The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question LB's 1968 Gibson for sale on Ebay?!

I was just doing my usual browsing of guitars on Ebay and to my shock I came across this...it's a guy claiming he has a 1968 Gibson B25 Acoustic (with a broken neck) that was Lindsey's. It's been (apparently) signed by Lindsey (the signature looks authentic but it would be no probs for any half-decent forger) and the guy even claims he has a photo of LB signing it......?!??!

Is this for real??

What do you think???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=920984320

Old 11-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1968 Gibbo

Yeah, I saw this a couple of nights ago, strange how us guitarists hunt these things down isn't it!

Difficult to say if it's original, don't know what the latest bid is. It was about $100 on Monday morning (not intended! Haha!). It's worth a bid if you can afford to get the headstock fixed, looks like a nasty snap though. Body looks in good shape.

I always though Lindsey was into Martins and recently Taylors, never had him down as a Gibson acoustic performer although I'm waiting for chiliD to give me the Buckingham acoustic guitar history pre 1987 if he's out there reading this!

I'm not sure though. You can never tell with Ebay.......

Old 11-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Maybe..

Just thinking about how the seller might get his hands on something like this: He says he's from the Seattle/Tacoma area in Washington.... I know that during his OOTC tour Lindsey gave a signed guitar to a Seattle radio station for a charity auction. I suppose there's a chance this might be the guy who won it and it might be for real.

As you say, forgeries aren't too hard to pull off. Maybe he'd be willing to share the photo to provide some proof??
Old 11-14-2002, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Maybe..

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
As you say, forgeries aren't too hard to pull off. Maybe he'd be willing to share the photo to provide some proof??
I'll email him and ask for the photo. If he sends me one I'll post it up!

p.s. thanks for that info.!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:09 AM

I'd be very suspicious. Whatever guitar Lindsey gave away nine years ago would probably not have been something as valuable as a 1968 Gibson. Secondly, guitarists don't tend to sign the guitars they play. Anything that is signed is usually to give away. But those tend to be cheaper models.

Of course, it is quite possible that this is a genuine article. Seteca, just give Lindsey a call. I heard David is actually Lindsey.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rumour killer: I know for a fact that David is NOT Lindsey. (actually, from knowing David personally, that somebody would THINK that he IS, is hilarious!) In fact, David doesn't even play guitar...however, is a FINE (understatement) keyboardist.

Lindsey most likely owns more guitars than he has ever been photographed playing, so who's to know if this is legit. I wouldn't put it past him to own some old Gibson acoustics. I know if *I* had Lindsey's supposed income, I'd have me hundreds of guitars!

The thing about "guitarists usually don't sign guitars they own" is a great point. But, maybe Lindsey DID own this guitar and the person who bought it FROM him had him sign it. Not being a luthier myself, that nasty headstock break, TO ME, looks irreparable.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation "Lindsey's" 68' Gibbo

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Not being a luthier myself, that nasty headstock break, TO ME, looks irreparable.
chili, that was what I was thinking. With the snap being situated at the end of the truss rod and actually looking like it has snapped the truss rod as well it looks to me as if a new neck would be the only option, more trouble with it being a set neck as well.

If it is genuine and is reasonably cheap it would look good repaired to unplayable condition and hung up for decoration. A good talking point around the dinner table with guests anyway.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey madformac, I was thinking the same thing. If it was less than $500 I would buy it and just display it a conversation piece.

Of course I would leave it broken and make up a much better story as to how it got broken ..........

hmmm....the possibilites are endless! lol!!
Old 11-15-2002, 01:47 PM

Come to think of it, Lindsey does have a penchant for throwing guitars when he's pissed. So maybe it is one of his guitars.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, how much would you guys pay for that RicK Turner that got hurled on New Years Eve with it's genuine missing chunk and everything?
Old 11-15-2002, 03:12 PM

I hate to look at even the small dings on my Martin. Never mind a big hole like that. I don't care who's played it. I want my guitars intact!
Old 11-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hmmmm.... it could be the real thing... or not. Lots of people like to get their guitars signed by musicians. And some artists don't like to sign instruments because of this very thing. Someone could easily label a guitar as Lindsey's just because it has his signature on it.

Maybe this person got a random guitar signed by Lindsey.... then broke the neck (to make look authentic)... and is now saying it was his.

OR

maybe I full of cr*p and it is the genuine article! lol

What I'm trying to say is that the signature may be Lindsey's, but not the guitar. Even if the person does have pictures of Lindsey signing it.... that doesn't really prove anything.

Just a possibility!

Kate
Old 11-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Hmmm....

http://deadzoom.com/member/tmuellera/7410.jpg

Look at THAT signature of Lindsey's on the guitar and look at THIS signature...totally different...you can READ the guitar one, you CANNOT read this one, and I THINK this photo sig is the real thing...that guitar, IMO is a rip.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm gonna have to go with Christy on this one, whoever forged the signature didn't do a great job with the last name He's never been that meticulous with his signature that I've ever seen. ....But kudos for the first name, not too poorly forged there...
-Brian
Old 11-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I think the same person signed both...comparing both signatures to the one I got from Lindsey at an Eric Clapton concert in 1976, they all could be from the same "hand".