User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How to recruit fans

Somebody asks you: "What are you listening to?"
You reply: "Peter Green - he's the best!!" or "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - they're fantastic!!"
The other person: "Yeah! I've heard about him, but I haven't heard any of his music. I saw a CD called Two Greens Make A Blues at the record shop the other day ... I think I'll have a listen to it."
You: "Errrr.... I don't think that's the best one to start with......"
The other guy: "Okay... Well, play me some now!"

I'm sure somebody here has experienced similar situations. I just thought it'd be nice to hear what you folks think? Where do you start? What is the first song(s) you would play to somebody interested in what this guy called Peter Green is all about?

I guess it will depend on the musical background to the one you're approaching...

I assume most of you would start with the Fleetwood Mac era, right?

Blues or rock?
Albatross?
Oh Well? Personally I don't think Pt. 1 shows that much of his lead guitar potential...
Black Magic Woman?
Green Manalishi?
24 minute Rattlesnake Shake? Naaah, not unless the guy is an "acid rock fan".

Of the blues stuff, I think I'd actually start with some live stuff. Jumping At Shadows, All Over Again... Maybe Stop Messin' Round or Love That Burns from Mr. Wonderful.

In the Skies stuff? White Sky?
Splinter Group?

Imagine you only have time/chance to play two or three songs. How to plant a seed? What songs are best suited to recruit a new Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac fan?

Daniel

Last edited by dansven; 02-26-2007 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"I Loved Another Woman"
"Oh Well"

If they don't "get" it by then, they're a lost cause.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

2 words... "Bizzy lizzy"!

Only kidding...

7 words...
"Jumping at shadows" from Boston tea party.

If they don't get it after that they have no heartbeat.
On the other hand, "Man of the world" is catchy...
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, the Tea Party version is usually the first one I put on... followed by Albatross, I guess.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default turning people on to peter green

As a long time fan, who tries to do this at every opportunity, what I have done in the past and to some degree right now is the following

for blues fans: I make them a mix tape of really good standards that most people who are interested in know and I follow them with a standout green cut. depending on the mix it would be "love that burns" from mr wonderful, "if you be my baby" from shrine 69, rolling man from mr wonderfull, watch out and last night from blues jam in chicago.

if they are more astute yonger blues fans I will then go for esoteric. "All Over Again from the warehouse in NO or Fillmore West (I must confess that these are recent additions) Stop Messing around studio sessions (all 5) from mr wonderful, or drifting(fast talking woman blues) from original FM

If they are old jaded listeners, I might play them steady rollong man from Hot foot powder or dangerous man from reaching the cold 100, or last train to san antoine from PVK stuff. It's hit or miss but most take the bait

doodyhead
Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't worry about the solo/Splinter Group stuff. It's good, but not why Peter Green's a legend.

You could start with "You Don't Love Me," "The Same Way," and "The Supernatural," all from "A Hard Road." Really, these songs were the foundation for what became the legend. They laid the groundwork.

But, personally, I'd skip the notion that it could be done in three songs altogether, bite the bullet, and just get a copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Greatest Hits" album from 1971. It's really the best, obvious mix of what Peter Green was all about. Green Manalishi, Oh Well, Rattlesnake Shake, Need Your Love So Bad, Black Magic Woman, Albatross, Man Of The World, Stop Messin' Round, and Love That Burns. It captures every shade of Green. If your friend doesn't "get it" by the end of the CD, then he or she probably won't. While it's not a complete package by any stretch, it's a hell of a starting point.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your replies, folks! Nice to hear your oppinions!