The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Should FM release the album without any SN-penned songs?
yes, there's no time to waste! 31 28.44%
no, they should keep waiting for SN, however long it takes 76 69.72%
we don't need no stinkin' FM album 2 1.83%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think it's time to a new release, with or without the SN work. I really want to hear songs from everyon!!!
We know that Stevie always had a little piece on the albums; 2 songs in FM and Rumours, 3 songs in Mirage and Tango...
Even when it's time to see more SN songs on an album, and even when both with Lindsey released new works recently (2011), we can't compare. Lindsey will have more songs. So I think it's ok, if the new album must be released now.
Regards!!
FM had Stevie's song "Crystal" and Rumours had her song "I Don't Want to Know". But I'm sure you knew that. And while she didn't sing lead on the former she was co-lead on the latter.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 04-28-2014 at 12:21 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
FM had Stevie's song "Crystal" and Rumours had her song "I Don't Want to Know". But I'm sure you knew that. And while she didn't sing lead on the former she was co-lead on the latter.
Hehe, yes, I knew it! Sorry if I didn't say it before, but I was talking about Stevie as a singer, not as a writer. Of course that I want her songs too, and of course she can write songs that then she sings with Lindsey, but if the album must be released soon, and Lindsey know it, they could make it without her songs.
Anyway, as I said before, I want her musical pieces too!! It only depends on them.
Regards!
Mark.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's been juggling her solo albums with FM albums since 1980.
I think it'll all work out and you'll see 3 Nicks songs on the new album.

And as much as I love when Christine and Lindsey collaborate,
I don't think we'll see a Fleetwood Mac album with them and not with Stevie.
Sounds really interesting, but I don't see it happening.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
When she recorded 'Trouble In Shangri-La,' she pulled "Thrown Down" because she thought it would make a great Fleetwood Mac song. She also saved "Not Make Believe" for them, from her 'TISL' demo sessions.

There's always the possibility she intends to do that again, and save a few songs from these sessions for Fleetwood Mac to record. Lindsey suggested more than once last year, that Stevie didn't yet have any new material to bring to the table. So this time spent in Nashville could easily be a "kill two birds with one stone" situation.

Just a thought.
That's a very good point.

And thanks for sharing that story. I'd never heard that she held onto "Thrown Down" for FM. Wonder if, based on DESTINY RULES documentary, she regrets that? *wink*

Well, I'm glad she saved it for the band, because---in spite of the fact that she's my least favorite of the band's singers---"Thrown Down" is possibly my favorite song off SAY YOU WILL. In spite of the changing tense...

Oh, and I'd be perfectly happy to have a Christine-Lindsey-John-Mick FM record. To be clear, I'd prefer the whole band, but they're not getting any younger, and the timing of these new SN supposedly solo sessions is questionable. I say don't wait. Make the record without her.

But it won't happen.

matt
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
She's been juggling her solo albums with FM albums since 1980.
I think it'll all work out and you'll see 3 Nicks songs on the new album.
see, what keeps popping to my mind since i heard the news (and i just posted some similar thoughts in SN forum, i'm sure there will be a mob of angry chiffs making sure i never try to go into the forum again ) is this:

yes, SN has been juggling her solo albums with FM. but who's been getting the shorter end of the stick?

let's consider this imaginary (or is it? ) scenario - the Dance in 1997. LB has GOS1 almost completed and was told by Cavallo and/or WB to get together with FM and roll some of that material into FM album. so they get out the Dance. was it supposed to be shortly followed by a full FM studio album? it surely didn't happen. meanwhile SN released GH album as well as studio album while FM was still on hold all those years. so LB again decided not to wait and release GOS1 as solo. WB again pulled him back and said release it as FM. so finally.... finally, SYW comes out 6 years after the dance and initial discussions! wow! snail pace. official version says that the only time they waited for SN was in 2001-2002 when the boys were in the studio but she was promoting her solo album. but why weren't they all together in the studio between 1998 and 2001? why did she release a solo studio album during that time? doesn't she always say her best stuff and first pick always goes to FM? so i guess she considers all he TISL stuff crap and her songs on SYW to be much superior? just wondering...

ok, so it took 6 years since the first talk of the reunited FM studio album to the actual release of SYW.

now let's fast forward to 2009. FM is on tour. LB is consistently saying during the tour speeches that FM is considering going into studio right after the tour. he gets slammed by fans in 2010 when FM does not go into the studio. why did they not go? SN decided to record a solo album? wait what? isn't her band (FM) her first priority? doesn't she always say that? well not in 2010. fast forward to 2012. FM boys again try to record a solo album. SN again nixes it, but begrudgingly contributes the 30+ yo BN song for a mini-release at the start of the next tour. says she's doing FM a favor by holding on to every-3year schedule for tours. apparently she tours solo constantly because she doesn't care about favors to her solo career, FM comes first.

so...... FM should tour every 3 years. what happened? it's 2014! and they are touring? didn't they just tour in 2013??

and wait it's 2014, it's now been 5 years since the first talk of the FM studio album. SN is working on her 2nd studio album since 2009. i guess IYD songs and these new ones are all crap and not worth even offering to FM as the first pick - considering FM will always, always get a first pick of her best songs, right?

let's add up:

it has been 6 years (1997-2003) since the first talk of the FM studio album till the release.
it is only 2014 now. considering it has been only since 2009 that we heard the first talk of a new FM studio album, we need to wait at least another year, so that it's again 6 years from the first talk to the release. so 2015 in the best case scenario.

soooooo, that's how it works. FM is very very slow. and that is because they don't know how to work fast and LB is a perfectionist. or maybe it's because they have to wait for somebody and their solo career which comes first? who knows. or maybe that's the cycles thing LB always talks about: 3 year gaps from tour to tour, 6-year gaps from the first talk of the FM album till the album has even a fighting chance to come out.

now remember, all this is just imaginary. just bsing here. no truth in any of this whatsoever.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I've read, this new SN project is an unusual one -- in that it's being recorded really fast. I don't see why recording some tracks with Dave Stewart for a few weeks will affect the outcome or release of the next Fleetwood Mac album in any way.

If anything, I think it's great that she's spending some time with Dave Stewart now before the FM album is finished. It will certainly bring a happier and perhaps more creative Stevie Nicks into the Fleetwood Mac project.

And I also like the idea of the rest of the band (the musicians) spending time without her.
In some respects, I saw a Fleetwood Mac on the road last year play like they never have before.
This band is in a great place musically and it doesn't make sense for any time constraints to be put on anyone, or any recording process.
The beauty of not being beholden to a record company….

Last edited by dontlookdown; 04-28-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This band is in a great place musically and it doesn't make sense for any time constraints to be put on anyone, or any recording process.
The beauty of not being beholden to a record company….
yeah, except i don't know that the band is as happy with their freedom to wait as you seem to be implying. Mick's "we're hoping" doesn't sound like he exactly likes the situation.

and yes the beauty of not being beholden to a record company usually comes from being able to release stuff when you want to, but that in many cases seems to be faster than waiting for the record company to put you on their schedule. not slower.

their only time constrains these days are their ages and mortality. they wasted tons of time over the last 40 years, for one reason or another... seems weird that they'd want to waste more.

seems that some members of the band can just come and go... while others are not allowed to. if people talking about coming and going would grow a brain and maybe also a spine, that would be awesome. imo.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

talking about having a spine, i want to acknowledge SpyNote's vote for the option #3 (who wants stinkin' FM album anyway?) - thank you for your honesty!

wish some others would have been as honest in their voting, instead of clogging option #2, when in fact they may really not care about getting any new FM album ever again.

although i guess that's how you can read the option #2 - wait for SN, because with some luck that can mean you may never get new FM album.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
seems that some members of the band can just come and go... while others are not allowed to. if people talking about coming and going would grow a brain and maybe also a spine, that would be awesome. imo.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know.

I think it's easy to forget these are 5 people with lives - lives both in and out of FM.
They don't have anything to prove to anyone anymore, so I'm not sure any of them feel the same pressure a lot of fans are feeling. The fact that they committed to two big back to back tours, is huge and enough for me. The album will come when it's meant to be.
I just hope they keep playing and I hope they keep enjoying it. When that stops, they'll know.
In a perfect world, I would have rather had an album first, but it seems like the tour had to happen as soon as possible. Lightning strikes - maybe once, maybe twice.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In a perfect world, I would have rather had an album first, but it seems like the tour had to happen as soon as possible. Lightning strikes - maybe once, maybe twice.
i think the tour was scheduled the way it was to squeeze just enough of a break in between 2 tours to finish the album and have it in the can before the tour.

the boys were thinking they were smart. it backfired.

so they should go ahead with their initial plan anyway, finish and get the album out.
or if that was not their plan, at least it was my plan!

the way i see it, it's none of our concern to care about their personal lives. plus tours are money grabs, let's not fool ourselves. and it's our money they are grabbing. tons of it for just one ticket, too.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whatever happened to Mick threatening to go ahead WITHOUT Stevie as the "Men Of Mac"???
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The fact that they committed to two big back to back tours, is huge and enough for me.
I still want to see how big this current tour is going. I just want everyone to get signed onto it. I know they plan more shows, but if plans fall through and the dates we have now are all the dates there are, it kind of worries me about the future. I want to know that they're contractually bound to an extended tour.

Michele
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Whatever happened to Mick threatening to go ahead WITHOUT Stevie as the "Men Of Mac"???
i guess that particular threat worked. she came back pretty fast at the time.

maybe he's hoping it will work again this time, talking about her spending time away doing solo album.

but this time it's not Men of Mac, and it's not about the tour. this time even without Stevie, they have Fleetwood Mac, and they can get the album out as such, if they want to. they should.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I still want to see how big this current tour is going. I just want everyone to get signed onto it. I know they plan more shows, but if plans fall through and the dates we have now are all the dates there are, it kind of worries me about the future. I want to know that they're contractually bound to an extended tour.

Michele
yes, Australia may get shafted, again.

as well as Europe where Christine's hits are actually huge.