The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Montreal, Quebec, there is something of a "Rumours" era Christine McVie or Stevie Nicks in Veronica Charnley's approach running through "One Hundred Words for Water". Lindsey Buckingham too.

This is no bad thing. I am more comfortable with this gentle undercurrent than the febrile expositions of Kate Bush and Tori Amos the Fleetwoods informed in turn; or the everything-bar-the kitchen sink assault of the once elfin Bjork.

http://siblingshot.blogspot.com/2009...-exposure.html
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Article on 3 Holy Grails waiting to be issued.

Grand Junction Free Press 9/11/2009
http://www.gjfreepress.com/article/2...909109974/1061

3. “Buckingham Nicks” by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks

It is one of the abiding mysteries of pop music why this album has remained unreleased since 1976. By that time, of course, guitarist Buckingham and singer Nicks had joined the band with which they would achieve superstardom: Fleetwood Mac. But this, their recording debut as a duo, has remained shelved for a third of a century despite the relentless pleading of Mac fans around the world. For much of the past decade, there have been rumors (and even a sadly premature official announcement in 2003) of a new release, but still “Buckingham Nicks” exists only on vinyl and in black market vinyl rips. Hope springs eternal, however; in recent years, Lindsey Buckingham has suggested the album might finally hit the racks once more, to be supported by a tour by the now 61- and 59-year-old Nicks and Buckingham.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an article by Mick Jacobsen about building an online community. Maybe some people here participated in that discussion group in 1994:

http://tametheweb.com/category/tech-...n/?iphone=true

I’ve always been fascinated by social interaction online, all the way back to 1994 when I started a discussion list for Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fans on my old Mac with a dial-up connection. I didn’t know it then, but I was attempting to bring together a community–to make some connections between various folks who shared an interest and to let them talk to each other.

Now, more than 12 years later, I realize it was one of many early examples of building a virtual community and the beginnings of social networks. Social networking services (SNS) are Web-based sites that “provide a collection of various ways for users to interact, such as chat, messaging, email, video, voice chat, file sharing, blogging, discussion groups,” according to Wikipedia. And these days it’s easier than ever to create a social space for you and your group–staff, users, etc.–with some free and simple Web 2.0 tools. Let’s take a look at what any size library, library organization, or state library agency could do for free!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An Open Letter To Australian Idol
By Jess McGuire on September 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM
Dear Australian Idol,

So! I recently had this brilliant idea for your show, and I knew I had to tell you right away via my favourite thing in the whole world – an open letter.

I’m sure you’ve already thought of this, but could you please, please, please consider having Fleetwood Mac week? They’ve had countless hits, so it’s not as though the performers are going to have to search long and hard for a song the audience would be familiar with. I realise the band is coming out to Australia in December after your show wraps which means they’re highly unlikely to make a guest appearance but at least the public would have Fleetwood Mac on the brain?

Anyway. The reason I want this to happen so badly is because the other day, I suddenly thought “My god, wouldn’t it be hilarious AWESOME if Australian Idol contestants performed ‘Tusk’ as their group song?”

You know I’m right, it’d be spectacular.
I would fly to Sydney, get tickets to the show, spend all my money on drugs, and watch the whole thing TOTALLY HIGH*.

Yours,

Jess McGuire

PS: If Fleetwood Mac are anything to go by, it’s probably best to get the Top Twelve completely munted before making them perform this.

*KIDS! Drugs are terrible and you shouldn’t do them, and I am only joking about taking them. These days I am “straight edge” and that’s what makes me really cool. Say nope to dope!

http://www.defamer.com.au/2009/09/an...stralian-idol/
Old 09-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Huh. Never heard that one before.
Maybe they me Jeremy..or Peter
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From a comment on metafilter, September 10, 2009:

http://www.metafilter.com/84939/Rese...th-religiosity

I think we've all had the experience of deciding to like something, some painting or movie or song, especially if we think back to adolescence. We play the song over and over again, watch the movie repeatedly, ponder the painting for hours, reread the book, whatever. Sometimes this works. I decided that I was going to really try to figure out what people liked about ABBA, a band I'd made easy slagging of for years, and got to really enjoy them. Likewise, David Bowie, Pere Ubu, etc. Sometimes, it doesn't. No matter how many times I listen to Fleetwood Mac's Buckingham-Nicks output, it still bores the hell out of me and makes me want to wash my ears out with Napalm Death. And sometimes it takes partway but not completely, like Velvet Underground, where I don't think I'll ever like Nico's voice, even though I can get where they were coming from.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...oncert//print/

From article on the Noisettes and Shingai Shoniwa says:

"We were listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac, some Talk Talk and a bunch of really slick, overly produced hip-hop and American R&B records," says the singer, who credits such influences for fueling the Noisettes' genre-bending sound.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's the violent FM comic from 2007: http://www.comicspace.com/keithpille...&comic_id=5727

This is from a September 14, 2009 interview.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/qa/

Where did the idea for creating a webcomic come from?

Keith Pille: I was a writer for a long time... local music writing, human-interest journalism, and some (mostly really bad) fiction. Then, maybe five years ago, comics just sort of took over my brain. I'm the kind of guy who, once I start enjoying something, feels like I have to give it a try myself. So before long I'm trying to learn to draw, and it just kind of moved from there. For a while, I did comic-short-story stuff (one making fun of the world of literary fiction, one adapting a Jim Walsh story about shooting the members of Fleetwood Mac in the head), but after that I thought it'd be fun to switch to something long-form, dealing with the same ongoing cast of characters.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

St. Louis Radio Station 106.5 The Arch

http://www.1065thearch.com/post/1961...er_of_all_time

Best Abum Cover of All Time:

OK, the Buckingham-Nicks album cover IS the best of all time because Stevie Nicks is naked. The record was released in 1973 and reissued in 1976 after the duo joined Fleetwood Mac. Stevie's name is spelled Stevi on the original.

The album has never been officially released on CD.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Move over Fleetwood Mac - Miss Saigon is taking the limelight.

Tickets for the New Plymouth Operatic Society production have been selling so fast the 10-day season has been extended by a week to cope with the demand.

The stage show tells the tragic tale of a doomed romance involving a Vietnamese bar girl abandoned by her American GI lover.

The setting of the plot is 1970s Saigon during the Vietnam War.

New Plymouth Operatic Society president Kevin Landrigan said the company has been astonished at how well the show had been selling.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...s-show-season/
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And I’d be remiss not to mention the song’s striking similarities to Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way,” particularly the melody and phrasing of the verses. Considering the group has cited Fleetwood Mac as one of its major influences, this isn’t exactly surprising – but it is a little… off-putting.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2009/...-you-wanna-go/
Old 09-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Today we drove the long and winding road to Hana Bay. On the way back we took a detour to visit Nahiku where George Harrison owned a house and were almost run off the road on a sharp bend by a Dude in a red Mustang who was none other than Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac fame) who also lives in Nahiku. There’s no point in being killed by a rock star just for the infamy you know! The man might be a wizard on the drums but he can't drive to save himself.

http://wetravelworld.com/2009/09/16/aloha-p27796/
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can there be such a thing as a Mamma Mia sequel without ABBA music? Maybe. First Meryl Streep teased that she’d welcome a sequel to the smash movie musical, as long as all the film’s male actors returned. Then, ABBA chieftain Benny Andersson seemed to shoot down the possibility by insisting that his band’s music would not be involved in any follow-up. And now, Colin Firth, in Toronto to promote Tom Ford’s A Single Man, shared with Collider.com that “people who do want to make [a sequel] are considering the possibility of using another band’s music.” (Universal had no comment on Firth’s statements.)

Recreating the same Mamma Mia musical magic with an entirely different artist’s catalog might be a pointless task. But not impossible. So let’s help Universal figure this out. The music has to be from the 1970’s. Has to. And obviously, the music has to be infectious. The Bee Gees are ideal. Too ideal, actually, especially since their music is too closely associated with Saturday Night Fever. Elton John might be good. I loved what Baz Luhrmann did with “Your Song” in Moulin Rouge, and his extensive catalog could easily sustain 120 minutes. But my first choice would be Fleetwood Mac. Their songs are sing-out-loud rapturous, but they also tell stories full of sublimated tension that would enhance the narrative.

What do you think, Mamma Mia fans? Could you envision dancing to anyone but ABBA in a sequel? Would you rather they simply quit while they were ahead or are you open to seeing Meryl flapping her arm to “Edge of Seventeen”? If not, is there another band that the filmmakers should pursue?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/17/ma...-meryl-streep/
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

U2 must surely find themselves in an odd situation when they tour. On the one hand you have a dedicated core group of fans whose love for the band is based on the fact that U2 refuse to stand still, reinvent themselves, and push their musical boundaries. On the other hand you have a wide-ranging audience, who are simply familiar with U2's enviable catalogue of pop/rock hits and who want nothing less than a greatest hits show.

So, despite being in the game for 30 years it was to U2's great credit last night that their 360 experience opened last night with four songs off their latest album.
I am not aware of any of the remaining touring supergroups (Rolling Stones, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, etc.) that would dare attempt to open a 60,000-person show with songs that, quite frankly, only the hardcore fans were familiar with.

It was a gamble and, for the most part, it paid off. I happen to be very fond of the new album and it was a joy to hear the band transmit their sound in the way it was meant to be heard. U2 is the quintessential live band and certainly the kings of the stadium experience.

http://uninhabitedspaces.blogspot.co...n-toronto.html
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I went and saw a Fleetwood Mac cover band last nite. . FLEETWOOD NICKS. I was quite dubious so I went online and did some research before I committed. I didn't want to see any hipster irony. NONE. There was none. I need not have worried. They were perfection. Late 40s/early 50s fronted by 'NICKS' as though she were re-writing history(uhh.herstory) cos maybe NICKS should've fronted The Mac for reals. Doesn't matter. She went on to be STEVIE.
There was a single crazy Superfan dancing up a storm. Apparently she arrived wasted/arrived pumped so it kinda went from there.
She had some incredible moves in her polar fleece. Sitting and watching a cover band lets your imagination run wild: "What do these people do all day?", "What are their day jobs?". We suspect NICKS is an aerobics instructor/personal trainer. She has the pipes and is very fit. 'Christine McVie' aka 'Crazy Eyes' was the other focal point in the coverband. The large-ish bass player wearing mirror shades was a bit obscured by 'Mick' and 'Stevie'. "Mick" looked a bit iggy pop/grizzled and was also pulling off a Tom Petty.
In real life, Stevie is an honorary Heartbreaker. If they really knew their material, they would've done a Led Zep cover b/c Stevie Nicks (Welch Witch) loves to do 'rock 'n' roll' live.

FLEETWOOD NICKS is also available for weddings.
Posted by Sonja Ahlers

http://sonjaahlers.blogspot.com/2009...ood-nicks.html