liner notes should be very good.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
Bear with me....I am naive...a real kindergartener here among college kids...

I have never heard a Chicken Shack song. Where would I go to hear one? (I pre-ordered the one this thread talks about.)

Then when I did a search on Amazon.com for Chicken Shack...I got lots of choices....but which one to buy?

Suggestions???
I'd say the Chicken Shack Complete Blue Horizon Sessions. This includes everything Chicken Shack ever recorded on the Blue Horizon label, including both studio albums plus all the singles. It also includes stuff after Christine left Chicken Shack, although I've never actually listened to those later tracks. You might want to add this to your pre-order:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Horiz...867108&sr=1-18
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine recorded just two albums with Chicken Shack, 'OK Ken' and '40 Blue Fingers, Freshly Packed And Ready To Serve' (now THERE's a title). Avoid anything recorded by the band after she left! They were pretty horrible without her. Stan Webb, the guitarist/vocalist, had a screechy way of singing (and sometimes his guitar style was similar). I am a real fan of '60s British blues, but unfortunately Chicken Shack is only memorable for Christine's contribution. Some of Stan's tracks feature great piano by Chris but I have to listen selectively -- I try to listen to just the piano and not the vocals or guitar. It's something of a challenge.

As for the Christine Perfect album, has Chris ever said WHY she dislikes it? It's my guess that to Chris' later, more polished ear, it sounds unfinished. It sounds like a collection of demos. There's no doubletracking of vocals or even instruments. It sounds like a raw collection of live-in-the-studio recordings. And ironically, this is one of the reasons why I like it so much -- the same reason (if my guess is correct) Chris doesn't like it.