Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey needs to listen to how he played sara in 79-80

Does it bother anyone else that lindsey still does not play the same part that he played during sara on the tusk tour? It was next to inaudible on the 03/04 tour and while he plays bits and pieces that are a little closer to the 79/80 version.....it still isn't quite right.

For me that guitar part single handedly makes the whole song in terms of it being done live!

It's a very subtle guitar part, but it's so dynamic and pretty. Now it sounds like he just hits the same note and never goes up to the other part he used to play. Drives me bonkers!!!! It's like he forgot about the other half of the guitar part!

Any thoughts!? Its my only complaint with lindsey. Its the classic example of his delicate, economical style that he if often known for....and he totally blows it on this song! Ack!!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh and one more thing....Brett needs to turn down his freakin' piano part on the song too. It dominates the entire song now...it used to be this perfect dance between lindsey's guitar part and chris' tack piano.

Now they stomp ALL OVER the dynamics of it.

ok sorry folks, enough of my soapbox rant.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can see where you're coming from... today's Sara is kind of a dumbed down version of the Sara of yore.

However, I like modern day Sara. I like the fact the piano is brought to the forefront. It's more dramatic and emphatic. I like the way the song is edited and sped up some. Makes it translate to the live setting so much better. Sara from the Tusk tour was long and slow... a real drag on the setlist (though it was beautiful!). Current day Sara is more engaging. It's just a tighter, more concise package... versus the wandering, drifting original.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah Lindsey had a nice subtle delay thing going on back in 79, after the verses, that repeating note... I've heard him try to do the same thing on this tour but it seems too heavy
Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Yeah Lindsey had a nice subtle delay thing going on back in 79, after the verses, that repeating note... I've heard him try to do the same thing on this tour but it seems too heavy
Although it's probably studio overdubs, I love the guitar work on Sara, on the live album. Those runs he does.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Although it's probably studio overdubs, I love the guitar work on Sara, on the live album. Those runs he does.
Exactly...although I think he did them live as well. I will have to compare to the st.louis soundboard version.

I hate that darn synth sound that they are using right now, its so dated. Pull out even a regular piano and put a slight delay on it or something!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

just compared the 79 st louis soundboard. He does all of those guitar runs. 80% of it he leaves out now, such a shame!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yeah the repeated 3rd note on the D string that he has been doing on the Unleashed tour does nothing for the song. In my opinion the SYW version was magical...especially the solo at the end which is sadly missing from the new version.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Crap! you're right, that solo is missing! darn! wtf.

I'll be a betting man and say that Stevie wanted more of that darn synth (ala they way it was done on the '81 HBO special....barf) and wanted lindsey to tone down the guitar. I guess that is whats off about the recent arrangement of Sara, its too close to the solo version that was always piano/synth heavy, while the Fleetwood Mac version had the signature guitar runs that have been previously mentioned. IMHO, it was those differences that really set the Fleetwood Mac live version on a whole different platform. The current version just sounds like an "ok" tribute band arrangement.

Also...whatever happened to that kick butt solo in Rhiannon that he played on the mirage tour!?

It's amazing all the great little things that get left out or forgotten over time. I wish I could hear the reasons WHY!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

does anyone have audio of this?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmark View Post
Yeah the repeated 3rd note on the D string that he has been doing on the Unleashed tour does nothing for the song. In my opinion the SYW version was magical...especially the solo at the end which is sadly missing from the new version.
I agree with that wholeheartedly. The Say You Will tour version of the song was pure perfection! The band totally nailed the perfect compromise between having the slow, wandering performances of Sara from the Tusk era, to the dumbed down version of the Unleashed tour. It's like they finally figured out how to make the song really work live. I just listened to some versions of Sara from the last leg of the Unleashed tour... and Lindsey hardly plays guitar at all during most of the song. It's a shame, because they had gotten it so right last time around. Oh well... at least it's still in the setlist, and people are able to hear this still-beautiful song live .
Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I agree with that wholeheartedly. The Say You Will tour version of the song was pure perfection!
I didn't think you liked it. I thought Stevie's Soundstage was what brought Sara back to life for you for the first time in years.

Michele
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he's resting his hands...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I didn't think you liked it. I thought Stevie's Soundstage was what brought Sara back to life for you for the first time in years.

Michele
Damnit! Why do all you people actually pay attention to what I say??

I DO love her Soundstage version... but I try (in vain usually) to keep the discussion of the solo careers separate from the Mac forums. Notice I said try in vain.

I think her Soundstage rendition of the song opened up a new appreciation for it in general too. To quote the woman herself:

"So today she says, well I changed my mind. That's a woman's right they say..."
Old 12-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

First of all, they have to fix the piano...