User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post

Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull - Not as bad I have heard. Kinda fun.
I saw this in the theater and really liked it - and I don't generally care for action/adventure movies. Temple of Doom is still my least favorite out of that series.

I've just now started back watching my Netflix movies - I kept the same three for close to a year.

I just got 3 new ones today:

La Notte (1962 - sounds like an Italian "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" but we'll see)
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing (1955 - starring Jennifer Jones & William Holden - in Technicolor )
Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003 - artsy Scarlett Johansson thing)

Ones I recently watched:

Sunset Boulevard ***** (Excellent) - this one never gets old for me.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes **** (Really Good)

Pat and Mike *** (Good) - cute Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy thing - not the greatest movie ever made, but it was cute.

Captain from Castile **** (Really Good) - Technicolor epic starring Tyrone Power - I got it because I wanted to see Cesar Romero in something besides Batman.

Cleopatra **** (Really Good) - the Claudette Colbert version from 1934. CC is great in this, and they told the story in under two hours, unlike the Taylor/Burton version.

Song of Bernadette **** (Really Good) - I really loved this movie, but I totally understand why Jennifer Jones played tramps in her next three films.

The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex *** (Good) - Bette Davis looks so great in this, but the ending drove me nuts; they had me right up until the last 15 minutes or so - I hated the way they had her beg him to not march off to be executed. It's definitely a product of its time, but I'm knocking off an asterisk for it (and for Erroll Flynn, who was like the Ricky Martin of Old Hollywood).
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

88 minutes with Al Pacino was great....five stars!Made Of Honor with Patrick Dempsey (eye candy and one of those fairy tale love things that I go ga-ga for)....five stars!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003 - artsy Scarlett Johansson thing)
I saw this awhile ago. Not bad, but not great either. It was missing some heart and soul, although it was sure nice to look at.

Report back on your findings.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
La Notte (1962 - sounds like an Italian "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" but we'll see)
I've never heard it described ... quite that way.

Quote:
Captain from Castile **** (Really Good) - Technicolor epic starring Tyrone Power - I got it because I wanted to see Cesar Romero in something besides Batman.
Did you recognize the triumphal march from this? (Two degrees to Fleetwood Mac)

My Rentals

Kenneth Clark's CIVILISATION (1969) is a major achievement in both historical & aesthetic terms. The scope is huge, of course, but the enormousness doesn't bog down; polyhistors like Clark & Jacques Barzun (& perhaps Dr. Jacob Bloody Bronowski) uncover remarkable connections between epochs & draw analogies with an easy precision. The result is completely engaging. Clark's text -- read by the author -- is dense but plainspoken: I recommend watching the program with the subtitles displayed.

I believe Wil, Romy, Anita, Tiff, & perhaps CADreaming would love this program.

Grade: A

KINDERGARTEN COP is Ivan Reitman's extraordinarily warm & humane film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Penelope Ann Miller, Linda Hunt, & Richard Tyson. Schwarz plays his character (cop undercover as teacher) with intelligence, taste, & emotional power. The children are a winning bunch -- each one a ultifaceted youth with desires, hopes, dreams, & disappointments. The childlike charm of the story navigates the perilous waters between the Scylla of sentimentality & the Charybdis of buffoonery with grace & conviction & near-perfect skill.

Grade: A

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmar71 View Post
88 minutes with Al Pacino was great....five stars!Made Of Honor with Patrick Dempsey (eye candy and one of those fairy tale love things that I go ga-ga for)....five stars!
i really liked 88 minutes alot~ but i love pacino~
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

La Vie En Rose ****
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
La Vie En Rose ****
I enjoyed this film very much. Marion Cotillard was simply superb. That scene where Edith is moving around her flat looking for her boyfriend (who had died) was so moving.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I enjoyed this film very much. Marion Cotillard was simply superb. That scene where Edith is moving around her flat looking for her boyfriend (who had died) was so moving.
I agree her performance is absolutely stunning, even if the melò pushed to the extremes, gave to the movie a claustrophobic atmosphere, at times.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart View Post
I agree her performance is absolutely stunning, even if the melò pushed to the extremes, gave to the movie a claustrophobic atmosphere, at times.

Romy
I've never seen this, but I saw the earlier "Edith et Marcel," & found it all rather soppy & pointless.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I've never seen this, but I saw the earlier "Edith et Marcel," & found it all rather soppy & pointless.
Yes, it definitely was soppy & pointless (as at least half of Lelouch movies ). La vie en rose has flaws too, especially in the direction by Olivier Dahan, who's talented but in this movie tries to go as safe as he can (who can blame him, the task was intimidating). Marion Cotillard though gives to the movie a way richer spectrum. Even only the scene where she suffers and collapses on the stage, when Piaf was near the end, gives to the movie a quite engaging emotional power (Very Bette Davis, David ) .

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw this awhile ago. Not bad, but not great either. It was missing some heart and soul, although it was sure nice to look at.

Report back on your findings.
Hey, I finally watched this. My first impression was that I really liked it - and I wasn't sure I would. What really struck me was how Scarlett Johansson has hardly any lines at all and yet she manages to convey everything so beautifully. I can kinda see what you mean about missing heart and soul - it's not a very "warm" movie. I'd give it four out of five stars.

I also enjoyed La Notte, though I might only rate that 3 out of 5. I appreciated the ambience very much, but it's probably not something I'd sit through again. It's vaguely similar to Virginia Woolf in that both films are about dysfunctional marriages, but that's about where the similarities end. The scene where Giovanni and Lidia are in the nightclub watching the dancers, with the lady balancing the glass of wine on her heard while she contorts herself, is probably one of my favorite scenes in a movie, ever.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's see I have watched a lot of movies lately
The Strangers - 4 stars - I liked the fact that it was more suspense and less gore. My hubby and I watched it Halloween night and we were very creeped out.
Hulk - 4 stars - I think Edward Norton is such a great actor, he really made this movie.
IronMan- 4 stars - I love Robert Downey Jr as an actor and this movie was excellent.
Reign Over Me - 4 stars - it was kinda strange to see Adam Sandler be serious in a movie but overall the movie was good and it even had some funny parts too!
Sex and the City - 5 stars - I loved loved loved this movie! I laughed and cried throughout the entire movie.
88 Minutes - 3 1/2 stars only because the movie got kinda strange at the end. If it wasnt for Al Pacino this movie would have only got 2 stars.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 4 stars - loved the crude humor. good stuff.
Juno - 5 stars - excellent movie and it should have won an oscar.
Get Smart - 3 stars - overall the movie was ok but I thought it would have been funnier.

I have The Happening, The Other Boleyn Girl and Hitman at home now.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Just saw...GET SMART. it was good...but not as good as I thought. 7 out of 10.

KUNG FU PANDA...I had seen it before but was stoned. 8.5 out of 10. Great movie.

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS...pfft...whew. Bad. 5 or 6 out of 10. I kept waiting for it to end. Christopher Lee and Samuel Jackson doing Count Dooku and Mace Windy were the only props.

THE INCREDIBLES (still a great movie!)...8.5 outta 10. Why haven't they made a sequel~?!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

I rent Falling Down every 2-3 months---guess i should just buy it.
Though it probably wasn't meant to be a comedy, it makes me laugh no matter how sad i feel. love the whammy burger scene!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rarely rent movies, but I did purchase "Hellboy 2" last Tuesday since Debbie & I had planned to purchase it - and I know she'd loved it.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."