User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
And sending her the bill for the landscaping...

There's an interview from around the BTM era when Chris did say that she was obsessed with Dennis at the time. That might explain it a bit.

By the way, there is a previously unseen picture of Chris & Dennis in the booklet of the new release & Chris is mentioned in the liner notes. The album itself, Pacific Ocean Blue is terrific!
I'm not wild about his voice, but I agree the album is strong.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe View Post
I hardly think that meeting Christine and hanging with the Mac launched him into the world of cocaine use/abuse.
Me neither! the bloke was insane. I still for the life of me cannot think why Christine was even with him in the first place.

Gail
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe View Post
Fleetwood Mac introduced him to cocaine? Oh please! Dennis was WILD! The guy hooked up with some of the Manson girls back in the day and then graciously paid their doctors' bills for all the STD's they'd swapped! I hardly think that meeting Christine and hanging with the Mac launched him into the world of cocaine use/abuse.
I believe Manson may have even lived in Dennis' home for a time, along with a few of the girls. Beyond even that, Dennis recorded music with Charles Manson. There is a Beach Boy song entitled "Never Learn Not to Love", which evolved from a song called "Cease to Exist", the latter of which was written by Dennis and Manson. From what I read, Manson was not pleased with the changes that Dennis made to the song. I'm not entirely sure if Dennis was a potential target for murder at the time of the Tate/LaBianca murders or just still somewhat on the radar of the clan having recently severed ties, but Terry Melcher, who was involved in producing Dennis and Manson's music, was a target to be murdered. Manson went to Melcher's home only to find out he no longer lived there and soon after committed the infamous Tate murders in that house.

Last edited by bucklind17; 07-07-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, for a time Wilson had the Manson clan bunking with him. He was leasing a house and he moved out and left it to a someone else to evict the Manson clan. He did introduce Manson to a number of record industry types, including Melcher, whose house Tate was leasing (Melcher and his then girlfriend Candy Bergin had moved to Malibu).
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not that anybody cares, but somebody gave a sealed copy of this album to Robert Pollard at Heedfest (a big party for Guided by Voices fans) a couple of weeks ago. Oddly, I caught a little **** after I pointed out Chris was on the record.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Not that anybody cares, but somebody gave a sealed copy of this album to Robert Pollard at Heedfest (a big party for Guided by Voices fans) a couple of weeks ago. Oddly, I caught a little **** after I pointed out Chris was on the record.
Why did you catch hell Steve?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Guy Blackman
July 11, 2008

FEW would dispute that Brian Wilson is the genius of the Beach Boys. Hits such as Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice, the Pet Sounds album and the ill-fated Smile have cemented his reputation as a madcap maestro. But for at least a decade the Beach Boys had another, far more unlikely genius in drummer Dennis, the troubled middle Wilson brother.

In the early days, Dennis was the band's sex object, an unruly blond Adonis whose drumming was so rudimentary he was replaced by session musicians on many Beach Boys hits. The only one who could actually surf, Dennis was included in the band by his brothers (and cousin Mike Love) as a link to the surf culture they claimed to represent.

But a few years later, when the Beach Boys' well of hits had dried up and Brian had retreated into a world of paranoia, confusion and hamburgers, Dennis emerged to keep the family flame burning. From the late 1960s onwards, until being derailed by drug and alcohol abuse in the late '70s, Dennis wrote some of the most luminous and beautiful music the Beach Boys ever recorded.

Tracks such as Forever, Cuddle Up and Little Bird, hidden away on little-known Beach Boys albums, are filled with a yearning majesty and emotional openness that has rarely been matched. Dennis opened his heart to reveal depths of feeling that shocked those around him.

Then, with Pacific Ocean Blue in 1977, Dennis went one step further, becoming the first Beach Boy to release a solo album. Although critically well received at the time, this flawed but often astonishing album languished as a vinyl-only collector's item for decades, but it has been reissued as a two-CD collection with a cornucopia of bonus material.

By 1977, however, Dennis' voice was no longer the pure, clear wonder of a decade earlier. Cigarettes and liquor had rendered him choked and growling, although perhaps all the more soulful for it.

Still, it's the strongest solo album any Beach Boy ever released, including everything Brian has done since. Despite the at times dated production, songs such as Dreamer and Time retain a revelatory power and directness that is pure Dennis Wilson.

Dennis later worked on a follow-up titled Bambu, but his hard-living ways got the better of him and the record was shelved (luckily, much of it turns up here as bonus tracks on the second disc). As was his older brother, Dennis was a tortured and contradictory figure, touched not by Brian's madness but an equally self-destructive appetite for drink and drugs that would eventually kill him. This impulse towards extreme experience also saw Dennis hook up with Charles Manson in the late '60s, living and recording with Manson and his family until just months before the Sharon Tate murders.

But as the '70s came to an end, his recklessness began to catch up with him � constantly fired and rehired by the Beach Boys, checking into rehab only to check out a few days later, falling in and out of relationships (including trysts with Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie, model Karen Lamm, and even bandmate Mike Love's illegitimate daughter Shawn). Fittingly, he met his end in the ocean, drowning at Los Angeles' Marina Del Rey on December 28, 1983, while diving to retrieve photos and other personal items thrown off his long-repossessed yacht Harmony.

This is the paradox and the eternal appeal of Dennis Wilson. A rock'n'roll animal who remained faithful to his four wives by only letting groupies give him oral sex, a man who smashed his fist through a glass window and so couldn't play drums for three years, Dennis was also, in front of a piano, transcendent, pure and sublime.

"He is a multifaceted jewel," McVie told People magazine in 1979, unwittingly speaking for everyone who has been touched by his extraordinary music. "Dennis has made me feel extremes of every emotion. Dennis has thrown me in the deep end, literally and figuratively."

Pacific Ocean Blue is reissued by Sony BMG on July 19.

http://www.watoday.com.au/news/music...658007315.html
Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's been a lot in the news about one of the Charles Manson murderer's, Susan Atkins, who is near death in California. In reading one of the articles, it mentioned Dennis Wilson again. It's chilling how close Dennis came to this grusome gang. One website names the two girls that Dennis met (picked up) as he drove along the road--one of them was none other than Patricia Krenwinkle, one of the prime killers in the so called Tate & LaBianca murders:

In 1967 Ella Jo Bailey and Susan Atkins were living in a commune in San Francisco. It was there that they met Manson and decided to leave the commune and join the Manson Family. During that year she travelled around the southwest with Manson, Mary Brunner, Patricia Krenwinkel and Lynne Fromme, until they moved to the Spahn Ranch in 1968.

Not much has been written about Bailey, other than it was Bailey along with Patricia Krenwinkel who were hitchhiking in Malibu, California when picked up by Beach Boys' Dennis Wilson. This meeting was the jumpstart in the Family's relationship with the famous musician.

Bailey stayed with the Family up until murder became part Manson's agenda. After the murder of Donald "Shorty" Shea Bailey left the group and later testified for the people during the Hinman murder trial.

http://crime.about.com/od/murder/ig/...lajobailey.htm
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thursday, July 17, 2008

A thirty year anniversary edition of Dennis Wilson's 1977 recording Pacific Ocean Blue was recently released. The first solo recording released by a member of the Beach Boys, the record has advocates who believe it as good as any solo recordings by his more famous older brother, Brian Wilson. That's likely a minority view, but the tracks do capture the ebullient, soulful Dennis away from the Boys and grabbing a little spotlight for himself. Seemingly influenced by Brian's approach in the studio, the recordings sport a full, layered sound very much of its time, but with enduring appeal. The reissue contains lot of pictures, an essay by Ben Edmonds, and a second disc of music, Dennis's unfinished project, Bambu.

Wilson's tragically short life, tempestuous relationships (Christine McVie), bad decisions (the Manson connection), and his epic carousing have made him a symbol of rock excess for many. This sensitive reissue allows those interested in the era, the Beach Boys and Dennis himself to hear the music for themselves.
Read more:
Dumb Angel: The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson by Adam Webb

http://hbplmusic.blogspot.com/2008/0...cean-blue.html
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
A thirty year anniversary edition of Dennis Wilson's 1977 recording Pacific Ocean Blue was recently released. The first solo recording released by a member of the Beach Boys, the record has advocates who believe it as good as any solo recordings by his more famous older brother, Brian Wilson. That's likely a minority view, but the tracks do capture the ebullient, soulful Dennis away from the Boys and grabbing a little spotlight for himself. Seemingly influenced by Brian's approach in the studio, the recordings sport a full, layered sound very much of its time, but with enduring appeal. The reissue contains lot of pictures, an essay by Ben Edmonds, and a second disc of music, Dennis's unfinished project, Bambu.

Wilson's tragically short life, tempestuous relationships (Christine McVie), bad decisions (the Manson connection), and his epic carousing have made him a symbol of rock excess for many. This sensitive reissue allows those interested in the era, the Beach Boys and Dennis himself to hear the music for themselves.
Read more:
Dumb Angel: The Life and Music of Dennis Wilson by Adam Webb

http://hbplmusic.blogspot.com/2008/0...cean-blue.html
cool thanks!!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine ... McVie
Mistine ... ChrickVie

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wilson's talent sings forth on 'Pacific' re-release
By Patrick Kampert | Chicago Tribune reporter
July 20, 2008

When Beach Boys fans think of the waning days of the original group, one of the painful memories is that of late drummer Dennis Wilson shambling drunkenly onstage during encores in the early '80s to croak out the Joe Cocker hit "You Are So Beautiful" (Wilson was purportedly an uncredited co-writer of the song) in a voice ravaged by self-destruction.

That's an image that close friends of the musician hope to tone down with the lovingly assembled special edition of "Pacific Ocean Blue," Wilson's re-released 1977 solo album that surprisingly debuted at No. 8 on Billboard's July 5 Internet music chart. The success has Wilson's backers mulling a second release, a retrospective of his work with the Beach Boys and other unreleased tracks.

"I think it's one of the most truthful statements by an artist," said Jon Stebbins, Wilson's biographer (the just-revised "The Real Beach Boy") who co-wrote the liner notes for "Pacific Ocean Blue." "It seems like he kind of bled onto the tape."

The music on "POB" is vaguely reminiscent of the Beach Boys—especially the stacked harmonies on "River Song" and "Rainbows"—but at times is a funky stew laden with horns ("Friday Night") and brooding piano ballads. It's alternately visceral and meditative. You'll hear very little of Wilson on the drums. He's mainly hunkered down at the keyboard looking for just the right sound. If it was a more instinctive hunt than the cerebral genius of brother Brian Wilson, it was not without touches of brilliance.

"Dennis was kind of like Brian. He used the studio like an instrument," said Gregg Jakobson, who co-produced "POB" and co-wrote many songs with Wilson.

The package also includes a second disc of Wilson's incomplete second album, "Bambu," which was mixed and readied by three friends who encouraged Wilson in his creative '70s period: producers James William Guercio and Gregg Jakobson, and engineer/producer John Hanlon, who continues to co-produce projects for Neil Young and has worked with R.E.M. as well.

One track, "Holy Man," features new vocals by the Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins. Another version of "Holy Man" with the re-formed Queen, has been released in England.

Beyond such nods at 21st Century rock, the new release was a fiercely personal project for Guercio, who played guitar for Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention and whose production touch helped sell millions for Chicago, the Buckinghams and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

"People didn't appreciate how far this guy could have gone," Guercio said from his Colorado office.

Wilson had asked Guercio to come aboard the Beach Boys' bandwagon in the mid-'70s to manage the group (and occasionally play bass guitar onstage). He encouraged Wilson's songwriting and has remained friends with the family even after he stepped down from managing them. Wilson's younger brother, the angelic-voiced Carl, bought a home next to Guercio's ranch in Colorado. In December 1983, Dennis Wilson was supposed to join his brother, their mom, Audree, their aunt and Guercio's family for Christmas. The family and Guercio planned to get Wilson into a rehab facility after the holidays. He called on Christmas Eve and told Guercio and his disappointed family that he wasn't coming that day but would be there by New Year's Day. He didn't make it, drowning Dec. 28 while diving for mementos at the spot where his repossessed boat once docked.

"I was in the process of an intervention," Guercio said, then paused. "I had to go over to Carl's house and tell his mom."

Carl Wilson died of brain and lung cancer in 1998. Three years ago, at the wedding of Carl's son Justyn, Guercio made the decision to bring the music of Justyn's Uncle Dennis back into the public eye.

"I felt it was important to his children and to his family," said Guercio, who bankrolled the project as well. "From that day on, it was, 'Forget business. We're going to figure this out.' "

It wasn't a simple process, said Billy Hinsche, longtime Beach Boys sideman and a Wilson in-law who sang on both "POB" and "Bambu."

"Just getting 'Pacific Ocean Blue' re-released was very complicated. [One question was] who owns it? There are four different record companies on the cover."

Hinsche formed the pop trio Dino, Desi and Billy with the sons of Dean Martin and Desi Arnaz in the mid-'60s and enjoyed some brief pop success. He was all of 13 when the group joined the Beach Boys as an opening act. Hinsche's dad, Otto, nicknamed "Pop," pulled Dennis Wilson aside before the tour and asked the drummer to look after his son on the road. Perhaps because Dennis and Carl were teens themselves when stardom engulfed them, Hinsche found an immediate kinship with the brothers. Hinsche's sister Annie eventually married Carl.

Dennis Wilson formed a close bond with Pop Hinsche, and the wrenching and touching "Farewell My Friend" on "POB" was written to mourn the passing of Pop. Earlier this year, Hinsche completed a film documentary about his close friend, "Dennis Wilson Forever," that was picked up by Sony BMG for distribution in the United Kingdom.

"One of the things I wanted to accomplish with my movie was to show the creative, tender side of Dennis," he said. "God knows we've got enough of the stories about Dennis' wild side."

If "Bambu" shows Wilson rocking harder than on "POB," it also continues to flesh out that tender side. "Piano Variations on Thoughts of You" and "It's Not Too Late" sound like pleas, showing again that Wilson was the true romantic in the family. The latter also features one of the last true collaborations with his brother Carl, who was making an effort to clean up his life even as Dennis' was becoming unmoored.

The hints are in the increasingly rough-hewn vocals that sound more gravelly than Randy Newman's and much lower than his smoother efforts on Beach Boys tunes such as "Slip On Through" and "Be Still."

"Bambu" fell apart when Dennis and Carl were forced to sell Brother Studios, where "POB" was recorded and where Dennis spent most of his waking hours. Now, to continue his music, he would have to book time at unfamiliar studios and carry all his tapes around.

"It was not the same," said Jakobson. "It was like he was a homeless guy."

Added Stebbins: "His prolific nature pretty much ended at that point. He had more time to be doing the things that probably were not that healthy, as opposed to having a studio 24/7, which kept him focused and kept him motivated."

Wilson also lived with Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie around that time, and the proliferation of drugs in the Mac circle during that "Tusk" period was no secret. Even after the couple broke up, Wilson's "downward spiral," as Jakobson called it, continued. The Beach Boys banned him from touring and cut off his paychecks as a desperate "tough love" treatment, but it didn't work. The sad ending helped to obscure a pop composer on the rise.

"It was very hard to go through some of these tracks," Guercio said. "The tragedy is that which could have been."

pkampert@tribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,3855378.story