The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Now my thoughts are clearer.
The things that I like the most about this new series (for now) is that it heavily hints, both with the style and the plot, to the first season Murder House. The stripped down ambient, the tension, the dark atmosphere, the suspance rather than the gore, but also the couple that just lost a baby, the hunted house, the targeted wife... It could have been boring but I found that the mockumentary approach makes this similarities more interesting and lays the ground for eventual insights on season 1.

The Roanoke story that is recounted by Sarah Paulson/Billie Dean Howard in the 11th episode of Murder House gives us the incipit of all:
"It’s difficult to banish a spirit, but not impossible. The most successful attempt I know of happened when America was known as the new world.
In 1590, on the coast of what we now know as North Carolina, the entire colony of Roanoke—all 117 men, women, and children—died inexplicably. It became known as the ghost colony because the spirits remained. They haunted the native tribes living in the surrounding areas. Killing indiscriminately.
The elder knew he had to act. He cast a banishment curse. First he collected the personal belongings of all the dead colonists. Then they burned them. The ghosts appeared, summoned by their talismans. But before the spirits could cause them any more harm, the elder completed the curse that would banish the ghosts forever.
By uttering a single word. The same word found carved on a post at the abandoned colony. “Croatoan.”"

And also the pigheaded man we see made me think of "Piggy Man" from the the 6th episode of Murder House.
While the acting is superb like always, one of the few nitpicks that I have is the fact that the main couple isn't very interesting for now, but I particularly loved Angela Bassett, her character for now is the most well-rounded. However I appreciated that Sarah Paulson's character ran away, it's the first time in this series that a character doesn't do what is most expected to an horror movie character.
I also like Kathy Bates, this kind of evil, ominous character suits her better than those previously given to her, but I need to see more of her to know.

The closing scene was a bit strange to me, even if not necessarily in a bad way, but it reminded me of some 80s horror movie, maybe The Evil Dead or something by David Cronenberg.
As always, I miss Jessica Lange but in this series there isn't really a role for her, at least for now. If Ryan Murphy had set up the fifth season like this one, we wouldn't have lamented her departure so much.
I also miss a little the glorious theme titles but with this mockumentary style it works better without.

Now the things I ask myself: with this set-up it may look sure that the narrating protagonists are alive, but what if they are not? What if we discover, much like the first season again, that they are in fact tangible ghosts like those in the Murder House that are telling their stories?
And the redneck that wanted to buy the house and said that it was underpriced because of "hurricanes" knew more than they let it show and wanted to buy it for sinister reasons?

And about the promo for the next episode, I think I may have seen a glimpse of a dirty, frenzied Lady Gaga next to Kathy Bates during the ritual fragment:

Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was finally able to watch the new episode over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Like SisterNightroad said, the stripped down style is totally refreshing after the past couple of seasons. I totally dig the true crime documentary style, too. Just for comparison sake, I rewatched a Hotel episode afterwards and was struck by just how style-over-substance Hotel is compared to this new episode.

Having lived half of my life in North Carolina, I'm also beyond thrilled this season is exploring the story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke, too. It's so eerie and haunting how the entire colony disappeared without a trace. It's one of history's greatest mysteries, and I'm so glad to see Hollywood tackling the subject. I'm so excited about this season I'm not even letting the blatant geography errors in the show bug me!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Louie. Asylum was the best!

But seriously, it was, for me. Hotel was dreadul, and Coven was neither horror or even really that witchy. I haven't watched Freak Show yet. Season 1 was good, but I think the haunted house theme has been done better in the movies.

I am looking forward to season 6. Not sure when I'll watch it, though.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Oh, Louie. Asylum was the best!

But seriously, it was, for me. Hotel was dreadul, and Coven was neither horror or even really that witchy. I haven't watched Freak Show yet. Season 1 was good, but I think the haunted house theme has been done better in the movies.

I am looking forward to season 6. Not sure when I'll watch it, though.
Asylum was the most cohesive IMHO. Really well done, good pacing, acting on point, well plotted.

Highlight of Coven was Stevie. I love love love Jessica Lange though. All of her roles are great, but I think she was best in the first two seasons where she wasn't the protagonist and really had a chance to shine.

Truthfully you're not missing much with Freak Show. It was too much about cameos and atmosphere without much actual story. I'm also not a fan of all the seasons connecting. I'd much rather leave some things to the imagination.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
Truthfully you're not missing much with Freak Show. It was too much about cameos and atmosphere without much actual story.
I was able to watch the first three episodes. And then I cancelled our cable subscription and was unable to finish the season. I plan to watch it completely from the start again, eventually, but I'm just not much of a TV person in general. But I will - I remember that dang clown - the horror of that clown.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What did y'all think of Episode 2? "Murder" is the word they wrote? Hope it all comes full circle 'cause I wasn't into that personally.

I thought it was a'ight but not as good as Season 1.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:08 PM

This second episode wasn't as good as the first but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think. The scares were there, and they were good scares. The plot is still pretty tight, something that didn't happen for the last 2 series.
Kathy Bates' character, "the butcher" is intriguing even if the cleaver is starting to be repetitive. I concede that some things were already seen. The MURDER concept was a bit strained, but it was very well acted and atmospheric so I didn't mind too much.
The acting of Cuba Gooding Jr was a pleasant surprise for me, I didn't know he is that capable since I'd just seen him on a couple of chick flicks.
I loved Denis O' Hare. And Did anyone else notice that the shelves of the shelter he lived in were exactly the same shown during the opening theme of Murder house?
And wasn't Lady Gaga the frenzied woman that was near Kathy Bates during the ritual? I like her more like this than the coat-hanger she was in Hotel.
Evan Peters was also credited in the episode but I didn't see him, did anyone catch him?

Brad Falchuck and Ryan Murphy said a few days ago on EW that from ep. 6 onward the season will be turned upside down and a lot of old characters will return, the Mott family over all.
I'm starting to believe that the documentary we are seeing could be in reality a recording left by the protagonists to warn the following owners of the house.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How do y'all like the new psychics character? He'll be back... Great episode 3.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:12 PM

Nathan, I have just one thing to say both for Cricket and Prof. Elias: New fave=Instant kill. Seriously it's like watching Game of Thrones.

Finally I got the time and I actually remembered about the last new episodes. First of all, I really liked them.

I've seen some articles online this time around that had some interesting theories.
The first is that, since Ryan Murphy stated that this series will change drastically from episode 6, and we already know from some leaked pictures from the set that the 4th wall will be broken then, it could be that after the 6th episode we will finally have our opening theme.
The second is that every episode of this season until now had a connection with the AHS season with the corresponding number, and from the 6th episode the real 6th season will begin and its real theme will be revealed. Obviously the most obvious connections were the story of the couple moving to a new house to overcome a miscarriage in the 1st episode, the theme of abusive treatment by the nurses in the 2nd episode and the magic and paranormal theme brought by the psychic in the 3rd. But I had seen in episode 3 that there was a precise and "blink and you'll miss it" clue: Cricket the medium affirmed to have been arrived from New Orleans, the city of season 3, Coven. And in this last 4th episode the mysteriously disappeared constructor of the ancient house has been mentioned, Edward Philippe Mott, that has the same surname of Dandy Mott from season 4, Freak Show.
Now, this whole theory is a bit stretched, but I think that there surely have been more "blink and you'll miss it" clues like these ones during the other episodes, and they have a specific meaning to connect the seasons between themselves.

I like Thomasyn White's character. She's ruthless and she has charisma, actually much more than Lady Gaga's character, that I've discovered is named Scathach. But I have to say that this time her character is much more interesting, somewhat ethereal and she's doing a better job with it.
The voice of the interviewer that now has been heard twice isn't new to me but I'm not sure who it is, maybe it's Cheyenne Jackson as many seem to think.
I was seriously upset by those retarded kids, where do they come from? And the Polks that were masturbating before Lady Gaga that was practically raping Cuba Gooding Jr.(another really upsetting scene)?

I've seen from the date shown on the PC of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s character that this season is set in 2014, so it's interesting to note that it is simultaneous with Coven. Another interesting thing to note is that the car driver of the medium Cricket is called Rhett Snow, maybe a relative of Myrtle Snow?
I really appreciated the Pigman's attack sequence, it was completely similar to how its legend was portrayed in Murder House.
I can't wait to see how the Dying Grass Moon events will end.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 10-11-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Old 10-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Nathan, I have just one thing to say both for Cricket and Prof. Elias: New fave=Instant kill. Seriously it's like watching Game of Thrones.
I don't watch GOT but interesting. Yes, it does seem that way though.

Quote:
I've seen some articles online this time around that had some interesting theories.
The first is that, since Ryan Murphy stated that this series will change drastically from episode 6, and we already know from some leaked pictures from the set that the 4th wall will be broken then, it could be that after the 6th episode we will finally have our opening theme.

The second is that every episode of this season until now had a connection with the AHS season with the corresponding number, and from the 6th episode the real 6th season will begin and its real theme will be revealed. Obviously the most obvious connections were the story of the couple moving to a new house to overcome a miscarriage in the 1st episode, the theme of abusive treatment by the nurses in the 2nd episode and the magic and paranormal theme brought by the psychic in the 3rd. But I had seen in episode 3 that there was a precise and "blink and you'll miss it" clue: Cricket the medium affirmed to have been arrived from New Orleans, the city of season 3, Coven. And in this last 4th episode the mysteriously disappeared constructor of the ancient house has been mentioned, Edward Philippe Mott, that has the same surname of Dandy Mott from season 4, Freak Show.
Now, this whole theory is a bit stretched, but I think that there surely have been more "blink and you'll miss it" clues like these ones during the other episodes, and they have a specific meaning to connect the seasons between themselves.
Fascinating, I haven't done any research. I did catch the New Orleans hint though, and wondered if a Coven tie-in might be forthcoming.

Quote:
I like Thomasyn White's character. She's ruthless and she has charisma, actually much more than Lady Gaga's character, that I've discovered is named Scathach. But I have to say that this time her character is much more interesting, somewhat ethereal and she's doing a better job with it.
The voice of the interviewer that now has been heard twice isn't new to me but I'm not sure who it is, maybe it's Cheyenne Jackson as many seem to think.
I was seriously upset by those retarded kids, where do they come from? And the Polks that were masturbating before Lady Gaga that was practically raping Cuba Gooding Jr.(another really upsetting scene)?
This show is almost nothing BUT upsetting scenes. I wonder why Iu watch sometimes. To me, the Gaga character is the most unsettling, there are some elements in the writing that really seem authentic sometimes.

It is nice to to see Gaga do something besides the melodrama she did in Hotel, don't you think?

Love your theories! Thanks. Looking forward to Wednesday. : )
Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Cuba Gooding Jr. et al killed Angela Basset's husband and stashed Flora in the cellar or out in the woods. Next episode blows the lid off by busting in on the real-life characters in real-time.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't watch GOT but interesting. Yes, it does seem that way though.

Fascinating, I haven't done any research. I did catch the New Orleans hint though, and wondered if a Coven tie-in might be forthcoming.

This show is almost nothing BUT upsetting scenes. I wonder why Iu watch sometimes. To me, the Gaga character is the most unsettling, there are some elements in the writing that really seem authentic sometimes.

It is nice to to see Gaga do something besides the melodrama she did in Hotel, don't you think?

Love your theories! Thanks. Looking forward to Wednesday. : )
I stopped watching GOT after the first season because I was afraid it would end up eating my life.
And have you heard that Shelby, Matt & Co would go to LA waiting for her sister to find some money for them? Maybe it's a clue.
Seriously, I think that those of us that watch this show not because there's Lady Gaga but because we want to enjoy good, unexpected horror we do it because we want to be upset. It's like when we know there's been an accident and we don't want to look but can't look away.
For this reason this year Gaga is much better and funny thing, her character is truly based on a real mythological figure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sc%C3%A1thach

Quote:
I think Cuba Gooding Jr. et al killed Angela Basset's husband and stashed Flora in the cellar or out in the woods. Next episode blows the lid off by busting in on the real-life characters in real-time.
I was talking about it with my best friend (who I dragged in this folly of show long ago), there are many possible things:
1) The actors where in the house and now something will happen to them (her theory)
2) The first part of the show was just an introduction and now the real show will be a macabre horrorific version of the Truman show in which they will all be forcefully sent back in the house with camera watching (also her theory with a bit of my details)
3) The show is a scam like all paranormal show. Now that the first part of the show where they recount the fake story of the Millers is over, the cast will move on to another story that unfortunately for them is real (my theory)
4) The story recounted is loosely inspired by another real story and we will follow the cast and will know the real trith of the events that was behind the show (also mine).

And even more, but these are my favourites. However I knw for sure that last week Ryan Murphy said that Lady Gaga's character is the first Supreme, so the Coven parallel awaits us. I can't wait for tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 PM

In the end they did return to the house. It's not the most exciting twist but it's been well executed, I guess props to Angela Bassett for her direction of this episode.
Ryan Peters was truly hilarious, it makes me cry that indeed almost all of my peers are like his character.
Now thanks to Murphy we know two more things about the future episodes:
1) The Miller didn't tell all of the truth about their experience, so I guess we'll have another hopefully more juicy twist than this.
2) Taissa Farmiga will return in "the most adult and dark role" he has created for her.
This two facts really make me think that Taissa is the real Scathach and Matt doesn't tell the truth about his "involvement" with her. And we still don't know why he returned to the house. We know she wanted him, maybe he's the lone survivor.
I loved the way the "real" ghosts have been represented, they benefited from the passage from mockumentary to found footage style ; overall they truly feel more real. I liked the glimpse of Mason's burnt ghost, very creepy.
I also appreciated the little mention of Jessica Lange.
Interesting also the fact that while all the actors that have impersonated the Millers family claim to have not had problems during the film shooting in the house, they didn't truly come out if it unscathed, since everyone of them became the character they have played in some way: Angela Bassett became an alcoholic like Lee, Kathy Bates became the same with the Butcher, Sarah Paulson began a passionate love relationship like the one Shelby and Matt had while Cuba Gooding Jr... went from acting sex scenes with fake Shelby to having the real deal with true Shelby.
Maybe the reason why Shelby felt so alone and Matt had drifted away from after having participated in Roanoke Nightmare is a reapprochement with Scathach.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also appreciated the little mention of Jessica Lange
Maybe the reason why Shelby felt so alone and Matt had drifted away from after having participated in Roanoke Nightmare is a reapprochement with Scathach.
Well you got that last part right!

What was the reference to Jessica Lange? I must have missed that.

Also on last nights episode, I missed the last ten minutes. Who plays the real butcher? Is it still Kathy bates? I couldn't find that in any reviews.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Well you got that last part right!
Well, since he'd said they had "the most intimate contact" he ever had with anyone and that she told him to join her and he would have done it...
But I thought he was a bit lame.
Quote:
What was the reference to Jessica Lange? I must have missed that.
Well
It was very subtle, when Kathy Bates's character said that in her opinion the two most important roles in American History were the Butcher and Mary Tyrone in A Long Day's journey Into the Night, because Jessica Lange abandoned the show to play Mary Tyrone in Ryan Murphy's broadway rendition of this same show.

Quote:
Also on last nights episode, I missed the last ten minutes. Who plays the real butcher? Is it still Kathy bates? I couldn't find that in any reviews.
I'm not sure because it's not very obvious, at first I thought it could be Mare Winningham but probably it's a background actor like the nurse sisters:

http://jessicalange.org/post/152396815099