The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will you vote Democratic?
Yes, I'll vote for Obama 27 49.09%
No, I'll vote for McCain 13 23.64%
Only, If Hillary is on the ticket 6 10.91%
I dont know yet 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Again, I think we have a Hannity worshipper
Or someone is on the wrong mailing list.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
It just amazes me that when you show someone the facts, they refuse to see them and then start talking about other people's similar culpability in an attempt to ignore the facts and that they were wrong.

The New Orleans example is a good one. Yes, Nagin and Blanco made huge errors. But, FEMA's was the worst. Moreover, they created stage props and then took them down. How fukced up is that and, to me, that is far worse than any BS Blanco and Nagin did. And, sa what you want about Nagin and his faults, but that man stayed in that city and did everything he could to solve those problems, as opposed to a photo op in front of a staged work scene, which was soon removed Finally, "YOU'RE DOIN A HECK OF JOB BROWNIE" -- need more be said?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It just amazes me that when you show someone the facts, they refuse to see them and then start talking about other people's similar culpability in an attempt to ignore the facts and that they were wrong.

The New Orleans example is a good one. Yes, Nagin and Blanco made huge errors. But, FEMA's was the worst.
What amazes me is that we AMERICANS expect a bailout. I live along the Gulf Coast and no person or government agency could begin to measure the scope of such a disaster as some of the hurricanes we've had. FEMA is not perfect, but they did and still are helping. They helped my family and friends. Are things back to normal..............NO!!!!!!!! But with time it will be.

Some people love to lay the blaim at President Bush's feet, that is insane. And so is blaming FEMA. Mistakes were made, but most people are playing the Monday morning quarterback game.

I'll stop my little rant by just saying that we should appreciate how much our citizens and Government helps.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's the governement's duty to rebuild the infrastructure. Had the levees not been in such a state of disrepair, things might not have been this bad. NOLA survived the hurricane. The failure of the levees is what did the town in. Bush was playing guitar at a photo op and having birthday cake while all this went down. Don't you think he ought to have had his priorities straight?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered

Quote:

The New Orleans example is a good one. Yes, Nagin and Blanco made huge errors. But, FEMA's was the worst. Moreover, they created stage props and then took them down. How fukced up is that and, to me, that is far worse than any BS Blanco and Nagin did. And, sa what you want about Nagin and his faults, but that man stayed in that city and did everything he could to solve those problems, as opposed to a photo op in front of a staged work scene, which was soon removed Finally, "YOU'RE DOIN A HECK OF JOB BROWNIE" -- need more be said?
You didn't understand what I said. FEMA is a federal department. FEMA is not a first responder, therefore they are not culpable for most of what you think. That covers Blanco and Nagin. They did not respond appropriately and Blanco TURNED DOWN Bush's offer for aid. People are frankly lucky to get anything FEMA gives them. You missed the whole point of what I said because you don't understand what FEMA's role is. I ignored the article from the lefty press entirely. I skimmed through parts of it and it appeared to be a smear job and not a piece of reliable journalism. Why respond to something like that?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
It's the governement's duty to rebuild the infrastructure. Had the levees not been in such a state of disrepair, things might not have been this bad. NOLA survived the hurricane. The failure of the levees is what did the town in. Bush was playing guitar at a photo op and having birthday cake while all this went down. Don't you think he ought to have had his priorities straight?
It is the LOCAL government's job to rebuild infrastructure. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS!! This is what I mean, you people don't understand basic civics of separation of federal and state functions. (shakes head in disgust)

Bush's job is to run the Federal government, not play babysitter to an incompetent governor and a negligent mayor. It is not the federal government's job to clean up local state disasters. The Federal government's job, according to the constitution, is to run the military, run the post office, and preside over matters of taxation and interstate commerce. Solving problems at a local level is not part of the federal government's duties. Bush gets all the blame, when cleaning up the city isn't even his job. The people of New Orleans were damn lucky to get anything at all from the feds.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
I dislike Sean Hannity intensely, as well as Bill O'Reilly. I think both of them tend to just say stuff without thinking about what it really means. I'm a Michael Medved fan myself. Glen Beck too.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
^^^

Once again, you are incorrect. W declared it a National Disaster area prior to the storm hitting. Moreover, FEMA is a first respionder. Do you ever look anything up?

But, just answer this -- why did Rove and W ask Blanco to give up control of the state, but did not ask the R Gov. of Miss.?

I think we all know why.

But, as usual, you do not answer the point and instead start talking about other mildly related issues (yes Nagin and Blanco are to blame for other reasons) in an attempt to make the R's look good.

I already stated that he had asked the governor and she declined. Do you actually read what I say?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
^^^

Once again, you are incorrect. W declared it a National Disaster area prior to the storm hitting. Moreover, FEMA is a first respionder. Do you ever look anything up?

But, just answer this -- why did Rove and W ask Blanco to give up control of the state, but did not ask the R Gov. of Miss.?

I think we all know why.

But, as usual, you do not answer the point and instead start talking about other mildly related issues (yes Nagin and Blanco are to blame for other reasons) in an attempt to make the R's look good.
Again, Bush did ask her and she turned him down and lied about it later to cover her butt. I heard the taped call that was released.

Here's something from FEMA. Under Brown, FEMA was not a first responder. Check it out: http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=18470

It says they train first responders. I'll ask your own question, do you ever look anything up?

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-15-2008 at 11:52 PM..
Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
This is bull**** straight out of a rightwing email that circulated in the days after Katrina.
If it was, I never saw it. I tend to ignore chain emails because they're usually wrong.

You have to admit that the Katrina coverage was way over the top because of race. It was mostly minorities that were displaced. We heard about it for a year afterwards, if not more. How many Oprah episodes were devoted to it? We just had worse flooding all over the mid-west and more white people were displaced, but they've already stopped covering it. Not one Oprah episode about it. The media is racist, as is Oprah. I liked a comment the Family Guy made about the coverage, their newscaster commented "8 months after a Katrina, a man's socks are now dry" or something to that effect.

There's an old joke. God tells the major news outlets that the world is ending. Talk radio reports that liberal immorality left God no choice, left wing radio reports that it's all Bush's fault. The mainstream media reports: "World Ending: Women and Minorities Hardest Hit" Given the level of thinking skills around here, it may take you a minute to get that last line.

Last edited by ajmccarrell; 07-15-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
It is the LOCAL government's job to rebuild infrastructure. There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENTS!! This is what I mean, you people don't understand basic civics of separation of federal and state functions. (shakes head in disgust)

Bush's job is to run the Federal government, not play babysitter to an incompetent governor and a negligent mayor. It is not the federal government's job to clean up local state disasters. The Federal government's job, according to the constitution, is to run the military, run the post office, and preside over matters of taxation and interstate commerce. Solving problems at a local level is not part of the federal government's duties. Bush gets all the blame, when cleaning up the city isn't even his job. The people of New Orleans were damn lucky to get anything at all from the feds.
I thought you might say as much. The Army Corps of Engineers is both federal and military, wouldn't you say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

In Louisiana, the federal flood protection system in New Orleans failed in more than fifty places. Nearly every levee in metro New Orleans breached as Hurricane Katrina passed east of the city, subsequently flooding 80% of the city and many areas of neighboring parishes for weeks.

At least 1,836 people lost their lives in Hurricane Katrina and in the subsequent floods, making it the deadliest U.S. hurricane since the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. The storm is estimated to have been responsible for $81.2 billion (2005 U.S. dollars) in damage, making it the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history. The catastrophic failure of the flood protection in New Orleans prompted immediate review of the Army Corps of Engineers, which has, by congressional mandate, sole responsibility for design and construction of the flood protection and levee system.

Thanks for playing.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The levees should have been improved, but again why blame President Bush? Weren't they under a state of disrepair under many other administrations? And what about the local government, who would know better than them?

Again I live on the coast, we never know where the hurricanes are going to hit until the last hour.

I imagine that if a very powerful earthquake were to happen in California ( I pray not) how much blame would President Bush get for that? We all are in some kind of danger zone, whether it's tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and even fires. We all make our choice where to live and I don't think our President or FEMA decides that for us.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
The levees should have been improved, but again why blame President Bush? Weren't they under a state of disrepair under many other administrations? And what about the local government, who would know better than them?

Again I live on the coast, we never know where the hurricanes are going to hit until the last hour.

I imagine that if a very powerful earthquake were to happen in California ( I pray not) how much blame would President Bush get for that? We all are in some kind of danger zone, whether it's tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and even fires. We all make our choice where to live and I don't think our President or FEMA decides that for us.
Ok so let's theoretically give the Chimp a pass on his and Brownie's lame response to Katrina .What about the 5,000 American troops who's lives he has cost in Iraqi not to mention the untold thousands of innocent civilians lives there after he mislead and duped many (but not all of us) into a war that should have never been.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Ok so let's theoretically give the Chimp a pass on his and Brownie's lame response to Katrina .What about the 5,000 American troops who's lives he has cost in Iraqi not to mention the untold thousands of innocent civilians lives there after he mislead and duped many (but not all of us) into a war that should have never been.
The chimp, what a nice name you have for our President. Most liberals like to say how dumb he is, but then at the same time he is this evil genious that duped the whole world. President Bush and the Republicans must be some kind of modern day Jedi's.

What war has not cost us greatly in troops and innocent civilians? And now that the tide has turned even Obama is changing his tune. And what bothers me most is that some Democrats actually want the war to fail just so they will have a better chance at getting into the White House.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
We just had worse flooding all over the mid-west and more white people were displaced, but they've already stopped covering it.
Since when did the floods kill 1300+ people and cause $86 Billion in damage?

Yeah, that's why we're not still talking about it.